Next Engine OS catch up

before adding the 27th streaming service it would probably be a good idea to catch up on long pending basics first:

• full width tracklist with selectable info
  • led brightness control
  • proper screen brightness control. i.e. where low is actually low. ideally with a slider
  • auto trigger loops (engaged when reached)
  • search limited to current crate
  • ability to rate tracks on the players
  • track info by tapping on title of playing track
  • bpms with 2 decimal places
  • and of course fixing the foozled highs

all of these are essentials and apply to the 5000s as well as the 6000s. they should actually be available from the start but still not having them 3 1/2 years later is very hard to justify. even more so since all of them have been requested. some even years ago and at least half of them are very easy to add.

27 Likes

And double waveform view or at least “Phase meter without sync” between multiple decks - just to catch up.

Honestly, together with the issues mentioned here in the forum, and the unwillingness of Denon/InMusic to share some status about the progress on these existing issues (or at least the impression they are working on fixing it), I find it questionable if Denon is the way to go.

But at least due to the unavailability of the players, there is enough time to wait if this is improving or not.

We were laughing at Pioneer about their CDJ 3000, but at least they released a firmware update in-time and I am quite sure they are working on the next one.

7 Likes

iTunes sync too. So if you amend a playlist in iTunes that you’ve already imported it syncs.

NAS support.

Accessing you library over Ethernet too.

1 Like

My SC6000’s are apparently 3 (yes THREE) months away.

Jack O’Donnell has to go and be replaced by the board with someone more competent.

@ShelterStu he’s referring to Engine OS (on the players) not Engine Prime.

in fairness that was a bugfix release just like denon released for the 6000 (1.5.3) timely.

1 Like

But first, more hardware models ad nauseam.

2 Likes

None of these are “essentials”

If these really were essentials, essential for you, at least, and weren’t on the player when you bought it, why did you buy it? Did you not do enough pre purchase research? Or did you think that if you asked for a long list of new features in a firmware update that all your wishes would get written in?

To be fair, sometimes that partially happens, but it’s not a guarantee, especially not within any particular timeframe.

2 Likes

just have a look at the requests section and the age of the requests. then have a look at the competition.

and i bought it because i assumed such things would be added timely because they’re essentials :wink:

1 Like

Presumably you mean Pioneer? Here we go again with the constant comparisons to Pioneer. I see this so much, and think it’s ridiculous. If all those things are “essential” (to you) and Pioneer has them, why didn’t you buy Pioneer?

Seems to me that logically the best way to get Pioneer features is to buy Pioneer equipment.

1 Like

not necessarily. see below …

given their market share comparisons are unavoidable.

anyway to be clear, i did not mean pioneer in particular or any specific brand for that matter. there are certain conventions when it comes to device conception and design which also exist for its accompanying software. at a more abstract level the exact purpose of a device doesn’t even matter. a simplistic example would be the on/off switch. so if used properly, the term “essentials” does not stand for some stuff somebody just made up, but is based on generally accepted device and software usability knowledge which has evolved over time.

Well I just looked over your list again, and as S_Anderson said earlier, none of them are essential.

They’re not things that are required in order for the device to do the job it was designed to do. They’re your own personal preferences.

2 Likes

The case is that features which joxani wrote maybe are not essential for you but this is normal in software development that we have big and small releases. And those small changes should be added between big release changes. Also for ex. I think countdown to cue will be used more frequently than next streaming service or something. For now i think inmusic/denon does not have manpower to develop this big/small features and the power goes to this new controller.

1 Like

just read my post above yours.

I already did, before I posted the earlier reply. Doesn’t change anything. Your requests are still preferences, not essentials.

1 Like

certain things are expected from certain devices and that’s not limited to the bare minimum that’s required for operation. like i said, there are conventions and they’ve been established based on prior experiences over time.

So what you’re saying is that they’re “essential” because the competition has them?

If the competition has them, it’s conventional and established. :man_shrugging:

So…every product on the market needs to be identical?

Not having something that another product has, makes it unconventional?

Sorry but I’d rather have diversity than having Denon products being clones of Pioneer products (other manufacturers are available).

1 Like

no.

no.

that depends on each feature.

i never said that and i agree.

You agree that you want diversity, and yet you’re asking for non-essential things to be added to the Denon product because a competing product has it? You seem to be asking for it to be made similar or the same as the other product.

Fact is, the Denon products already do what they’re designed to do. They’re not clones of another manufacturers product, and they don’t have to be.

1 Like

no.

no.

again i agree and again i never said otherwise.