Coming soon: World’s first music streaming capability in standalone DJ hardware

Cant see what this mail is refering to? Please elaborate :smiley:

Theres quite a few things being discussed in this thread :smiley:

1 Like

How or where is that email saying that it won’t happen?

All they’re saying is that they can’t confirm it. That’s normal for Denon. When we found out that the wifi tech was in the units (from public documents) Denon still refused to actually admit it was in there.

I would t read anything good or bad into that reply. It looks like it’s just a potato printed copy reply just saying wait.

And, as I’ve just read Engel saying above, there’s nothing in that reply that mentions what the reply is about. You could try emailing that department back and ask about the strawberry jam dispenser for prime 4 … and you’ll get “we are unable to say when, or if … “

The forum is full of replies from denon saying that they’ll never say when a future feature is going to come out. I’m sure there’s a few “rain on the parade” types who will read between the innocent lines of that reply and will forecast the end of the world, but it’s just the usual waiting game

Also with Beatport link , the quality does seem lower than I’d hoped and I’d guess lower than other professional DJs here would have hoped

I can’t remember where I got this snippet from, but a reply from Beatport link to a Beatport would-be customer says

“ George Henze Hi George, just to clarify, our streaming service offers 128kbps AAC and 256kbps AAC which is equivalent to 192 MP3 and 320 MP3, respectively. Hope this helps and thank you for your feedback. ”

With ssd and he’s getting cheaper for unphathomable capacities is there really any grounds for using any compressed formats any more? Would more DJs here on This forum Jump ship from tidal to Beatport link if Beatport upgraded from 128 and 256 to fully on uncompressed ?

SO it looks like the Offline Locker was announced in 2019 and here is 2023 still nothing for any DenonDj product lines. That feature announcement should just be removed as at this point it’s clear that we are not going to get it. Actions (or lack thereof) speak louder than words!

“Beatport’s new LINK technology will support standalone streaming with the Prime Series hardware”

I guess it’s because it’s mentioned a few times throughout the link and at the bottom of the page with a placeholder for the price of the two offline plans.

We will see it one day, I’m sure.

Its probably in the hands of that vendor as to when/if they want it to go live too. Perhaps they have had to hold it back for some reason, licensing issues etc.

1 Like

Yeah. Reading through that press release above it does seem like it was just a general Beatport marketing plug, listing all their tiers and plans and the offline locker got swept up into it.

The last few lines at the bottom do look like it was intended but never arrived at the same time as the streaming option.

I think there has been some push back from record companies which has restricted the development of streaming services. in fact im sure of it now that we know Amazon require a specific security chip in the Prime units in order to work. Spotify obviously didn’t feel it was worth pursuing any further so pulled out.

The thing with Beatport too, they have their own browser based DJ software to push so they wont be trying super hard to promote anyone else, they will want to develop that with some hardware partners wont they.

I always thought that the offline locker was too expensive for what it was. I remember it being something like $25 for 50 songs and $40 for 100 songs. Thank god they’ve now put that up to 1000 songs.

I think that Beatport browser software was a re-skinned web app by someone else. Something party? Home party? I don’t know now… I think I need to investigate.

Found it. It’s a reskinned YouDJ - YOUDJ - ONLINE DJ SOFTWARE for free :)

2 Likes

Haha i never knew that, how original:)

And yeah i agree, a lot of cash for 100 tracks you could buy for £99 on itunes and keep forever. 1000 tracks is much more usable but im not sure we will see it being allowed on DJ gear any time soon.

I think peoples best bet is to get one of these Amazon devices and use that alongside their personal collection. Beatsource looks pretty good for dance music DJs too.

1 Like

I have Beatport but being away I can’t use it as the internment is too slow. It still wouldn’t make me want the locker though.

Saying that, being at sea the company I work for would probably be interested as there is a few Prime Go units around and no internet (they use many hidden WiFi networks here). I just think these units will ‘phone home’ every so often to check licensing or maybe sync the clock and that would create a problem if they are off-grid.

1 Like