Using Prime 4 do you need a laptop to run Serato pro for gigs?

Do you need a laptop to use Serato Pro for gigs or is it downloadable to your external drive on Prime 4 and then open from there? The reason I bought the Prime 4 was to not have to use a laptop for gigs.

Thank You very kindly for the quick reply.

This is exactly what the P4 offers you. However it does not use Serato. It uses it’a own internal operating system. Also as said above, you would best off to use a laptop to create a database for your music in order to search all your songs.

… … …

No you don’t need a laptop and no, you don’t need serato. Plug The prime 4 into the wall power socket and into your speakers and you’re DJing

Does anyone know if you can use Serato to prepare and setup hot cues/loops, etc… and then export them back into Engine Prime and finally copy to a USB and use these offline in standalone mode? I haven’t been able to see my hot Serato hot cues in Engine Prime.

Are you importing your Serato library via Engine Prime?

Once a track has been added to Engine Prime collection, if you add extra cues, loops etc in Serato, they won’t be transferred.

Workaround

Delete Engine Library and re-import Serato to Engine Prime

or use d.j.conversion utility - its a paid 3rd party app.

You need to get your workflow right here - whenever you add a new track ALWAYS process it through Serato first, then MIK (if that’s part of your process), then Serato again, then Prime and all the MIK Serato cues transfer through. If you then want to set your own, you can, but the Serato ones are all in.

this makes sense… I would want to use serato with Prime 4 hardware to help fine tune the cues and create loops, etc… and then finally transfer all to Engine Prime before going offline. I’ve yet to master file organization with a mixed of downloads from iTunes, SoundCloud and TIDAL, etc… I have to reflect on my overall workflow to get this right and avoid so much back and forth and rework.

Thanks for the inputs mufasa and yeltsin.

2 Likes