Decks are linked directly with a CAT cable. No switch. They are then each out to the mixer by RCA.
The reason I think it’s software related is it was happening on the Prime4 too.
In terms of metadata:
- Music first goes through MixedInKey for key analysis
- I then import in to Rekordbox which retains the key from MIK and does BPM analysis. I do nothing else in Rekordbox.
- I import from Rekordbox to Engine Prime and drag on to a USB
- All files are AIFF. Over 90% are from bandcamp. No issues with these files otherwise. (I moved to AIFF after Pioneer had an issue with WAVs from Bandcamp. Turns out AIFF is a superior format as you get metadata.)
The track’s BPMs are all correct. It’s not like it says 145 and it’s actually 148. The metadata is all correct. I was mixing other tunes at ~135bpm last night and was having the same problem.
The problem is not about the track’s original form, but is more about it loading on to the deck at a totally random speed.
Today I am going to play around with it and see if it happens constantly to the same tracks, so we might be able to isolate it and find some commonality there, or if is truly totally random.
EDIT: … Actually, I think I know what this. I’ll report back once I confirm.
EDIT 2: The files weren’t properly analysed. I imported them via RekordCloud - which kept all my metadata and sync’d my library to Prime perfectly - but even then you need to re-run the analysis on each track on your laptop to set the grid up. I had not done this.
Without that step, the files were:
- Doing the wacky behaviour above
- Sometimes not playing at the right speed and/or wouldn’t let me adjust the beat grid
- Needing to be analysed on the player
A quick re-analyse of each file kept the metadata intact (thankfully) and got everything else sorted just fine.