X1800 question about record out output

From the product specifications:

Analog Output: Record: +10 dBV (maximum), -10 dBV (unity)

Shouldn’t record out output always be at 0 dBv regardles of master output? Or does these values at maximum and unity depend on the channel gain applied to the input?

I would think the latter is the case, as the record levels are dependent on the total amount of channel output (regardless of master level setting). Another good reason to go 0dB all the way on your channel gain.

1 Like

…cause if you are redlining, you aint headlining! #blue is the new red.

Indeed RED = BAD and 0dB RULEZ!

Unless I’m mistaken, this is probably a typo, as the standard is +4 dBu and -10 dBV. The simplest means of explaining what this means comes courtesy of GearSlutz:

The difference between +4dBu and -10dBV [commonly shortended to “+4” and “-10”] is about 11.79dB [the difference is based on a logarithmic scale so its not a straight “14 db” as you might think]… what complicates it further is that you’re dealing with two different scales [dBu being “dB - un weighted” and dbV - dbVolts"] both with a reference to 0db = .775volts… dBu can be used regardless of impedance, but is derived from a 600 Ω load dissipating 0 dBm (1 mW).

When you set the input level to “-10” you’re increasing the input gain [by 11.79 db]… which originally done to reduce the noise level in “semi pro” equipment [hotter signal in, less noise… also less headroom and a whole bunch of other issues but I have a feeling I’ve already gone a little too far with the explanation].

All you need to know is

If you plug a +4dBu output into a -10dBV input the signal is coming in 11.79dB hotter than the gear was designed for… turn something down.

If you plug a -10dBV output into a +4dBu input the signal is coming in 11.79dB quieter than the gear was designed for… turn something up.

2 Likes