An Update on PRIME 4

@kradcliffe,

I am sorry if I have upset you by my replies in a couple of posts in this forum. My intention has not been to get on your case. I have only felt strongly about my response and that’s why I even bothered to reply in the first place. I had two replies to you that I can think of that could have rubbed you the wrong way: 1 was when you said Traktor s u c k s because two DJs you know used it and it crashed on them and the 2nd was when you said Engine Prime doesn’t install and load when I pointed out that it is an issue isolated to you.

Before I sold my previous gear and decided to switch to Denon DJ gear, I spent days reading through these forums hoping to see how users felt about Denon’s products. For that reason, I felt (and feel) strongly about standing up for what is right.

You may ask what’s in it for you? I assure you I am not working for Denon as I suspect that’s what you mean when you say “certain members are plants…”, well, the way I see it, Denon has put out awesome gear and they are trying to compete with the so called industry standard; the more people that use this gear the more successful this gear will be hopefully and the better the product will get so MY product (what I have purchased) will evolved/enhance more. We all need to understand that by investing in these products, we are investors of this company so we have to support them to ensure our own success.

I hope that you understand my point of view and continue to contribute and help others with an open mind. We are all here for the love of DJing and I don’t want to be a contributor to why you may feel unwelcome here. I am no different than you, not better than you; just another member trying to learn and help others here.

Shain

2 Likes

@Nekoro_DenonDJ:

I think it was the right thing to do - posting the update.

We dont kill you :slightly_smiling_face:

But the thing that kills patience, is silence. So for another time (I suspect they will come) dont be nervous, just do it :slightly_smiling_face: People appreciate information.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, @Engell.

1 Like

Would those be cactuses (cacti for the Latin purists), more like Aloe Vera or something like Rooibos?

I am just a member here like you.

I see a difference between an opinion and a false accusation based on personal experience. As explained in my post above, people use this platform for research and decision making also and I am sorry if I can’t hold back from saying something when someone portrays that a product that works is broken because they had an issue with it.

I will try to be more sensitive moving forward :smiley:

3 Likes

Let’s imagine he just wanted to say that some members are “young” people.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Lets just asume he suspect certain member to be on a specific company payroll. Especialy because one of these persons constantly mocks people and get away with it all the time.

I think I can add (fuel?) to this discussion.

Having been a big Denon fan since way before CDJ’s, I have a few things to say about this company:

• Imho, Denon has always been committed to bringing great products. Their builds are always the proverbial “tanks” and the insides and sound quality are high quality as well. Those of us who remember dual DN-decks (the first real DJ CD tool available at the time), will know that the only way to break them was to set them on fire.

• Denon (DJ, I should say to be precise) was always a “techie” company. Before InMusic, everything communication or marketing kinda s*cked. Website, forums, mail response, release info. You could tell it was made by people that loved their products but weren’t to hot on the marketing trail.

• Enter InMusic. Denon DJ has profited from their marketing expertise. These forums are a good example. Perfect? Perhaps not, but such a step up from what once was.

• With better marketing came earlier product news release, at times perhaps a tad too soon. Driven more by the NAMM date or something than releasing the news with product in stock to ship to dealers within a month.

• I would say that innovation seems to be the steady diet in everything Denon DJ has put out so far since the MCX8000. Which means that they are often (so far) ahead of the curve, that they can’t benefit from those that went before you, they have to figure out most things themselves as they go along. Hence things tend to lag at times and usually don’t go as fast as users would like them to go.

• Finally, I think there are definitely things that can be improved. Sometimes it is better to be open and upfront about things than trying to spin stuff or wait with exchanging information with your (potential) customers til a moment that suits you. This particular “press release” on the reason the P4 is late in delivery is great, BUT … it should have come the moment Denon DJ realized it would be postponing delivery beyond their initial end of april “deadline”. Now it leads to people thinking “well yeah, now that lots of folks are complaining why their ordered P4’s are not coming, now they tell us what’s going on”. And if you involve people in an extensive (MCX) beta-firmware program, keep them informed on when the final product is being released, don’t go silent.

To be honest, until a few years ago, if you bought a controller, that is what it did. It was what you bought, a box of buttons that needed a laptop and software to function properly. Firmware upgrades where few and far between (even from other name brands) as there was preciously little to change. Easy to test prior to launching the product and it either worked or didn’t (tech failure). For the rest it was up to the user to decide if the feature set, build and sound quality and such where best for their needs/workflow.

Enter (amongst others) the MCX8000, one of the first serious attempts at making a stand-alone controller that you could use with software as well. New concept, not done this way before. Suddenly things can be changed by firmware. And users come up with millions of suggestions and feature requests. I have made this point before, but it’s a different game than just building “dumb” boxes and letting the folks at Serato, VDJ and Traktor figure it out.

If you bought Prime-series gear, if you pre-ordered P4’s (l am in the process of getting myself one), you can consider yourself innovators and/or early adopters. And if you get on board with stuff this early in it’s life cycle, I think it isn’t totally fair to expect a fully matured product with all the wrinkles ironed out. Now I am not talking about bugs, bugs should be squashed, preferably immediately, but about all the stuff we’d like the product to offer and it doesn’t (yet). Luckily this new kit CAN be improved in so many ways due to the firmware option. As I said, that will take time. Hopefully Denon will find a way to better communicate about this while not giving away anything to the competition too soon :smiley:

Just my three cents (yes, and a lot of loose change this time) as usual.

8 Likes

What is it they say about assumption? Something along the lines of "assumption is the mother of all f*ck-ups! :stuck_out_tongue:

Well ok :slightly_smiling_face: I’m sure thats what is said between the lines. Said it myself to :wink:

Oh and Thanks for the post above the other one. Long = yes… Good = yes :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Dont worry everything is fine you will all get 1 by Christmas at least :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

In a previous post I’ve made on this forum I said that Denon has embarked on a difficult task with the launch of MCX8000 and Prime Series precisely because of the innovation factor of this rage of equipments. Of course they have to figure out a lot of things by themselves and of course that takes time, but that also means keeping all those equipments alive and kicking long enough to benefit from all the improvements made by the future software and connectivity (stagelink) developments.

1 Like

The guys that did a review on youtube, how will they get an update to enhance their workflow.

Happy to have an official announcement, though my sales rep has been keeping me pretty in the loop on the delay dates he couldn’t say why. Nice to see officially instead of guesses etc.

That said, can I please have my P4 now? haha

omg what will we do now?

The same way everyone else does, download new firmware, and update it. 2 minute process give or take.

do you see why I asked that question Abraxo

Actually no, your question seemed rhetorical. However on this forum it’s hard to tell rhetorical from genuine. I don’t see any point being raised here.

The point being raised is that we could have updated the p4 in a 2 minute process give or take as you said earlier. This would have saved Denon a lot of time and people getting inpatient. But i guess as you said you dont see the point i raised. So sorry my bad mate.

Yes it would have been if the firmware was ready.