Announcing PRIME 4 & Serato DJ Pro Official Compatibility!

1. Put Prime 4 into computer mode
  2. Run Serato

You were talking about prime 4 with serato yes, but someone else hijacked the thread and starting going off into one about all-in-one and stand alone

As PeeKay mentioned, it looks like if you put a prime 4 Into computer mode, the prime 4 can be seen by a computer. It if you have the prime 4 in standalone mode, rather than computer mode, then a computer can’t see it.

You could flag off-topic accordingly.

1 Like

For some reason it’s just not recognising. SSD shows on my macbook in computer mode as normal but when I fire up serato the drive isn’t there. Very strange indeed. I don’t use Serato any ways but it would be good if it did work.

Well if it shows on your OS then it will be visible to Serato.

Just checking here, but how exactly are you seeing that it “isn’t there”? Where are you looking?

Sorry, I keep forgetting that the community flagging for off-topic or other “odd” posts is there.

I’m guessing the moderators get an sm or some sort of alert for a flag, but no such alert for just a comment being made about off -topic

I’m looking within Serato itself on the crates what not. Or should I be looking some where else?

We try to keep an eye on all posts, but the flagging system helps us do that. If more members flag the same post it will automatically alert mods to take action.

Reasons could be spam, inappropriate, off-topic etc.

Back on-topic :relieved:

I think you need to read the manual :astonished:

I recommend you download the full PDF rather than try and use the online one, which is awful.

You should be looking at the file tab in Serato, not the crates.

Thanks yes I can see it now. Weirdly with the internal SSD, doesn’t show the playlists as in engine prime. Thier all in thier respective album folders. When I plug a USB into prime, which has the same playlists as SSD, the playlists do show in Serato. Strange hey? Thanks for your help though. Least I know it reads it. Just not a way I prefer. Brilliant system though, I love it :sunglasses::ok_hand::sunglasses:

Nothing strange about that.

Is the P4 Internal SSD a true copy of that Serato ready external USB drive? (the one you mentioned that if plugged in, the crates do show up in Serato)

If there is no Serato folder on the root directory of the P4 internal SSD then it won’t have serato crates

2 Likes

Good clear info. Thank you.

I just noticed today that there’s no search option on the Prime 4 when using Serato.

That seems a rather strange omission. The screen shows the library but you can’t search it.

1 Like

I’ve been using the Prime 4 completely standalone and have really become used to the way everything functions. I decided to try Serato integration because I thought it might be easier to manage my library in serato and sometimes I do miss using DVS.

This is my first time messing with Serato and the Prime 4 but i’ve noticed a few strange things.

1. Headphone Cue / Master mix knob seems to be off. Around the third dot (33% or so) it seems to be about 50/50. At the center top it’s mostly the master I hear. This also makes it very quiet when it’s at 33% and normal bordering on very loud when I move it over to only hear master. I have to constantly re-adjust the volume when I’m trying to hear how the cue / master mix sound (rotating the knob).

2. The level meters on the channels seem to be much lower than when I use the prime standalone. I’ve tested with and without auto gain on in serato and it just seems “off” to me. The master does seem to be about right though. The balance between the channel trim and the master just seems way off compared to standalone prime. Also I tried adjust channel trim to see if it helped with number 1 above and it just made the volume disparity even worse.

3. The white light that shows up on the pitch fader when you are at 0% adjustment seems to get out of sync. I think this might be some weird nuance of the way serato handles sync but basically every single time I would try to set a track back to 0% i’d have to look at the screen on the prime to confirm the BPM because setting the fader to where normal 0% is would not put it to 0% BPM adjustment (even when it was the master track playing). Also I noticed the light would light up when it was at 0% but it’d be a a different spot than the normal 0% spot. Almost as if it’s uncalibrated.

4. Major BPM swings sound like pure garbage with keylock on in serato (8-10%). This one may not have anything to do with the prime 4 integration. Traktor and the prime 4 handle this type of thing fine.

Has anyone else noticed any of these issues? I’m running the latest version of prime 4 firmware and latest version of serato.

I was really hoping to enjoy this experience for a few reasons (below) but it’s actually somewhat of a turn off. Maybe it’s just me being new serato or something but these annoyances definitely give me a great respect for the prime in standalone.

The only reason I am even interested in using it as a controller is because a few of the following features I would gain by using Serato:

• Easier library management (subjective but I really like having the ability to move files to new locations if needed)
  • Sorting of streaming service playlists by bpm, key etc (can’t do this on the prime in standalone)
  • I find it a little easier to search the stream services as well using serato
  • DVS Control (not available for prime in standalone)

Serato sounds way better period! Why because Serato DJ pro has auto gain a feature along with a sampler demon decided to not include in the software and have an option to toggle it on or off. Since getting the prime 4 I have had massive issues with volume levels and Denon seems to not pay attention to wanting to add auto gain ever. They are sadly mistaken by not adding this into their software. I use powered speaker and just adjusting the gain on older tracks is not enough to get the levels correct but if auto gain was a feature added to the prime software it would be the best thing they could do why? Simply because listen up DENON……this feature during analyzing tracks normalizes all music in your library making it pretty much the same volume so no big gigantic music volume level drop offs like I’m sure we have all experienced if you can from Serato, rekordbox, and virtual DJ software all which have auto gain and continue to have it in current 2023 versions along with samplers and stems which Denon still has not added the software is good it’s defiantly not great and is no Shere near the big 3 I mentioned above not yet anyway but if they added the auto gain a built in sampler and some improvements to the syncing process like an entire drive to sync instead of having to make playlists in order to get them into the prime 4 and a search where you can search only in the playlist your in if you in a playlist. I mean why search the entire library if your inside a playlist and only wanna search that playlist??? Come on Denon let fetvup to current standards on the software and hardware updates so your at least close to what Serato virtual DJ and rekordbox are doing which are the leaders in the pro DJ software arena please get with it and get with the current times ASAP this unit could be the best on the market with a major update with a lot of all of these features.

Demon would be a great name for a sound gear brand.

At this point these 3 year old threads being bumped are just for comedy value now surely?

I’m soo excited for the upcoming Prime 4. I really hope Denon will bring STEMS & Video support to the P4 screen. And waveforms. :slight_smile: