SC6000 vs. CDJ3000

Hey! Crossfader has now posted a more fair (albeit a bit short) comparison, including a transparent Yes/No table of both decks. I am still quarrelling with the one or other explanation aka “it’s because they wanted to keep it familiar”, but overall it seems okay.

1 Like

No serato for the 6000 (as at today)

They should have put a category for Library prep software and that would have drove Pioneer absolutely bananas :banana:

SC6000 - Engine Prime and Rekordbox

CDJ3000 - Rekordbox only

1 Like

Seems that the CDJ Jog still in chineese plastic… No dual layer and twice the price… Denon, you have gold in your hand! Promote it!! Laidback Luke is maybe not the best ambassador you can have… sorry… (OK, it’s a personal taste, but a real DJ will be much more influent than a advertisement actor!) I saw once on youtube a “Denon DJ Session” with DJ Hell… Delicious… Why you don’t make other sessions??

1 Like

Interesting take on stuff, they keep their customer base happy. Guess what, at some point in the future, the prosumer base that’s running denon at home will pop up in the clubs and festivals massively and the current pioneer base will have died of old age, corona or both. It will Just take another decade or 2… Until then, I’ll just rock da house!

1 Like

Maybe I should reply to that Crossfader table thing…

1 Like

Well finally we see a tale of the tape. Hey, if these end up somewhere where I have to play I’ll use em. At the end of the day the only question I’ll have is… Does it dj?

Funny to see all the outlets scrambling to justify the lack of development with the CDJ3000. When you look at the tech and price the SC6000 is by far the better player. Rolling out excuses about familiarity and industry standard is pure nonsense. Saying that, i think Denon have dropped the ball a bit not being able to get large numbers of the SC6000 out before the CDJ3000.

3 Likes

orly, then what is?

ridiculous. all bigger venues have at least one spare player. just put it in there 10 minutes before your gig.

unfortunately the price for that “worthwhile update” is a joke.

see above.

that’s how pioneer would like it to be :stuck_out_tongue:

well done crossfader. the pioneer PR guys should be happy :sunglasses:

3 Likes

On SC media players Autoloop can be also triggered with direct 8 different sizes from the pads. Reading all what they write there is like these guys never played any of those decks.

2 Likes

That’s probably the biggest thing. With 4X the cost per layer on the CDJ-3000, you can buy two Prime players for about the price of one CDJ-3000 and have the redundancy of the other player’s dual layers if something goes wrong with one. I don’t see why a venue couldn’t just buy a pair of Ms and a pair of non-Ms OR just three of their preferred style and have a sort of absurd level of redundancy for as much or cheaper than the CDJ-3000s.

So the reliability aspect, however hypothetical it is right now, is offset by the price difference. So what really is there left to reason on the subject? Sound quality? Pioneer DJ is now suddenly using a bunch of sample rate conversion stuff on the players like Prime is. Is the CDJ-3000’s method better because it’s not having to do two layers on one deck? I don’t know… possibly, but it’s also correct that people have been complaining about the V10’s SRC compared prior DJMs, so the move to SRC on the player might have been them attempting to mitigate the new mixer’s SRC quality problems.

Anyway, SRC on the mixer is optional for Denon DJ users, and InMusic can certainly move to a layer adaptive sample rate method or give users the choice of player rate in the utility/preferences settings. If that happens, then there’s really not much compelling about the CDJ-3000 except for the appeal of sticking to a brand and an ecosystem. And again, that’s purely under the assumption people can even hear the difference in all the SRC. The old reference method of rate-matching Pioneer DJ had as its player sonic trump card’s been abandoned by them.

1 Like

I’d rather run into a player that takes 10 minutes to convert than encouter a player that totally doesn’t understand my complete database

6 Likes

I hope Denon DJ are planning to enter that $299 - $499 USD bracket.

Catch all youths with limited budget.

Single layer, 4 pads like the Go or the Numark Scratch mixer. if that helps drive down the cost.

Something like the CDJ 350/DJM 250 combo.

Its amazing how Pioneer has every end of the market cornered.

You got only 200quid - DDJ 200 up to the 3000 V10.

1 Like

who ever do you mean lolol

that’s the main point. after all the fuzz about it, i’d like to hear a direct comparison: sc5/6000 and nxs2 cdj side by side.

You mean for an all-in-one or a single single-layer deck? The GO is a thousand bucks or people can buy a single dual-layer Prime player and a little micro mixer.

Or another tactic might be to introduce other brands to Engine OS to reach that goal… like Numark. People start on a lower budget brand and when they are ready to step up the game enter the Denon DJ pro line up

3 Likes

All in One or modular. Just the proper bedroom DJ market. Cheapest prime is the GO and thats still a cool thousand.

I think it will be a big ask to expect someone to start their djing hobby with rekordbox and their entry to mid-tier gear, then switch to Denon at their prime.

Pioneer is also selling a dream with the entry level stuff, cradle to grave kinda approach.

Many of us here took that leap of faith, and stuck around long enough to start reaping the benefits, perhaps that says more of our personalities than whatever Denon DJ promised us.

We love Tech, we are willing to contribute and most importantly we are “patient” enough.

Will that not confuse people a bit? I dont know, i’m not in marketing lol. I may be talking 5h1t.

@mufasa it might confuse at first, but think of it like Android. InMusic owns several brands themselves and can license Engine OS to other brands

2 Likes

So the product will become ENGINE OS or ENGINE DJ rather than Denon/Numark etc. Thats another interesting approach.

That will be massive though, release minimum specs for third party hardware makers…damn… :moneybag: :money_with_wings: :moneybag: :money_with_wings: :moneybag: :money_mouth_face:

First off, with keylock off or at zero pitch and using the SPDIF out, all Pioneers from the CDJ-1000mk3 to the CDJ-Tour1 will produce the same exact bit stream. I think the difference is pretty easy to hear with dense, complicated music and assuming you’re not overloading the sound system or your ears/brain or in a really raw-sounding, reverberant space. Try playing industrial, shoegazer, or heavily-layered balearic or tech trance on the Prime player SRC and it’s noticeable enough comparing Prime to old Pioneer DJ with keylock off on both that I don’t even find myself enjoying the music like I should be. It sounds processed and degraded. Sure, not a big deal with minimal techno, and somewhere in the middle with everything else. The question should be does the CDJ-3000 use some fandangled SRC like you might see in Burmester Audiosystems’ upsamplers or on the DN-X1700. If it doesn’t then it’s probably not a huge step up from the realtime SRC also used on Prime. Regardless, there are ways to make Prime sound as good or better (taking into account keylock) than old Pioneer, which is largely what Prime’s competing with for the nearterm, anyway. With how Pioneer DJ has marketed the 32bit floating point, 96khz common processing being done on the CDj-3000, I don’t think at this point they’re going to back track from that, even if it is sort of nonsense they’re promoting as being an advantage.