Weird decimal BPM readings

Hej Folks! I have my Prime 4 now for a week aaaand i love it.

But what i dont love is the engine software. For some weird reasons it decides to read many many many tracks with BPMs like 151.92, 154.86 etc. I mean what the heck. And there is no way to change this on the prime itself. The issue wouldnt be sooooooo bad but in my track collection (the database overview) the BPM readings show as 152 (when its 151.92 for example). So it is complety impossible for me to hunt down the false readings and correct them without loading them first.

And what i absolutly dont get is the folowing: All these tracks are correct analysed in:

• Traktor
  • FL Studio
  • Cubase
  • AKAI MPC
  • And even on my 200 € Geming MDJ 500 cd player - and at least there i have the option to correct it on the device itself (200 € guys!!!)
  • My Behringer DDM 4000 Mixer - it has two BPM counters and is pretty fast pretty confident that it is 155 and not 154.23

Is there an option that i miss to only use whole numbers as BPM? I mean what maniac would record a track at 156.XX BPM? Sure this might happen when a song is performed live but comon guys, we have 2022 - everything is processed :-/

Pls help, my almost huuuge collection of Rawstyle, Hardcore, Psytrance etc. took years to analyse and now everything is off.

Hello @DJ_ArcTis Welcome to the forum.

First of all, we need to check how was your workflow going?

1. Did You analysed the tracks in Engine dj before putting them on prime 4?

2. Did You selected the proper bpm range for analysis?

3. Did You tried to reanalyse the tracks in Engine dj?

I also play a lot of rawstyle, psytrance, techno and hardcore, and all my tracks are 100% correct in Engine dj and on SC6000’s.

Hej, thanks for this fast reply.

And yes: I imported the tracks to engine dj on the pc, the BPM range was/is set to 98-195 (why this arbitrary cap?) and i reanalysed the tracks multiple times. I also deleted them from the collection and reimported them but to no avail :-/

The hard part is to find those tracks. I wouldnt mind set the grid by hand but there is no way to find them without loading them into a deck.

I noticed the issue when compiling crates and playlists. 154.92 to 155 dont seem like a huge diffrence but in the last quarter of the track the grid is noticeable off. I usally dont use quantisation but beatmatching i a bit teadious - I am able to do it manually but i dont want to :smiley:

Most tracks are correct but the few that arent bother me, especially since i know it can be done.

This is very easy to find and correct. As with all programs you will have errors. Quality of tracks does make a difference. Better quality tracks have less errors. All you need to do is go through them on your PC when you load them and correct them. Any DJ that loads tracks without checking for correct beat grids is setting themselves up for failure. I use both rekordbox and engine and both give problems.

AFAIK Engine DJ uses data from the id3 tag. Only if it doesn’t find the values then it generates it. At least for key detection I tried and confirm.

You could try with a few tracks on a usb stick from which you know they are wrong. Only the tracks. Get them analysed in any other software and make sure the data are correctly written to the file id3 tags, not only to the database. Once you got this done for your tracks read and Analyse them in engine.

Ahhh thanks to this comment i pinned down the issue! All the Tracks with these weid decimal BPMs are FLAC files! For most of them i have the option to download the mp3 version from the shop but dont really want to.

I cant understand that my 2000 € (at least here in germany) Equipment and software is unable to analyse the tracks whilst Traktor (100 € in sale) and FL Studio (99 € for basic version) do this with ease.

Heck just for the fun of it i used the BPM detection of god ol winamp and it was on point.

So the issue is somewhat solved but really have my doubts if im willing to accept this. 2000 €…