USB Library Migration (players only)

Hi, I’m wanting some input from anyone, or the Denon reps that know the correct answer. I just updated one of my SC5000s (as a tester) to Engine 2.0 today. OTA worked! Inserting my USB Flashdrive, this message appeared: “Upgrade Drive…” with the options to Eject Drive or Migrate Library.

I currently DO NOT use the Engine DJ software (formerly Prime) to manage my music. I simply drag and drop my music files into the hierarchal folder trees that I created on my flash drives. So before I select “Migrate Library” I’d like to know what will happen? I will backup my USB flash drive to an external drive just in case everything blows up. But, want to know what occurs? Will it retain my folders as I created and do I have to re-analyze the tracks all over again? Is it going to delete the old database on the flash drive? I assume so, but will it at least retain analyzed track info/cue points, etc.,?

I saw similar topics about library migration, but they were from the standpoint of users utilizing the Engine DJ (formerly Prime) software.

As I stated, I don’t use Engine software on my laptop, I’ve never downloaded it since owning the players, I just use the SC5000s players to analyze my music from my USB flash drives on the go. Yes, that takes time, and considering that Engine DJ seems to have been re-written from the ground up, I will consider using it in the future. But for now I would appreciate someone’s input. Thanks!

Database will be migrated on the player like with the desktop software.

The old database stays in the same location and won’t be touched. A new subfolder “database2” will be made and the migration will only write to that new location.

Thanks for the response Reese!

With creating that database2 subfolder, should I expect to re-analyze all the files over again on the players?

Sometimes you need to, but don’t think so.

1 Like

I’m going to pull the trigger. Will report back after testing for a bit. Thanks.

1 Like

I selected ‘Migrate Library’ and as mentioned, my 2.0 updated SC5000 has all my folders/trees from the USB flash drive intact. It appears that previous analyzed files are also saved in the new database!

However, there are a few issues: I will post this in another appropriate thread as well, but within 5 minutes I already noticed these: Prepare list I was testing to see if it adds tracks from Tidal. This was a feature I was really excited about. It does. Or it did. And then the Prepare list stopped adding tracks shortly after a few minutes when I selected a track in Tidal and a message about ‘Corrupt Database’ popped-up. After that pop-up, it would still let me select tracks from Tidal and add them to the Prepare list, but they were not actually appearing when I opened that list. The same applies to tracks from the USB flash drive, I could swipe, but they would not appear in the list. Additionally, the few songs that were in the list, remained in the Prepare list even after I had played them! Analyzed tracks (new & previous) from my USB flash drive do not retain the metadata (album art, BPM, Time, Key) in the Browse window (image provided). However, once I ejected the USB flash drive and re-inserted it, the analyzed tracks displayed the album art (only).

One thing for sure, the players are analyzing tracks nearly twice as fast as before! But for some reason, are not displaying the metadata in the Browser window right side as expected like previous versions. Like I said, I will look in other threads for this info. This is just a follow-up to the post I created in case others who use the players only and not the software on their desktop/laptops to prep and analyze tracks.

1 Like