BlueTooth physically missing or not (yet) exposed in engine os?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone of the hardware guys could respond to this: is a BlueTooth module part of the hardware and has it not yet been exposed, or is it physically missing from the GO? It seems such an obvious thing to include in a device geared specifically towards mobile DJs, that I find it kind of hard to believe that it was forgotten during the design.

Cheers,

Martijn

1 Like

How much do you like 38ms latency?

Even with pro transmitters the best you can get with BT is 19ms latency.

1 Like

Latency is not ideal, obviously, but I can mix pretty good with using only my headphones. It would be cool to be able to send it out to a BT speaker, without having to wire it up.

And obviously, the further you place a wired speaker, the more latency youā€™d get anyhow rendering it kinda useless as well. So in that case you need a boothmonitor or headphones only too.

I can imagine that a lot of times I would sacrifice latency for convenience.

1 Like

This is a good solution!

The BT in the Denons are generic and was probably put there because it cheaper to have the generic wifi/BT combo board then a custom board.

1 Like

So there is BT, albeit generic, onboard you say?

On some of the units (like sc5000) there is Bluetooth chip, but it is not programmed in the OS, so it just kinda sits there and waits for proper useā€¦

1 Like

Even with if BT becomes active it would only be capable of one stereo ch @38ms latency with downgraded sound quality.

Maybe good enough for wireless keyboard to do searching.

1 Like

That is not a bad idea :wink:

2 Likes

For Bluetooth, I would definitely be a Bluetooth keyboard user for but a fair few other things are controlled via Bluetooth like MIDI or some Zigbee effects.

InMusic have some Bluetooth controllers from Akai with the LPD8 and Korg have the NanoKontrol Studio which could open up remote sampler control or jingle players.

But yes, keyboard support would be the number one use for me!

1 Like

Why would it be capable of only one stereo channel? Where did you get those BT specs? Also, can you confirm that the BT module is in fact present on the Prime GO?

Unless someone opens one up to take a peak then thereā€™ll be no one to confirm.

You wanna volunteer? :laughing:

I can confirm that it has.

FCC declaration

It has AP6255 wireless module.

When you go to find datasheet, we can see that it has WiFi 11ac + Bluetooth 4.1

6 Likes

Good find! Thanks! So now we basically want to know if Denon plans on opening up that feature. Would be a waste if it just sits there on the chip, doing nothing.

1 Like

In regards to using a keyboard, I can confirm that plugging a USB wired keyboard into the ā€œUSB MEDIAā€ port allows you to enter text into search fields using the physical keyboard. The functionality is similar to other controllers in the Prime series, but is undocumented for the Prime Go. See more details in this post:

I agree with other commenters on here that enabling the bluetooth module for subpar audio use is probably more trouble than it is worth. Allowing bluetooth connectivity for keyboards and similar peripherals, however, seems much more promising.

2 Likes

It doesnā€™t make sense to buy a ~900ā‚¬ all-in-one DJ system just to slaughter the experience by cramming bluetooth into it. If you want bluetooth, buy a proper bluetooth transmitter, and live with the delay, but it just absolutely doesnā€™t make sense for Denon to add that to this device when bluetooth is overall still a mess because there are still so many speakers out there with terrible implementations. Maybe in a few years for a Prime Go 2 or something, i could see that.

As Bluetooth is inside already as itā€™s part of the chipset. Itā€™s much more useful for other things such as MIDI controllers and keyboards than audio.

The Akai Pro ā€˜Forceā€™ has the same insides as the Prime gear and has the Bluetooth module enabled for MIDI controllers. Imagine a Pioneer DJ SP-1 style controller add-on for the Prime Go that adds expandability when needed or a Bluetooth keyboard Wireless MIDI Keyboard LPK25 Wireless | Akai Pro that lets you play cue points/pitch & tone play/samples from an SC range player.

I can see lots of areas where it would be fun to enable it.

1 Like

Oh, i didnā€™t know it was part of the chipset already. In that case itā€™s just a matter of Denon paying the R&D to develop it or not. Iā€™m not too hopeful, but who knows? Would love to be wrong in this case.

1 Like

there is a USB port on the backā€¦ they could sell a dongle

Why? What for?