Network link 2 sc5000 to destop pc

Hmm… You mean the pitch control doesn’t work at all even though the track can already be played? I hadn’t noticed that. Anyone else? I notice maybe a slightly too aggressive smoothing function being used on the pitch faders that’s making them a bit too slow in picking up your entire, small pitch fader movements. I think I asked them to try halving that smoothing function (if there is one) and see what happens. Then there’s the pitch faders seeming not to be 14bit (or the AD conversion for them) such that the smallest movements might not register as a change. Their better-than-Pioneer increments seem a result of alternating increments if you wobble the pitch fader in the same tiny spot… a similar method Gemini used to improve the pitch res, and better than nothing. I also sometimes think the aforementioned smoothing function seems like it’s rounding wrong (down?) rather than a normal proper rounding logic. Increasing speed seems sometimes to cause overshoot then adjustment back down. Decreasing speed just seems to cause a bit extra lag in reaching the commanded pitch. In both cases, they’re settling after latency at a slightly slower speed. I can’t tell if it’s both Ms or not and if it’s happening when Elastique is OFF. Definitely happens with at least one deck with Elastique ON. But not following commanded pitch at all even when a track is playing already soon after loading? Yeah, other than soft takeover, which is good but still not perfect yet, I don’t think I’ve seen that. FYI, those green arrows next to the pitch fader tell you where to move the fader when soft takeover comes on. Yes, sometimes when you’re moving the pitch fader when the track is being analyzed, soft takeover will errantly trigger when analysis finishes. Maybe that’s what you’re experiencing.

That’s my guess on that too

1 Like

I can’t thank you enough for your continued help to an impatient, niave one like me! :man_shrugging:

I did try the sync button once, just like any kid with a new toy, tried every button… but no, sync was off, who needs sync when you have bpm counters and 2 ears? I did notice there was a green UP or Down light at the end of the pitch control when the ptch control wasn’t working if that’s a clue? I felt I had to whack it right to the top or bottom to reset, the pitch didn’t change but when I did that the pitch worked again but with obvious ramifications quickly fixed by a wheel jog. Just so clear, everytime new track, reset pitch to 0 ? just tried it and it didn’t do what it did last night, it just worked each time! sods law!.. I promise, I was not drunk last night :laughing: :laughing:

Shift + Pitch bend buttons, christ that’s mental! Just tried it, it worked, punching it in in preferences still doesn’t but who cares with that shortcut… time stretching on -100% is insane! Better than Cubase latest algorithms that!

Standalone players lol, fair point, I was just wound up about that comment from Denon ex-worker who said something “Well we took on board that some DJ’s don’t like lugging their laptops around” and it riled me, was a flimsy excuse that didn’t make sense, if SOME do then offer them a choice rather than move a goal post to make life easier/cheaper. After swatting up and reading more about work oin progress I would have 100% more respect if they said, yes don’t worry we’re aware that needs addressing, we’ll work on it but for now our I.T bods are working on X projects and this is number 10 in the queue.

Thank you for your time bud, I’m not sending these back I will truck on, I think I was expecting too much but I also think I have been taken by surprise by some of the tings they do do I didn’t know about, you cannot deny these aint a naughty bit of kit and have so much more creativity than 2000’s.

Respect!

No. It should reset to following the pitch fader’s physical position upon track load. It’s just that occasionally when you’re moving the pitch fader while analysis finishes it will still errantly trigger soft takeover and one of those green arrows will pop on. Just move the fader where it tells you (probably where you were at a split second prior to analysis finishing) and it will pick up the fader again. It’s a slight bug that still hasn’t been ironed out, is all.

As for changing the pitch range, there’s an option in Utility/Preferences to get rid of pitch bend by buttons and just have them change range without shift. That’s what I do and recommend to others considering the non-M jog bend has been made symmetrical and is adjustable and the M’s platter nudge and drag detection with motor ON is acceptably-useable. I find no need for the bend button function. You may have missed the option:

https://community.enginedj.com/t/change-preferences-heading-of-pitch-control-type-to-pitch-bend-buttons/

Make sure you’ve updated the firmwares.

2 Likes

You get this green direction lights when using sync or using the layers

Basically soft takeover works this way - say you press sync on deck 2 coming in with the pitch at 0%(absolute position) but if you did a manual beatmatch the pitch fader would have been required to be at +5% to line up the tempos, Sync overrides this necessity and will jump to the desired bpm irrespective of the position of your pitch (expected behavior).

But for you to regain control over that deck 2’s pitch fader you need to manually move the pitch to +3% (absolute position) only then will it engage and subsequent pitch adjustments are registered.

The arrows tell you what direction to move (tip) (or as @Reticuli will say “training wheels” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:…i call them convenience)

With layers its almost the same principle when you switch layers, keep an eye on the arrow.

1 Like

missing this feature was one of some points why ive sent the SC5000 back. Got all my Music on Network Drives (WHS2011 SMB share) The SC5000 is a media player with Ethernet and WLAN and you cant reach music in your network…

Engine Prime cant even access Network Drives in Windows. I need to copy my Music from Network Share to HDD to USB Flash Drive to play on a NETWORK Player! -.-

1 Like

Hi Kelt,

Its not a network player… Its a Media player with some Streaming capabilities. And it playes the media inserted, as long it follows some parameters. (correct fileformat etc.)

I sorry to hear that you had to send it back, because of you couldnt access your files on your network drives, but if I remember correctly, Denon has never said that it could. Howwver I believe that this has been a feature request for quite a while, and who know what the future will bring :blush:

Dont get me wrong, but alot of us have to read up on stuff before buying. (I have to do this myself as well)

But yes it would be cool to access your files at home, even when you are out on a job. :slight_smile:

Ahaaa! that’s it

I was using layers last night and from memory it was always on the same deck when I noticed it happening so probably when I was layering up and hence why it didn’t happen when I treid to recreate it tonight! Understood…

OK, I’ll get my coat, Thanks Reticuli, I understand a bit better now what it’s trying to do/achieve… I feel like I’ve hijacked this whole thread for my own personal tutorial, seriously thanks guys. Without a group like this I could have been obtuse and just got rid!! x

2 Likes

After reading some of your posts and Mufasa’s answers, I think it would be wise to RTFM a bit. :innocent: You’ll be amazed!

Sure, it’s pretty straight forward, but these players are more complex than an SL1200 set.

I’m not stopping you from asking here, we’re here to help, but a little research would be welcome. I’m mostly talking about standalone use. Serato use, has less manuals to read through. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Hi Engell, I think you’re missing the point…

I “read up on stuff before buying” in great depth (or so I thought) trying to find the flaws with Denon’s has been difficult, it is totally buried in accolades and people singing their praises… you assume (as you can’t find out otherwise). With all this praise it leads you into a flase sense of security that they have the fundmentals covered.

It’s a bit like having your car sprayed in pealrescent paint and upgrading the sound system… before you can afford to insure and tax it!

The marketing and videos are great… but I beg the questions… Where is my wifi as promised? Forgive me for not assuming you could just whack these badboys into a PC or Laptop, but hell if they got wifi surely I’m worrying about them walking when they’re up and running…

The info’ out there aint so cut and dry… given we’re all in isolation trust me, I’ve had a lot more time to research them than I would have done generally.

You say to Kelt like “it’s not a network player” (silly boy), that is not what one is lead to beleive through all the hype… and the promis of wifi… Oh did I mention… where is my wifi ??? and what good is wifi IF IT AINT A NETWORK PLAYER???

1 Like

Good shout Reese

I’ll be totally frank, I deleted the sentence “Maybe I should RTFM” properly before in a previous post. I thought I had done. Some of my problems haven’t been alluded to in the manual but alot of the peripheral ones have to be fair.

I was just picking holes as I gave up when my problems were compounded with tonnes of reservations.

I tell you what isn’t in the manual though… the explanation as to where my wifi got to ?

Hi Jsgordon79,

Trust me I have been doing everything else except praising Denon from the time they launched the MCX8000. Damn I was mad back then.

Oh Boy, have we had our discussions :joy:

But today there is way more info regarding the Prime series than there was back then, there are great Facebook groups, and this Forum - which helds a bunch of users that is very motivated to help new users with all their questions.

Back then, when I started with the Prime Series, I became a member here the first or second day they opened it.

You ask ‘where is your wifi’?.. Could you elaborate? You should have WiFi on your units if you have updated it to a version where it is.

It was not present from start… It was a hidden feature, that us who bought the units back then, didnt know about. (maybe thats why its not on the manual, though they should have corrected that by now imo)

But it became possible with a firmware update.

Which firmware version are on your players?

thank you for your response Engell. I did know about the missing direct streaming feature - no problem! But i didnt know not being able to import tracks over network to engine prime. Even Rekordbox has this ability. I was playing with Mixvibes Cross DVS streaming all my tracks over Ethernet to my Laptop and even this works (with 2-3 seconds of delay loading a track into the player).

You said this is a Media Player, not a Network Player and youre right. But this Media Player has a LAN Port and WIFI with the ability to stream (load) Tracks over Internet into the Player; why not using this for Home-Use-Network. This would be a shut-up-and-take-my-money-no-brainer-to-me!!!

I am thinking of getting a pair of SC5000(M) in the future if this feature will come across. The ability to map Network Shares in Engine Prime (like Rekordbox can) is an absolutely MUST HAVE - this is basic and this was the decisive Point why ive sent them back early this year.

Basic English but I hope you all understand guys^^ Stay safe and healthy!

Hi Kelt,

I’m glad you didn’t take my comment as an attack, because it wasn’t meant as one, by any means. :slight_smile: When English is not your native language, it can sometimes be difficult to get the meaning “to text” even if it is only meant to be positive or informative.

Recordbox is just a tooth farther ahead - so far.

Exciting things happen from Denon after hiring the brand new Dev team, and it’s happening way faster now than just 2 years ago. Yes, there are things we are still waiting for, but I have high hopes for what the future brings.

I probably don’t need to go into detail about what the LAN port is for. (player/ mixer link and mixer/ router)

It wasn’t until shortly after I bought my SC5000s, 2 years ago that suddenly there was a user in here who pointed out that he could see there was wifi on the board … It created a lot of new questions for Denon, and they only told a little bit about what was going on.

It will certainly be smart to be able to load your tracks over the network, and hope that it will be possible someday. Just as it could also be cool to be able to update the players’ firmware this way. Or sync the built-in harddrive in the P4 or SC6000 players, directly over networks, rather than via cables.

There are many possibilities and I think we’ve only seen the surface of what’s to come :smiley:

1 Like

Hello Kelt, As far as I know, that feature is requested by Mufasa already, and link is up in one of the comments here. But just in case I will paste it here as well for You: https://community.enginedj.com/t/laptop-pc-link-for-ep/13590

If Dev team sees, that this feature is important (need more likes on the post) then will be more chances that they implement it.

3 Likes

Hi Jsgordon79,

Regarding the missing wifi - have you made sure you got the right firmware version? And you might have to go to the Utility menu to activate Tidal.

You could check out this video (From 1:05 he explains how to activate Tidal function):

Here are the download links for the latest stable firmware versions: https://www.denondj.com/downloads (You´ll have to select your players)

And here for the public beta which can be found here in this forum:

https://community.enginedj.com/t/download-release-notes-v1-4-2-soundcloud-public-beta-1/19081 (Remember - this is a Beta for testing Soundcloud, and there is no Tidal in this and is not ideal for public use (on gigs), as testing is still ongoing)

I could have swore I heard streaming users on Prime could also connect to the internet using a hardline.

So have I :slightly_smiling_face: heard… Not testet. :blush:

Don’t know what you guys mean, but you don’t need WiFi to use a streaming service if the LAN is connected to the network switch/router.

1 Like

I think Reticuli just pointet out that I didnt describe this option. (kinda did with the ‘mixer/ router’)

But with the post above I just try to find out if Jsgordon79 have the right firmware installed, as he says that he has no WiFi. It could be he just uses the players out of the box and just need to update the firmware. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like