USB thumb drive choice for Standalone

Hi folks. I’m interested to see what model of thumb drive people are using for Standalone mode on the MCX8000.

Do you think that different brands perform better or worse? Is there an optimum size? USB 3 over USB 2? Etc…

I’ve tried using Sandisk 16gd Cruzer drives and had a few minor issues such as tracks not loading properly and folder structure appearing incorrectly.

Now I’ve settled on a Kingston USB 3 SE9 G2 Data Traveller 128gb, it’s only a quarter full, but it performs well.

Thoughts?

I just the Corsair Survivors, bulky and sturdy. I have a tendency of losing this stuff and/or leaving them in my pant pockets when they hit the laundry. These survive everything I think. Pricey though!

Here is a link to a DJ Tech Tools article that explains a lot of things. I believe it’s from 2015 but should still be fairly relevant.

Hope that helps some.

1 Like

The quality of Thumb Drives is very important when using standalone mode.

We hear from users from time to time with issues that turn out to be where someone is using a very cheap USB drives from eBay or promotional ones etc using USB 1 or very cheap memory chips.

Personally, I have found that Kingston performs very well. The advantage of USB 3 is higher transfer speeds. Cheaper memory can have performance issues such as the OEM Sandisk drives. Sandisk sells a more expensive Pro series which is designed for multimedia use or professional applications.

Unless I am mistaken, the USB 3.x speed advantage is only when connecting to desktop/laptop PC/Mac. Most, if not all?, USB ports on DJ gear support 2.x only?

This is true but to be honest the vast majority of issues take place in that Sync with the desktop :slight_smile:

Thanks DJ_Vintage. I did actually read that article before deciding on the Kingston SE9, which was something that a friend of mine had been using for a while with that “other” company’s multimedia players…

The Corsair Survivor seems robust, but I was worried about damage that might be done to the MCX if it ever got knocked by an over enthusiastic punter leaning over, due to it’s length. The Kingston SE9 is rather stubby.

Hi Simon - FAT32 is recommended as a format type for USB drives in readiness for the MCX8000 - I note that when using an Apple Mac, FAT32 isn’t listed as an actual option - what, of the drop down format choices (EX FAT or MS DOS FAT), would you best recommend our customers use?

I share your concerns for the safety of the USB port (not too worried about the stick, it’s rock solid). Unfortunately, unless you get one of those REALLY short, stubby ones, I think leaning on any stick in a player will potentially destroy the USB port.

One can only hope that the design guys have made the ports in such a way that they can be swapped relatively easy, i.e. not soldered directly to the motherboard requiring a total board replacement.

A possible solution for this situation could be something like this: or the cable equivalent:

This would most definitely remove a lot of the strain and in the cable option even allow you to have your sticks safe and out of sight (wonder if any DJs have their sticks just nicked/pulled out from under them during a gig).

The Prime players have a nice way of connecting, recessed in the front. Stress-free, no chance of bumping it yourself, nobody to lean on it and no way to reach it easily for grabby hands.

2 Likes

I use 6 of this one in ENGINE mode :

Kingston 32 Go

1 Like

Great question MS DOT Fat is basically FAT 32.

EX Fat was a format which was meant to replace FAT 32 but wasn’t widely picked up. Then Microsft ultimately went to NTFS for security.

Let me chip in here too. The original MS-Dos FAT, I believe, was 16-bit. Later FAT32 came out, which is - quite obviously - 32-bit and the defacto standard.

Unfortunately, even with Windows format option things don’t always go as planned. In such cases I have found the HP USB Disk Storage Tool to be the most trustworthy alternative. Apart from actual physically damaged sticks, it has always formatted everything I needed formatted. It supports FAT, FAT32 and NTFS. As said by Simon, FAT32 is the one you are looking for.

Final tip. If you want to use a used stick it is always good practice to re-format it. Even if it is already in FAT32 as is.

Just my two cents as usual.

1 Like

On Mac they like to confuse folks by calling it MS Fat but it is definitely Fat 32 :slight_smile:

Bloody Apple-odeans … :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello DJ_Vintage,

I have 3 pieces of Consair Voyager USB 3.0 all 64 GB.

I want try to format this sticks in FAT 32.

They are now in ex-FAT , how can i do that and with which tool.

Hennie

The standard tool in Windows (pick FAT32) or Google HP USB Disk Storage. Free to download from various sites.

On Mac standard tool (as Simon said pick MS-FAT).

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the regular “Survivor” and the “Survivor Stealth” other than the colour of the tube? I’m not seeing any difference, yet on some sites, there is a noticeable price jump to the Stealth.

Bit of a dubious thing. Pricing seems arbitrary. The 16GB ones are the same price. Some of the other models seem to have pretty big price differences indeed, BUT the other way around. Here the Stealth is cheaper than the silver ones. Looking at the performance specs I’d say they perform the same.

One difference I saw is that the stealth is Aircraft grade aluminum and the other is Military grade aluminum. But if that is actually something else and if that explains the price difference? I doubt it, specially with the smallest ones being the same price.

If you’re using Windows, you can format your drives by right-clicking on the drive in the Windows File Explorer and selecting Format.

If using Mac, formatting will be done in Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility). Select Erase.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks DenonDJBill,

For me as a new MBP user. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Windows 10 can’t format flash drive to FAT32 but only exFAT