SC6000 vs. CDJ3000

But you get two decks and mixer. What’s the point of two 300-500 dollar single-layer decks with over-powered ARM chips that should each be doing two layers on one? That’d probably cut into InMusic profits due to the cost still being mostly the same. Not to mention for the user they still have to get a mixer.

Agree with open architecture across brandings.

It’s all in the mindset, and psychology.

People can scale up as needed.

Say the decks SC1100 and X1400 2 channel mixer are 399 a pop, buy 2 decks to start with, use a cheap mixer (eg ebay behringer or numark or akai).

They start enjoying it, but think hey maybe things will be tighter if i have the denon 399 mixer as well, they flog their mixer on ebay, invest in X1400

and that’s exactly what i’d like to hear. just out of curiosity. i don’t have the luxury of having an sc and a cdj together at the same place at the same time.

Any bit-perfect digital transport with a SPDIF will give you the exact same PCM bit stream as an old Pioneer DJ player (pre-CDJ-3000) when it’s at zero pitch. A red-book CD player, a home media server, your computer with a SPDIF out on it running Foobar. Doesn’t matter. You can hook the Prime mixer up to your computer with USB and run any kernel/ASIO/CoreAudio app with a track on it then play the same thing on the Prime player into the mixer over USB. Just remember to change the mixer sample rate to the rate of the track when you play from the computer USB and remember to put the mixer back to 96khz for playing from the Prime deck. That will let you compare without the need to get an old Pioneer DJ player. Personally, I think you’re better off going into some common outboard DAC/DSP/Receiver of known fidelity rather than a DJ mixer, but this will work to hear at least the difference between the original bit-perfect stream and all the SRC. Hint: if you do use the Prime mixer, set the tone controls to 12 o’clock.

1 Like

sure that’s always a way but i usually like to use the original just in case. did you verify yourself that the older ones are really 100% neutral?

hehe of course

They’re bit-perfect at zero pitch. It’s the exact 1s and 0s of the original lossless audio file coming out that SPDIF.

1 Like

I e always found the digital to analog conversion on the x1800 to be lacking. The SC600 (and my old 5000’s) sounded worlds better in the upper mid range and highs when connected to the digital inputs on a djm.

A separate thread

For me there are to things in those reviews:

1. Reliability - i have not hot nad problems with sc5000m after year of using it about 15h weekly - most problems which affects me are with x1800 (knob deadzone, fx limiter, and loose knobs).

2. Dj are familiar with pioneer and we need to keep it similar - which for me is a total bulls…t. DJ is not monkey who learned 10y ago to push one button in one special place and that is what need to be always.

Also for me rekordbox vs engine prime - for me if demon players have a capability then let’s do everything we can on players - things as renaming playlist easy management, crates, cue point colors and names. I prefer to spend time on player not PC.

I think one thing the pioneer player is better is the view, management of tracks but that should be easy to fix by denon.

1 Like

Unfortunately I noticed a lot of djs just doing that. If the function they expected to be somewhere is in different place, they are getting lost like a child in the fog… But on the other hand, many djs adapted and many also still adapt, and that is very positive.

1 Like

They would have needed a map and a compass in the latest 90’s-early 2000’s. Every mixer at every gig was different. :-p

4 Likes

I wonder why no one is comparing the M version head to head with the pioneer.

Remember Denon’s propaganda campaign in the beginning about the “past meets future” for the M version. :laughing:

I can’t wait to see Denon’s leaked finally unveiled.

I learned to dj in these times, and I can honestly say - I can use any dj equipment now. Vinyl, media player, midi controller, anything what is on the venue (if I have the medium to use it of course - sold my vinyl collection already a year ago). It’s a shame that so many modern djs have such problems to adapt.

1 Like

Well - but what if a Home DJ starting with Denon Prime players and is moving to a first gig in the club and a PioneerDJ player is there. You can’t convert that Prime stick on the fly to rekordbox. So you need to have a rekordbox collection as well aside from your Engine Library. Either you maintain 2 collections or you need to rely on conversion tools which might be tricky in the future (XML compatibility).

So the big question is. As a HomeDJ trying to get a Club DJ, would I go with DenonDJ and hope the venue would install one (certainly not because of me) or would I go with the technology they got installed to be prepared to use it properly if I get a chance.

At the time when I was working in clubs, it was just about turntables, but even at that time I was buying Technics 1210MK2 because the club got them installed and I wanted to exercise on the same gear I was using at the club. From that angle it is a smart move from PioneerDJ to have gear in all price categories using similar functions and layouts.

I think if Denon DJ wants to challenge this, they need a much more diversive portfolio in gear. Not because of me - my time in clubs as DJ is over…

Off cause this is different when talking about Event / Mobile DJ’s who are their own boss and don’t want to play in clubs…

You’re right when talking about DJ’s developed the skills over time. For Newcomers it is even harder to get there where you are today.

I use mainly Denon dj gear, but if there is a different equimpent in the venue, I try to get the info upfront. If I can’t I just first make my playlist in Engine, then I just do the same in Rekordbox (but only this playlist for this evening. I don’t bother in maintaining more than one collection. Not needed.

GO, 2 and 4. Should there be more for home DJ’s?

Maybe a pancake spinner (but better than vl12)

1 Like

What I meant is at a lower price point. The GO is still at a 1000$

1 Like