Next Engine OS catch up

OK then, so you don’t want these things because the competion has them. So why did you say “look at the competition”?

If you don’t want it to be made similar to the competition, then surely it can just stay as is.

We’re not going to get very far if all you say in reply to things is “no”.

1 Like

“we” don’t need to get anywhere because we’re already there. it’s neither my duty nor my interest to convince you. but despite that i explained it with examples. if you don’t get it or simply don’t share this position that’s fine.

1 Like

Hmm…must’ve missed that part. Anyway, the fact remains. Your “essentials” are not essentials.

2 Likes

indeed :stuck_out_tongue:

no facts here at all. as mentioned, this is based on conventions which developed and matured over time.

That’s perfectly acceptable. Buying without research isnt

Wrong again. Fact = a thing that is known to be true.

Is it true that the Denon products work (as they stand now)? Answer = yes.

Is it true that the products do not require any of the listed “essentials” in order to function as DJ equipment? Answer = yes.

Therefore is it true that the listed “essentials” are actually not essential to the use of said products? Answer = yes.

It is a “convention” to have a variety of products on the market, which do not all have exactly the same feature set.

Is it not a “convention” for each product to be identical to a competitors product.

I still believe that your “convention” is simply…It has be on the Denon equipment because Pioneer have it.

3 Likes

already answered that Next Engine OS catch up - #10 by joxani

and you’re the one to decide that?

answer = in a restricted way if for example you think about the highs.

that goes for the majority of features they have. but yet everyone would complain if for example the display would be black & white. wouldn’t change the functionality but nobody would buy them. you get the idea now?

how many times do i have to repeat that this is not what i’m after?

This argument “pioneer Has it denon do not need to” whatttt?

Copy good things, do better on other ones and lose the crap. This is normal healthy approach. Not always there is need to be denon or pioneer way. It could be common way.

Eh? No, I’m not the one that decides the dictionary definition of a fact. Look it up yourself if you need to.

It’s only a very small number of people who are complaining about the HF response. The vast majority probably wouldn’t even notice. I personally would say it’s a beneficial thing to have a high end roll-off considering where the products are likely to be used.

FYI previous Denon products did indeed have a monochrome screen. People still bought them.

If you’re not asking for these “essentials” because you’re comparing the Denons to Pioneer, then what?

You’ve been particularly vague on that point.

Tell me, how many other manufacturers make standalone DJ devices with built in screens?

You seem to be implying that every other similar product, by every other manufacturer, has the exact set of features that you listed, and Denon is the odd one out. You checked this?

If not, then what “convention” are to referring to? What else is there to compare it to?

@mike.d the discussion is about whether the listed things are essential. They’re not. No one’s saying that Denon should not implement these things. Nice to have maybe, as added features - but not essential.

2 Likes

The definition issue seems to be “essential” being used where, in fact “wouldn’t say no, as long as it’s free” seems to be more the case.

1 Like

I was mostly watching this rather fun conversation, and now I just double checked the “essentials” list from Joxani… Well, no other stand alone device has it covered… so… not really essential? Couple of things are on other brands players, but no majority of djs even noticed them or uses them.

So @joxani, let’s break it down a bit, ok?

Full width track list - what is a full width? Full screen? Name of the track as long as the screen? No details here??? Essential? Ask a vinyl dj to give You track data… - wow no screen needed! A reloop player dj will also provide all needed info when asked anyway…

Led brightness control - who has it? 99% of dj equipment comes with a preset brightness of leds and You have to live with it.

Proper screen brightness control - give our devs a hint what is proper? Contrast, brightness, gamma correction, You need hue and saturation also? You need a slider to control a screen? For what? Couple of good presets do the job good enough. Who else has it? Hard to name any brand here with a slider.

Auto trigger loops - that was already implemented. No idea why they pulled it back in one of the updates. Possibly needs rethinking, reimplementing - I am ok with this. But for that feature - there is a separate request - give it a like, so developers will know, that is wanted.

Search limited to one crate - who else has this feature? I know only denon stand alone devices that use crates. Others are… well not stand alone… serato’ish software/computer thingy? No essential… but it would be nice if they do it.

Track rating on the player - there is a request for it, go and smash the like button so devs will know You want it and it’s absolutely essential for Every dj to rate his tracks during performance. - yes I know only one company that has it but not even on all of their decks, so - not essential.

Track info when tapping on title. Hm… when You hold Your finger on the title instead of a tap will it hurt? Essential? Ask American audio, reloop, numark? Ask Technics SL-DZ1200 owners? Not essential. This just looks like pure laziness…

BPM readout with 2 decimal spaces… It would be nice, but I can still beatmatch by ear and I don’t have to look even on the bpm readout… not essential in mixing.

High frequency roll off was fixed in one of the updates. Keep Your gear with the newest software. Even our most sensitive audiophile friends here admitted that it is good now. Need more? Make a feature request. Is it essential for the gear to function as the manual says? NO! Do any of other brands have to have a boost on high freq to work properly? Nope… From experience and years of work with recording studio crew I can tell that Cdj’s have some spikes on the high frequencies- maybe it’s that You are used to it… Again - not essential.

So there You have it. I hope this will close a bit this storm of essentials here… if not, just let me grab another beer and a pack of chips, because I had a good laugh :laughing: thank You guys :wink:

6 Likes

pure speculation, you dont know what man power inmusic has.

1 Like

And just when you were winning the argument you had to go and say something like that.

Also, no one but InMusic seems to be using such blinding LEDs. A Numark mixer I sold a couple months back we had to tape over the meter leds. Like lasers coming out of them. The strobey quality of the LEDs also probably isn’t helping.

3 Likes

I know about the numark strobe VU meters, had one of those my self :smiley: As it goes for roll off, we both know it is better now and it’s not a major issue that makes a device not usable or is an essential to upgrade, otherwise all djs will go somewhere else…

2 Likes

“Play button”

Now that’s reasonably essential … :arrow_forward:

1 Like

Ah yes, my old Numark DXM01 USB has a bright blue LED smack in the middle. That thing is lethal!

read my post again, i said “playing track” i.e. not the tracklist screen.

anyway that’s as much time as i’m gonna spend on this.

@denonstaff it would be nice to have at least one area where only staff can reply. that would keep things brief and clear and save some time as well.

Still, not an essential tool to mix. For the area where stuff is responding only… well, You have no access there for a reason - that is essential.

I think placating the masses with just slightly more sh—y quality treble that probably increased distortion during SRC stages was probably a bad idea. During that time they did slightly improve the higher sampling frequency rates that were all fouled up, though, but fundamentally some things need to change and we need some options in how sampling rates are dealt with. I am glad we recently now apparently have 6dB of headroom from digital clip on the players.

3 Likes

Super komment - answer mate :slight_smile: Absolutelly agree with tou.

1 Like