Xone DB4 with SC6000

I think it’s not midi via ethernet. It can be the same protocol as is used for stage linq. You get there not only start/stop info, but also fader position and track time code generator - playback position, elapsed/remaining time, playback direction.

Yeah, it was merely to explain it’s not a tip-ring voltage shortening kind of faderstart.

All info is in the Engine Connect datastream.

Since I use mainly channels 2 and 3 with layers 1A and 2A (channels 1 and 4 for loops, effects and stuff), it would be extreme helpful I could assign a specific layer only to the fader start.

For example in the settings:

Fader start

• assign to layer A
  • assign to layer B
  • assign to active layer (default)
1 Like

Make a feature request?

1 Like

Good point, will do.

does this work with db4 and track preview with the fader start and channel fader down/closed? or does it need to be open to hear the track preview?

looking to get this mixer and want to know or see it work. djfitme on YouTube has uploaded a mix on this setup and it looks slick.

Track preview works on all mixers.

However, the track preview “is fader open check” fail-safe is something that only works with an X18x0 mixer.

Thanks Reese so to use the db4 and the fader start function will the track preview will still work with the fader in the down position? or is it the fader start has no effect on the track preview??

i understand the x18x0 has the fader down safe but im looking to sim mod with fader start on db4.

im just throwing out the questions.

Fader Start and On-air info are on two different positions on the fader of an X18x0. They operate over the Engine Connect ethernet link.

Track Preview operates over the normal audio link, so press cue of the channel where the layer output is connected.

If you’d want to use a DB4, Track Preview still operates over the normal audio link, but you won’t have the fail-safe as an SC does not know where the fader position is (no Engine Connect ethernet info from the mixer duhh). Fader Start on the DB4 and SC will be possible via a TRS connection, but that’s only a pulse signal. Nothing more than that. Most likely it will not stop Track Preview and there’s only one TRS for both layers. I wouldn’t use it.

The only fail-safe there is on a non-X18x0, is the fact that if a track plays on layer A, the Track Preview will use layer B output (unless that layer plays also of course). Plus the other way around playing B > output to A. If nothing is playing on both layers, it will play previews on the layer A output.

Hi Mate. So just for your info. The track preview works fine on the DB4. The only difference is that on the X1850 it knows when the fader is up so the track preview wont play out to the main mix, on the DB4 (because it aint connected to the mixer via network cable…when you do a track preview, if the fader is up on the channel you are previewing the deck from…it will play out. So just make sure the fader is down on the channel you are previewing. I’ve just returned my db4 but had no issues with the track preview at all.

thanks again. im happy with these answers. cleared up my curiosity.

1 Like

I’ve edited my reply, because there is a small “fail-safe” when a layer is playing on a non-X18x0.

3 Likes

Does preview have the ability to differentiate which X18xx cue button is currently in use, or is it entirely based on which faders are up or not? Mine always seems to default to the outer faders for preview channel unless those faders are up.