Denon needs to work on marketing the SC6000

I’m referring to the native file format an internal drive will come in when you buy a Mac or Windows.

The start up drive.

I’m aware that we can use Fat32 and ExFat but I’m not referring to that now.

My apologies. I thought you were referring to using an external drive with Engine Prime.

Well that all drifted off a lot from [quote=“Antchi, post:13, topic:26214”] We’ve actually got every function that was listed with the decks. Anything else that we get now is a bonus. [/quote]. Lol

I was just saying that before any of us could buy an SC5000, that first great prime. There was a list of things it did. Some people might have assumed that any of the listed functions meant “… all that and with gold plated bells on” rather than just “Beatgrid” - likewise when something says “with built in effects” some people might think that’ll be 499 effects, not 6, but that’s what happens with assumption haha.

All three elements, the hardware, the firmware and the software have all come along a huge amount since the release. Some of the new features have been seriously amazing!

I do think that Engine Prime (and some of the shared firmware algorithms which understandably “have” to match Engine Prime) were almost In a kind of suspended animation until about 6 months ago…beatgrid, downbeat detection, BPM Etc. But that kinda makes sense like why improve Beatgrids until bpm detect is enhanced etc. Hopefully once some of those bottleneck functions are uncorked, even more improvements will be freer flowing

I think Denon should go back to letting the users showcase Denon DJ. Like they used to do in the early days of the DN-S1000/3000/5000s. Let users upload videos of them using their kit. The best ones to be added to their website/Facebook page.
Anybody remember these?

And who could forget DJ Shy?

6 Likes

Denon did enough with the prime series to set a bar for the release of the cdj 3000.

Never before in history has everybody in the world was expecting pioneer to come out with a Denon beater. All first reviews were pitted against denon features regardless if denon was mentioned or not. Pioneer fanboys wanted a prime with a pioneer logo :joy:

Denon made a lot of gains in the marketing dept.

4 Likes

Denon do this on their Facebook social groups. I looked at a lot of home DJ videos to see sc5000s which I went for, in use by other open format DJs. Only the scratching videos got ignored. Not my thing, not my clients thing either.

But no one at denon seems to control what gets put up on those pages very well , so some of their videos don’t feature any denon gear at all, which is odd, promoting other brands.

What Denon can do is work Engine Prime and engine os to make it more easier and comfortable to bring Rekordbox users over.

Here’s rane marketing which is something you would never thought would happen

2 Likes

" The best ones to be added to their website/Facebook page." The above is key, BEST as in good routines featuring at the very least a pair of SC5000/6000s. Obviously they need to vet the videos better.

1 Like

I’m hoping that Denon DJ and Traktor Pro can get together and make HID support for all Denon Prime players a reality.

3 Likes

Denon need to sponsor an ongoing show like this…

This is how you entrench yourself into the scene. I have watched countless episodes of this show and dreamed of owning the gear that had been showcased along the way. Give these Pros an opportunity to play on the gear, whilst being paid to promote their own personal “brand” along the way. It’s a win/win! Of course, at first, it’s going to be costly on Denon’s part. But it will pay in dividends later on.

3 Likes

This would be a fantastic idea.

1 Like

Yeah, it would be great! But, they would have to get the heavy-hitters. No one wants to see a bunch of B-Team DJs promote B-Team (sorry, but for now it’s true) gear.

Heavy hitters aren’t hitting lately.

3 Likes

The B Team in action at Stone Henge :dizzy_face:

1 Like

I popped over to the Pio support forums a few days ago and checked out anyone having any issues with the CDJ-3000.

Now I expected a few user issues from people who hadn’t read the manual (most issues on forums come under this) but I wasn’t prepared to see stability issues with them.

From a company that has been posting a lot about stability as an obvious ‘dig’ I was surprised to read about freezing screens, rough feeling jog wheels pitch bend inaccuracies and a few more that I have forgotten. Manufacturing defects slip through but you’d expect QA to test every feature on every player for that price.

I get that there will be a few quirks that people will find when items get into the wild under real testing scenarios but as a units are starting to trickle though now I am seeing a few gripes.

Pio did Denon DJ a free advert with the CDJ-3000. They was pitted against each other (naturally) and while the CDJ-3000 was a solid incremental update, it wasn’t anything fresh or exciting.

With the new design language on the CDJ-3000 it also leaves the two players looking similar in regards to layout of cue buttons, screen size and feature set (on screen key adjust etc). This aligns them both but also makes it easier to switch between the brands and with the Prime gear supporting Rekordbox loaded files, there will be less of a workflow transition.

Pio just brought up the CDJ-3000s feature set to that where people changing between the two brands would be less of a headache and could possibly turn DJs who like to get technical to the way of the Primes.

Big room/festival DJs often (but not all of the time) like to play it uber safe. They don’t take risks. They put a track on mix into it and mix out of it in an order that was predefined with very little room for freestyling. The CDJ-3000 is in their comfort zone and less features to get their head around when they bump into one.

The Primes have a technical superiority and lend themselves better to creativity and once DJs on Pioneer DJ gear get used to the CDJ-3000 I feel the transitions could come from the DJs that want more.

The content needs to be out there showing technical mixing and live remixing which in turn needs to go viral. The right DJs showing off all that can be done on the right platforms and it needs to be constant.

The CDJ-3000 has left many commenters on FB, Instagram, YouTube, DJ Techtools, DJ Worx, DigitalDJTips etc all saying they needed to do more as a ‘like-for-like’ was expected. I feel the tide is slowly turning when the love of a SC range player is where the XDJ players are.

Fun times ahead.

3 Likes

It is very tricky to get big name DJs to cheerlead the gear that isn’t installed as standard. Pioneer DJ don’t need it as their gear is already there.

I think one of the biggest problems with top DJs promoting DJ gear is that you have to enter exclusivity agreements and when the said gear isn’t in many DJ boxes, you’ll have to travel with Primes or ask for them to be provided. Travelling with SC6000s on planes to ensure you are staying contractually legit makes it all a nightmare and more trouble than it’s worth (do you carry extra in case it gets lost or left behind?).

Laidback Luke/Tiesto/Oakenfold/Heldens turns up to a gig and there is only CDJs there. The promoter probably didn’t understand the difference or the “small-town Greek island hire company” didn’t stock them and there is no time to get any as he is on in 30 minutes. I DJed events on a Greek island that booked big names and can confirm this is true. In the UK the equipment riders for DJs that I have encountered usually come with “CDJ-2000/DJM-900 or equivalent” for gear. I’m not even sure what would happen if they had SC5000s?

Does the gig still go ahead knowing that he will most probably get photographed using this kit by the very enthusiastic promoter to stick on their socials? It goes ahead but gets memorialised on the interwebs forever with people posting how “DJ blank switched to Pioneer”.

It is hard to get anyone to promote the gear that isn’t in many booths as standard, especially when on the road and relying on local people to supply. Unless there is a deal where the DJ has to have a set amount of gigs per year photographed with it? I’m unsure how they could entice top names when they know that there will be times when it isn’t possible to use Primes. All it does it fuel the fanboys that say “Ha! DJ x switched back!” Etc.

This all boils down to the education of the influencer DJs and for them to try something new. How they do it it tricky but it is something that will tske a lot of time and patience but Pioneer DJ have just handed Denon DJ an open shot and feel that they should plan the next move wisely. Rick Parkinson came from Pioneer DJ and worked with many DJs. He can start to push these under their noses and see how it all pans out.

3 Likes

There’s the copyright issue to overcome though. If Denon were to handle that issue for the top rated videos that they would post then that could work. Wouldn’t cost much.

2 Likes

FWIW, Tijs was only one year on-board.

1 Like

Haha, true!!

He’s a hasbeen! No longer relevant to anyone, including himself. Give it up, Oakie, LOL!