Firmware update thoughts

This has gotten really silly. Peoples nerves are wearing thin. It’s about passing time and keeping hopes alive.

2 Likes

I agree I think everyone has been really patient. I regularly check the forum and site to see if an update (to engine prime and/or the sc5000/m) is out yet. I don’t think criticism of those continually enquiring is reasonable bearing in mind the gap between updates and the gap between someone from Denon updating the forum (quite a while ago).

i don’t know what’s worse the thought they read these and don’t respond or the thought the posts are just ignored. :frowning:

4 Likes

Ok, my post was flagged… All I asked for was that we could keep this post alive, now the other one was closed… Whats going on in here?

8 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 72 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 3 days.

Oh for the love of whatever god you might or might not believe in, stop it - you’re just going to get the thread closed again so if you can’t post anything constructive then keep your fingers away from your keyboard.

2 Likes

My dear SirReal, showing your frustration about the delayed firmware release on this topic will not convince Denon to release it sooner that they decide. Denon DJ main website have a “Support” section where you can make an inquiry on this subject. The users posting on this forum don’t release the firmware themselves.

3 Likes

I am right in the assumption that there is nothing new, if or when an update will be released?

There is probably a whole big load of new firmware code and a whole big load of new software code - Almost ready to be pushed into the boxes and boxes of prime 4 and 5000 and 5000M

We can only hope lol

Hi Everyone!

As you can imagine, our teams have been working extremely hard to bring you updates as quickly but as safely as possible. With every code change, there is significant development and test time required to ensure our systems are performing efficiently and are 100% stable. The last thing we would ever want to do is hastily release an update that puts your event or performance at risk.

We decided to push this release a back a little to incorporate all of the improvements that were recently added to Prime 4. Doing this allowed us to synchronize our code for the entire Prime Series product line. Soon you’ll be able to walk up to a SC5000, SC5000M or Prime 4 and have the same exact experience from one product to the other. We felt it was important for all Prime Series product owners to have the same amazing experience regardless of which product they own.

Now for the data you’re most interested in, when is it coming!? Our current plan as of today is to launch all firmware versions below simultaneously in 2 weeks’ time. We are feeling very confident of that target but if anything changes, I will provide you with an update here on this thread.

• SC5000 v1.3.1
  • SC5000M v1.3.1
  • Engine Prime v1.3.1
  • X1800 v1.2

Full release notes for each update will be available once the firmware has been officially released.

We’re very excited about this release and we know you are too. Thank you all for your continued support and patience!

Best,

Jason

24 Likes

Thank you @JWiLL!

That is great news. Good way to start my weekend indeed

Cheers

1 Like

Thanks @JWiLL

Sounds promissing :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for the update, however if I could provide a little constructive criticism here:

I doubt the management of Denon DJ only decided on this today, so it would be appreciated by many I’m sure if there was a little more transparency for these decisions - the timespan between Paul’s post in this thread then your update is too long for most of your customers, we are curious beings and like to be informed of progress - even if it’s bad news we at least appreciate the honesty and transparency :slight_smile:

A lot of posts I’ve seen lately on this forum are from users frustrated at the lack of communication between Denon DJ and the customers so I think improving this could go a long way.

4 Likes

Are you saying you think they decided to release these updates on or about May 17th months ago? Why do you think that? Reaching a point where they say “I think this is all a pretty good set of improvements we’ve made thus far that’s also pretty stable, so let’s try and shoot for a release in 2 wks” makes complete sense to me, as does the idea that months ago they would have had no idea when they’d be done.

Take the Prime 4 for example, retailers were suggesting 10-12 May (for some retailers at least, not all) was when they would receive the units (complete with firmware update) for 1-2 weeks now, yet it was only yesterday that Denon DJ decided to inform their customers. This suggests that they new about the delay somewhere between 1-4 weeks ago.

Even before that, there was a pattern of delay upon delay, yet no official announcement from Denon DJ staff, only the word of retailers as to when they would receive the units.

My main point here is not to bash Denon, but provide some feedback that most customers would like a bit more transparency on where everything stands, e.g. if they have to delay it, they should make an official announcement, rather than relying on customers to contact the retailers, then the retailers contact Denon to get more info etc.

1 Like

I’m confused. Are you complaining about the delay on the Prime 4 or claiming the firmware updates had to have been known they’d get done around May 17th months ago? How is the Prime 4 an example of something related to this? It doesn’t even look like the Prime 4 delays were pre-planned, so how could they have anticipated the other firmware releases far in advance, too? Are you expecting another month or two delay from the May 17th estimate for the release of these new firmwares?

They’re saying some changes in the Prime 4 have now been incorporated into the SC Prime players, apparently on a whim since they were already working on these. The Prime 4 was delayed in a way they had not previously planned. The SC Prime players and X1800 firmware have been getting worked on, but they made no public guesses about when the players and mixer firmware would get released until now.

I think we can surmise that some of the delays on the Prime 4 may have been related to firmware changes they wanted to make and they were such positive improvements they also decided to put them in the SC Primes, right? And now it’s all a unified or “synchronized” code base for the whole product line, apparently; so far as I can tell, this can be taken at face value from InMusic that this has been a work-in-progress on the firmware improvements and probably not pre-planned regarding their release timing.

I mean, unless I’ve missed something.

2 Likes

I assume @JonnyXDA is attempting to give constructive criticism (as stated) regarding the pretty much almost total and complete fail on DenonDJ’s part (as a company, not as individual human beings bla bla) up to this point to alleviate the obvious stress and anxiety (albeit of the first world variety) triggered by Denon’s choice (as a company) to employ the tactic of ‘future firmware rainmaking’ (is there a real term for this yet?) in their marketing and advertising approach for selling/hyping the Prime devices.

1 Like

Holy. Smokes!!! This is AWESOME news!!!

1 Like

I think one of the aspects of commercial programming has come into play here, and probably with other software/firmware releases previously.

It’s that gap between /Having/ a idea and getting that idea to work consistently at a commercial/user level. The gap between those two moments in time could be any length of time, and very very difficult to predict. I program and I know and appreciate that.

For example, and I’m not saying this is THE thing here, but consider the simple (ha ha ha ha) idea of “let’s make the waveforms horizontal before release”

I doubt they had to change a little V in the code to an H. A change which would have taken 5 seconds.

I recon such a change would have involved a complete screen layout re-write, consideration of how to overlay the cue points, the cue point names, the loop colour overlaying, how to show mini waveforms for 4 layers, where to show BPM, where to show other fields of info etc if all that won’t fit then should we make each waveform a bit smaller from top to bottom? If so, how much by? What if… how’s that look? Do we change this bit? What do we change it to? How do we change that? How long will that take? If we change that, will it knock something else off that’s currently workng? Will we need to change 4 other items because of this change? Hey, we just changed this little bit and now these other 2 features won’t work etc , how long will it take us to get those two features working again? Does it all work together now? That new feature we added in the last few days… will it work in both horizontal and vertical modes?

The one certainty, I believe, is that when Denon DJ say that it’ll be worth the wait, we can all believe them.

5 Likes