Release 1.6 for prime 4 still beta?

In my opinion, a nice Christmas present will be given to us :shushing_face: :wink: :partying_face:

1 Like

Beta 11, but not “wow” IMO - because those of us not in the private beta team (i.e. most of us) are still stuck with using beta 2, or something prior to that which has broken functionality or features missing.

Assuming these newer builds actually fixed something, why have they not been released - even as a public beta? Wouldn’t it have been beneficial to have more testers?

Are they still so broken that they cannot be released?

Well, you answered yourself: They are not perfect yet for release so not released. Simple as that. We are working on it. I found some issues that I think need to be fixed. So yes, we are still beta testing the software and reporting to devs so they can fix it for You.

1 Like

Ah, but is it ever likely to be? If it needed to be perfect before release, surely we’d still be using the first ever version (because it was released, therefore must have been perfect).

v1.5 got released. Wasn’t perfect. v1.6 beta2 got released. Wasn’t perfect.

I think I see a pattern. :stuck_out_tongue:

We’re now all waiting for the released version to be perfect. :grin:

Well, we want it to be as good as possible. Looking at Your attitude, I have a feeling nothing will be perfect enough…

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with my attitude. I’m playing devil’s advocate here.

I can’t understand why updates are being held back. Denon already has a bad rep for delays. Why make it worse?

If 1.6 b2 was deemed good enough for public testing, why not release b3-b11 so at least we can all see that something is happening and issues are being addressed?

As it is, we’ve had to continually question progress until finally someone chirps up and says it’s happening behind the scenes.

A bit late in the day now perhaps, but if we’d been kept in the loop more, the forum would be seeing more positive posts.

2 Likes

As @kradcliffe wrote - we can’t say anything about the beta tests in public. You need to be patient, as we are doing our best to help Denon deliver the update as fast as possible and in find as many bugs as we can. Some things take time, and we should not rush the devs to work faster. More quality less issues but slower is actually better. If there will be an update that is possible for sharing, someone from Denon will tell that in public eventually.

3 Likes

This is obvious.

I totally agree with PK: it would also have been fair to those who installed the BETA versions (E.P. and E.OS) and also published the various bugs, to know that they were fixed in later betas.

There will always be BUGs as long as they are searched for. Let’s take V1.6BETA2 as a reference: surely you “private betatesters” will have tried it long before releasing it, and someone up above will have said “OK it’s cooked to the right point, let’s feed it to other people”. Well after a few days the first BUGS had already appeared, despite the numerous tests you have done.

This is to say that the more people try the new firmware, the faster the BUGs will be found. If I install the beta version it will be obvious that I will be able to find BUGs, if I don’t want BUGs I will have to install the official version, it’s up to me to choose. So if the B11 were released without being perfect, it would only be important to me that:

1. That it is possible to go back to a previous version.

2. That my P4 does not explode or that it is permanently damaged.

1 Like

I am pretty sure beta testers are not even allowed to suggest they are beta testers under their NDA for the exact reasons in this thread which is no matter what is said, you’re opening a can of worms. At least that’s how we treat our beta testers in my company and our NDA’s.

3 Likes