SC6000 vs. CDJ3000

I’ve owned every standalone prime unit thus far and they’ve all been absolute tanks. Very surprised to hear they’re “unreliable” for sure.

2 Likes

If denon just fix the master/beat above grid to display beatmatch without using sync, I’ll be the happiest man on earth with my sc6000

2 Likes

I can beatmatch without this help… I bet many djs can. If You want this to be moving click sync on the player that needs to be master. It will move and none other player will sync until You press sync on other decks.

The problem isnt beatmatching itself, but its a lot harder to get in quantize on songs that doesnt have bass early on/on acapellas. And i prefer the pins over the bars due to more accuracy.

1 Like

So just press sync to activate it? If you’re using sync as a tool for a specific purpose like quantize then I don’t see the problem. The problem comes when new DJ’s use sync as a replacement for their ears, then get stuck when they DJ in venues with kit that’s a couple of generations old.

In older firmware you could get the bars moving by just simply not assigning a master deck, not sure whether that’s still the case in 1.6.1 but worth a try :+1:

Only press sync on the deck that You want to have as master and thats it.

1 Like

And that is, even tho we disgussed this one couple of months ago, a horrible solution and compensating for something that is not working as its supposed to.

the real problem is old DJ’s banging on about using your ears when that time has long since past.

you do you though and let others do as they please.

1 Like

Beatmatching by ear is always worthwhile to learn. I’m not against sync when used as a supplemental skill - in-fact I’ve seen & heard some killer mixes that simply wouldn’t be possible without sync (I’ve also stated this in past posts so you might like to check those out before going on the attack).

My point in that post is certainly here in the UK, CDJ 2000 (non-nexus units, without sync) or older are not uncommon to find in venues as house kit (if a big artist is playing newer kit will be hired in as needed). Stick a sync DJ in front of those and watch everyone leave the dancefloor.

9 Likes

thats the thing, nobody cares if your against sync at any point in time or in any situation. The argument is done and has been done for 20 years.

im not on the attack but im sick of hearing it to be honest, tune selection and the way you do it is what counts not that a computer holds the beat for you.

ive noticed a few on here with the same attitude, wake up folks that ships sailed and it aint never coming back.

No worries. The discussion, if any, will stop when computers will DJ before the crowd. A crowd does not care about track choice either, so it will be soon…

It’s all about explaining a preference. No arguments needed, because there’s no right or wrong.

My dad was a carpenter. I wish he (R.I.P.) was still with us, because I would place him wayyy above prefab; at any day of the week. :relieved:

2 Likes

I’d say you’re 50% right here, as someone that’s gone through the full works, from Technics to the Denons so can very much beat match by ear, but when I first got Serato, I didn’t see the point anymore. I wasn’t proving anything to anyone, and it made no difference to anyone listening.

The problem comes when a track hasn’t gridded correctly, or you are in gear with a s*** sync and you have to revert to ears. If you’ve never learnt the skill, you simply can’t bail yourself out, and then that potentially becomes a problem. I noticed this when (earlier adopter) moving to the SC5Ks and the beat grids were awful. I’m actually glad they were though as I turned off sync and went back to my ears and got the joy of mixing back.

100% of the time track selection and programming a set trumps mixing though.

3 Likes

My perspective on what sync vs using ears is that every dj should do as much as possible to avoid continuously using their headphones.

Doesn’t matter how well you grid and prep you will always need headphones to verify things are phase synced as well as for verifying levels.

I think that using sync to DJ is a lot like driving an automatic transmission car.

Every old school racer can argue that you don’t know how to drive properly or you will choke if someone gave you a car with 3 pedals and a manual shifter, and yet here we are with a ton of drivers who are still getting the job done the same as before with automatic transmissions.

I too will look and judge those who can’t beat match but I do that quietly in my head. Nobody on the other side of the decks cares what buttons are pressed.

3 Likes

Calm down and read what I actually wrote please.

1 Like

Oh God, the thread has devolved into a debate on SYNC?!?

4 Likes

The annual SYNC jamboree. Its always a party!

2 Likes

Jeej, a sync flamewar!

Personally I dont really care anymore of you use sync or not. But do take this advice from an old dog: checking and adjusting beatgrids maybe manageable in a small library, but once your library grows it won’t be anymore. And there is a lot of hardware that doesn’t support variable beatgrids. Also there are tracks with 2/4 measures in between 4/4 measures, or even 3/4 troughout (yes I do mix 3/4 from time to time! it’s fun, people don’t expect it!). Anyway, I can think of a lot of situations where sync has it’s limits. Especially on a Denon where you can’t adjust the tracks BPM on the player itself.

The choice is up to you: be limited by your hardware, even if it get’s you 90% of the way, or go the whole 9 yards, and at least learn to do it manually.

PS: an Airbus A380, and actually any current jetplane can land fully automated: if someone would talk you through it, even you can set to autopilot to land it. Still, anyone who learns to fly an aeroplane first has to learn how to fly it manually. Why? Because there are still a ton of situations where landing by autopilot won’t end well. Be it because of bad weather, because the ILS radios at the landing strip go down, because you’re landing ar an airport without ILS, because some of your avionics go down, or because you’re flying a plane with older avionics… I think that’s a much better comparison than automatic car transmissions. And even then, one day or another you’ll travel to Europe and rent a car with a manual transmission.

1 Like

Might have been better to just not bother posting that seeing as everyone else had stopped, rather than carrying it on…

Yeah while I fell for it as well, we need to get this back on-topic!

Sooo ehm any news about SC6000 vs. CDJ3000?? :grimacing: