An Update on PRIME 4

Frankly, the fact that they choose this route instead of doing what @flexanomical suggested (let everybody do a firmware upgrade right out of the box), kinda leads me to the assumption (I know, mother of all f*ck-ups and all that :slight_smile:) that this firmware upgrade might be something very significant, something you donā€™t want the customer to miss when they first fire the unit up.

Letā€™s face it, who gets a new toy like this and then goes through the firmware upgrade process before trying it out? More likely is the scenario that you will be immersed in the unit with the box still at your feet for hours on end.

Guess we will know soon enough. Deadline IS coming near!

3 Likes

We endeavour to start shipping units in approximately two weeks.

Doesnā€™t sound like a deadline to me, more like a target. :wink:

3 Likes

Having done that with the xBox One, it is the most annoying, pain in the arse user experience known to man. Much better that it works correctly out of the box.

Bugger all no-one! Thatā€™s who.

Denon were right to hold it back a few weeks.

1 Like

Making @paul_denondj take out every single Prime unit and update the firmware and then repack it was totally not necessary. Denon DJ missed a golden opportunity here to rebrand their firmware as ā€œFUNwareā€. Iā€™m sure Laidback Luke would have done a hilarious video parody of a late night infomercial where ā€œFUNwareā€ starts sounding sort ofā€¦wellā€¦fun. And seriously, how could any of the less ā€˜positiveā€™ forum members complain post-install about something called ā€œfunwareā€? Think about it DenonDJā€¦call me. :phone::telephone_receiver::saxophone:

PS. This will make me sound lame and Type-A, but before diving into a piece of gear, I always make sure it has the most up-to-date firmware, as a rule. If itā€™s used gear, I do a factory reset and then update it to latest firmware. Only then can I look at the thing Iā€™ve been reading/researching for months (or acquired randomly through some weird set of circumstances) and see it as a useable music making thing. ā€¦ IRL I have the least amount of impulse control as is possible and still quasi-function in society.

2 Likes

Could be further testing on the updates.

Opening up all warehoused p4 and installing updates seems like a mismanagement of resources and sellotape to me.

2 Likes

Just had an update from my UK supplier and they have pushed back from 10th May until 24th May that is another 2 weeks over and above the week since the announcement which is the day before I do my biggest gig of the year, as I have said before I for one would not have any problems in carrying out a day 1 firmware update if this could get the equipment I have paid for in full to me in time (ordered February and paid for in full a couple of weeks ago as I was expecting its arrival). This out of the box firmware update is nothing new and even very recently I purchased a high end digital workstation from a very reputable company which had a sticker applied to the outside of the box informing that update had to be done with instructions and a rather nice branded usb stick sellotaped to the inside of the box containing the actual update. This meant that there was no delay in shipping. Iā€™m not saying Denon need to supply usb media but they could surely make any update and instructions available via the website and cut down the time required to distribute the new P4 as once these units are eventually shipped this is how updates will be done.

2 Likes

@Nekoro_DenonDJ Appreciate the update :facepunch:t2: All good thingsā€¦:sunglasses:

1 Like

Date changed for me again from the 10/5/19 to 31/5/19 is this the real date this time? Iā€™ve paid for mine outright back in feb and starting to lose faith now :grimacing:

It would seem longer than 2 weeks according to Guitar Center. Hope this is a typo.

Iā€™ve been watching delivery/shipment estimates on different supplierā€™s websites. When listed, most still say May 15th-17th, but Guitar Center, where I almost pre-ordered from, changed their date from May 15th (I think) to now July 7th just yesterday or today. Not sure if this means anything or is just a Guitar Center thing, but just in case they may know something others donā€™t. I hope not.

Hello again everyone.

I/we cannot speak for individual dealers across the world, but as stated in our official announcement ā€˜we endeavor to start shipping units in approximately two weeksā€™ (this was a week ago today). We intend on maintaining the schedule we announced last week, and will ship PRIME 4 units out to vendors within the target date we announced.

Depending on where you are from, itā€™s likely that you may have to wait a bit longer for shipments to arrive, but I know that we all understand that shipping across the country/world takes time due to many variables outside of our control (customs, weather, Brexit (jk), etc.).

We intend on making an announcement as soon as PRIME 4 begins to ship, to keep our customers in the know. Your preferred dealer/distributor can provide you with a more specific time frame once we ship. We truly value all of your passionate input throughout this product launch, and thank you for your patience.

1 Like

It makes sense that if the Denon boat docks in one port in a country that a prime 4 wonā€™t be in every single tiny disco store in every city the next day.

Many dealers have one or more central warehouses which then send out a percentage of their stock of a product to regions hubs/mini district warehouses, which then divide up however many units got ordered and lorry the individual stores in towns etc.

If there are further delays after the denon boat docks in each country, then that just down to those external factors

Thank you @Nekoro_DenonDJ - itā€™s these kind of official updates that puts everyoneā€™s mind, especially those of us that have pre-ordered, at rest. I totally understand a slight delay, thatā€™s cool, and the fact you are reiterating that schedule is great. Can you tell us what the delay reason is in detail? Iā€™m not having a go or being difficult I assure you, just curious! Thanks again.

Not to mention, youā€™ll start to have inconsistency on the product after its launched - some people will upgrade, some wont - not everyone will know what firmware version they are running or be bothered to upgrade. I donā€™t fall in to that camp, but I can guarantee some will.

1 Like

Why mention Brexit ??? Itā€™s business as usual here in the UK

1 Like

(jk) = joke, I presumeā€¦

To add to this. People are indoctrinated by the media and political elite. There is nothing wrong in leaving the EU and trade agreements can simply be made like before. The EU tries to scare people, but in fact, they are scared themselves that other countries exit also (which is very likely, Nexit, Bexit, Grexit etc.)

We could talk a lot about that ā€¦Xit thing, but this is not the place dude.

True, but an admin/mod brought it up. He should know better.

Iā€™m still learning on how these Forums work, including when to insert a joke. Clearly a mistake on my end, still more to learn. Thanks for the feedback @Reese, @Uk79mod & @renmachado

2 Likes