Firmware update thoughts

Wait! They won’t be left out.

2 Likes

Many of us predicted this would happen… Prime 4 will determine the update path for sc5000 and x1800…

Soon ; adverb - In or after a short time. (Oxford dictionary)

Soon ; adverb - sometimes but nobody knows when. Possibly within a year but probably later. (denon dictionary)

1 Like

Who told you that buying the Prime series means better service and support? If this was told to you by a sales representative from some third-party store, I can understand him for trying to sell an expensive equipment, but if it came from a Denon representative, then, this guy should be fired plain and simple. A company like Denon shouldn’t favor a product against other product of their own. Service and support should be the same throughout the whole product range.

1 Like

A Denon staff member, I had a dialogue with on Skype about some of the MCX8000 issues I had. Some ‘chief’… I can find his name on my Skype when I’m back home.

And he told me that if I donated the MCX8000 to a school or som thing, he would sent me a pair of Denon headphones for free, because of the issues.

I told him that he could sent them anyway now I upgraded to a $5000 system (with a photo of my Denon setup with my Pioneer headphones) but never godt Any communication back… The Denon Style. :slightly_smiling_face:

It is abnormal and even suspicious for a Denon representative to tell you to get rid of your MCX8000 because of the issues you are experiencing with it. If it was a problem, hardware or software, it should have been solved trough service and support department. Excuse my indignation, but for a Denon representative to tell you to get rid of MCX8000 instead of offering to solve the problems, it’s like admiting the fact that MCX8000 is a flawed product and still being sold to the “stupid” with hidden defects. This is not a behaviour worthy of a company with so much history behind.

I Agree…

So my trust to Denon can be placed at a very small spot…

In fact I do feel stupid having sunk 3k+ in the “future” of DJing

I really hope that a Denon DJ staff will intervine to confirm or to deny this policy, because it is simply not the right kind of message to give to the customers.

They can deny easely, cause I didnt record the Skype call. So they can just call me out as a troll. Maybe I have the part with the School in writing some where.

Imagine someone who is poised to buy the MCX8000 for it’s capabilities and then reads what has been transpired in here about the product itself and the behaviour of the official representative. It can have a dramatic negative effect on future sales for MCX8000 and also for the Prime series. It’s like deja vu again with the SC2900 and SC3900, two very good players that didn’t succeed in changing the preferences of the customers in Denon favour. The company chose to retire them, but they have been hasty in my opinion.

I just hope that they are not gonna neglect us SC5000/ X1800 owners now…

I havent seen anything on Pauls ‘beta-tester’ suggestion either… More than 30 days ago now.

2 Likes

No product of Denon DJ division should be neglected, no matter if it is from the MC series or from the Prime series. Someone should intervine at some level and put this company to the right track. I really hope so, for the sake of Denon and their reputation, because it’s one of the few players left in the game, while others chose to quit innovation and development.

4 Likes

On job now, but will try to find name and mailcorrespondance on the MCX8000 in the upcoming week.

It will be appropriate, because it’s mind-blowing what you have said in here.

i wonder when the sc5000 mk2 will be released??

1 Like

I understand all the sarcasm, but I guess never. Not like Pioneer did every year for the last few decades.

DenonDJ needed to make diverse players to accommodate all levels of deejaying. So that’s why there’s an SC5000, SC5000-M and Prime4. Perhaps there will be a Prime4-M next. Or Prime2 two channel or SC2500 with single layering…and even lower price.

Pioneer has a device on every level already and can focus on RekordBox features, connectivity etc.

5 Likes

As long as neither pip or denon don’t let the lowest specification player dictate the features that they do/don’t include for the rest of the range.

Far too much discussion is centred around firmware. With everyone and their pet cat making suggestions or, in fact -demands- about the easy-to-program featuring absolutely having to be in place before their event on Saturday else they’re taking it back and buying a virtual serated tractor. Perhaps denon should release their next player with a big gap between it and the prime 4 but with a big advertising splurge on it only receiving big fixes in the future rather than any new features. Would it sell? Or would buyers turn their backs on something that doesn’t offer free stuff for years? I think it depends how loaded with features that “no firmware” player was on day 1 of release

Both SC5000 and SC5000M together with X1500 and Prime 4 are top shelf devices in terms of features. But the entry to midrange levels are not covered by any devices except the MC series range of controllers. These controllers, no matter how good they are don’t offer the possibility of an upgrade. Once you have one, you stick with it or you sell it. If one wants to put together a modular setup, at the moment there is no option to choose from other Denon players or mixers, except trying to find legacy devices still available on some stores.

Firmware hysteria is no doubt a ‘thing’ (and a distracting thing at that), but the (our) obsession with ‘coming soon’ firmware updates for our players, samplers, etc. wasn’t initiated, created, or developed by us(ers) - ‘firmware HOPE’ is a design approach and marketing decision, based on very thorough and extensive market research conducted by the Behavior Science wings of top tier business schools/institutions.

I always cringe when someone on here or another Forum seems to go ballistic when a post even gives the appearance of ‘criticising’ or ‘challenging’ The Company. Denon DJ is of course made up of individual people, some of which seem super knowledgeable and rad as people - and personal or ad hominem attacks (born of frustration or a genetic disposition towards being a dill weed) are lame and bad form.

BUT Denon DJ is also an emotionless, calculating, free market surviving entity that answers only to its actual shareholders. Capitalism does what it does, and we feel the consequences (ie. the firmware panic that i think this reply is supposed to be about).

Firmware craziness isn’t an accident and it’s not something that Denon DJ or their parent company somehow ‘regret’ creating: they engineered it, just like all consumer hullaballoos are engineered. It’s fine to strike an objective pose and point out your fellow consumers over-excitement re: firmware…[long pause]

But seriously my fellow humans, stop defending a corporation like it’s a puppy that just made a little mistake. PS. Consumerism and Criticism are not mutually exclusive. PPS. I do sort of wish the Soviet Union still existed to see what sort of DJ gear it would have produced. :hammer::pick::headphones:

5 Likes

The Soviet Union as we know it may not be here anymore, but russian people will always be here, no matter what their country name will be or their form of government, and I am sure that if they put their mind to it they can design and produce some equipment capable of surprising many of us.

2 Likes