Waveform omitted on MP3

Could someone kindly assist with a idea as to why a MP3 track’s waveform would be omitted after analysing? Thanks

1 Like

what are the audio specifications of the track - eg: sample rate, bit rate etc. (you may be able to view these by right clicking on the file)

128 kbps , 6.4MB in size and 44 100 sample rate

Try burning the file to a CDR or CDRW, then re-rip it into your computer as a new audio file, or load the file into an audio editor or file formating program - such as Audacity or DBPoweramp etc (many many many more are available - but always be a little wary of cheap/free app of dubious origin.)

Sometimes, very odd things happen to file headers and files in general. Burning the file to an audio CD, then re-ripping it, allows you to be in control of what file format options are invoked.

Thank you Gee, will do.

It’s easier to clean the file of all metadata or to even import and then export (re-encode) from Audacity as a new mp3 file.

While true at a basic level, I beg to differ with this advice.

To begin with, unless you use a lossless format (WAV, FLAC, ALAC and a few less-known others) to go to CD and re-rip to MP3 yourself, you are losing information 2 times. Once going from lossy format to CD and then back to MP3. This will NOT improve sound quality one bit, actually make it a quite a bit worse.

If you have access to the original lossless format, you can totally save the conversion to CD step as you can go straight from the lossless copy to the desired lossy format (MP3, AAC, etx.). dBpoweramp which is mentioned by Gee is a very nice program. I have been using it for years. It’s not free, but low priced and comes with all kinds of goodies like batch-ripping (had a PC with six CD-players running concurrently when I converted my original CD collection) and batch-conversion which is nice if you have much converting to do.

Finally, if you use 128MP3, the quality is already so (audibly) bad, that any attempt to re-rip it will be a waste of time, imho. The only time I see 128MP3 anywhere is in illegal downloads, so that’s a no-no to begin with anyway.

Personally I’ll try to have original tracks (I save everything in FLAC, provided I am 100% convinced the original is true) and rip myself to end up with high-quality 320MP3 for use in my DJ software. Just me of course.

Finally, for those of you who are in doubt if your (downloaded) tracks are what they pretend to be, quality-wise, take a look at this tool. It will check and show you the track analysis if you want. It’s free, but a 15 euro (I think) donation unlocks all features and removes limitations on number of tracks you can do and such.

The same developer has some other useful tools too.

My two cents as usual.

I’m not suggesting the cd burn as any way to adjust audio quality.

I’m suggesting the burn and the re-rip as a method of quarantining whatever may have happened to the file or its parameters previously.

Thank you for the info guys. I Appreciate it.

That is what the true at a basic level was about. Doesn’t change the fact that this particular method automatically comes with declining audio quality. So while you might fix one problem, you insert another.

Hence my remarks.

Clearly we are all here with the same goal, which is to help each other out as Denon users.