Problems with the sweep FX section input after update 1.2

Only channel gain will affect the gate’s response

1 Like

@Alan_inMusic , I think the gate could use another look by the dev team. It should sound and behave better than it currently does. If you disagree, I would love to see a video demonstrating its full use (both directions) :slight_smile:

Yeah, master predictably has no effect. Turning up the gain/trims to where the channel is running just below clipping and that useless gap on the far right of Gate finally starts doing something. Ok. Well that makes sense.

1 Like

We could DM in Dutch: Ik snap namelijk ook niet helemaal wat nu wel en niet werkt. :sunglasses:

Ehm. Your describing the filter knob here, am I wrong?

Tested all on channel1 and seems to work like before. Gate to the right has never been good…

1 Like

I’ll check with one of the marketing guys to see if there is a video online demonstrating this effect.

And if you could quantify “better than it currently does” i can pass that info on to the devs

1 Like

I fount out that I have to turn the master chanmel to +10 to get the Sweep Effects working. If i set master to +0 it works ■■■■. Then the Sweep Effects work great except the Gate, which still behaves very broken. Kills the track competely or doesn’t give the effect needed. So I think Denon needs to take a serious look at the input to the Sweep Effects. It seems like the recieving to the Effects in order to get the effect is really ■■■■. I hope someone from Denon is reading this and will take a look at it.

It might work better if it was somehow based on the relative peaks and the dynamics of the track and not just the crude peak levels, but I’m not entirely sure how you’d do that. Rane’s “pseudo” meters utilize a slight analysis of RMS for the lower portion of their metering below the top peak. Maybe it’s not that hard to do a rough calculation of that over time to then judge relative peaks from RMS rather than just the transient metering peak. I don’t know.

At least it does something and we know now. Might want to put that in the next version of the manual.

The inputs have been turned down 15dB, everyone needs to turn the gain to the right to get the levels they were before. I have mine on the first dot left of 12 o’clock.

@wezzy-k SweepFX seem to rely on levels so put more audio through them.

The problem is, when I turned the knob 5% to the right before the update, it at least did the right thing. Now turn it to the right is completely broken, causr it now just kills the track by an instant.

I don’t understand what you use the gate for while mixing? Gate cuts sound.

Yess And Gate cuts the lower sounds on a regular Pioneer or Allen &Health so you can use the bassline of track 2 to your current trsck without having a double bassline and sound distortion going on.

You use the filter knob for that! Turning that slightly to the right filters the baseline.

When I do that it filters much more then the bassline on my mixer.

I think you have another version of the X1800 then. A gate cuts audio completely at a certain frequency threshold. That’s why it’s called a gate… Open/close.

If A&H and Pioneer seem to do otherwise, they use the wrong name for it.

@Alan_inMusic

It would be difficult for me to describe it in words perhaps but I will get back to you for sure once I give it some thought; maybe a video or two might be better if I have time.

If it helps, my expectations are based on my past experience with Gate and other hardware AND software available out there.

Hope you know this is all constructive criticism and I love my setup and couldn’t be happier with my move to the Prime systems from the competitor.

Cheers,

Shain

Did it ever cut just the low sound on the X1800, because how InMusic is describing it now finally is how it does work.

Don’t be afraid of the gain/trim knobs. They’re meant to be adjusted. Bounce your meters so on loud passages the peaks are over the zero and the troughs are beneath. Save the second to top LED as your accidents-happen headroom and don’t intentionally go into blue. Top LED is clip. Very dynamic tracks might need to be up to the third to top LED (top white), while compressed tracks will be just up to the zero or a little higher. Use your ears to gauge the average loudness and adjust those gain/trims accordingly. Not all tracks are created equal.

I truely love then Denon Setup, but the Gate is my only critisism about the mixer

1 Like

maybe edit the title of your thread for accuracy and future searches by others.

Currently reads “Sweep FX section completely broken after 1.2 update” but this is not true :slight_smile: might be misleading to others who are looking to update their mixer. Just saying…

Just editted the Topic to more accuracy

It would be nice if all four sweep fx had settings in the utility menu (like noise does) to alter the parameters to the user’s liking.