Problem with effects

I’d just like to add for some parity here… I have a Mastersounds FX unit, it’s been designed and built by arguably the most experienced DJ equipment designer on the planet.

If I throw the echo effect in hard it will drastically increase the overall level of the mix, and from 20 years of using Pioneer mixers (currently a DJM-900 at our residency), that will also drastically increase the master level if you throw the effect in hard.

I’ve found on the Prime 2 that you can click the ‘FX time’ knob and adjust the overall parameter level of the effect, with more obviously being much more robust. I’m sure there is some way of tweaking this on the Prime 4 too.

Yes, the Prime 4 also has a handy knob to adjust Wet / dry on the effect and thus set the echo level. This is the only way to use the Echo of the FX effects without getting a bad volume boost.

Does it have ‘parameter’ adjustment too? Because I would say use that as the way of setting how robust the effect is, then wet/dry for mixing the effect in.

On the Prime 4, each of the FX rotary knobs has its own function which may depend on the type of effect. The knob I wrote above is for wet / dry. What you can adjust for each effect is written in the user manual (see page 54):

Yeah so in the examples above they are using echo… setting the parameter lower on the Prime 2 provides a more subtle effect for those who want to do it.

It seems people are just throwing the effect in full then complaining about the level going up on the channel… echo is literally layering the sound over itself multiple times so having it go in hard will increase the overall levels dramatically… as it does on any device.

1 Like

:rofl:

This is what I figured also. There are some effects you can throw in and then there’s some you got to bring in.

2 Likes

Exactly that haha… I’ve been mixing on DJM mixers for over 20yrs and not once have i whacked the FX gain round to full before hitting the on/off button, doing it with echo would be harsh as hell.

Guys video above he is literally whacking the wet dry round to full then complaining the levels go up, have some finesse lol.

1 Like

Let’s say that the FX effects we have are not good compared to the competition (Pioneer), but actually if you want to use the Echo FX without getting rapid volume increases it is right to do as you say, i.e. activate the effect and then gradually increase Wet / Dry. Some people do not do it because they are in a hurry and prefer to press the enable button only.

But that’s all part of practising and skills picked up from hours upon hours of DJing… I’ve found the echo effect on the Prime to work really well, and I currently use FX right across the board, it’s certainly different but with some tweaking it sounds very nice.

This is not supposed to happen @MrWilks . Problem with effects - #49 by MrWilks.

There is supposed to be a difference in levels but not like that.

I disagree, threw the wet/dry in full whack on an effect that literally layers the music over itself multiple times… the same would happen on any effects unit/mixer in that situation.

It didn’t used to do it previous to 1.3.2 (IIRC).

Unfortunately I don’t want to go back due to downgrading issues but it was introduced with an update. Around the Serato DJ implementation.

1 Like

Just tested my Mastersounds FX unit, put the parameter round fairly high in the echo effect then whacked the wet/dry knob on the mixer round and it massively increased the overall level, til the VU meters were clipping.

So I guess if it’s good enough for Andy Rigby-Jones it’s good enough for us mere mortals.

1 Like

I know those effectors. They are called echo chambers and are used a lot after people have smoked a big fatty :biting_lip::dash: and are jamming in the studio.

For some clarity i was not looking at the echo i was looking at the filter (Sweep fx) on the channle not on the fx section, just seem a bit odd that when filtering you are getting a bigger signal out of the unit.

Are the FX problems now fixed?