Upgrade questions sc5000 or prime 4

Looking to upgrade from my cdl-400’s and djm-400 as I want to incorporate an external synth and machine into my workflow but have been limited with a 2 channel mixer and honestly I’ve pretty much maxed out what’s possible with my setup currently.

I’m not a mobile Dj anymore and this is my home/hobby/fun so portability isn’t an issue.

What is an issue is figuring out what is best for my style of mixing and experimentation as Inlike to incorporate external midi clocked instruments into my mixing and my current mixer isn’t able to do that and only had 2 channels.

The prime 4 doesn’t have a midi out so that may just be the clincher unless it sends via usb?

I’m also still trying to figure out the feature differences between going with a prime 4 setup or sc5000 separate system. Jog size isn’t a major factor either since the cdj’s I use are something like 5” however onboard effects and possible expansion, ability to record live and ability to route to external effects along with not needing a laptop are all at the top of my list. Along with being able to power up and start mixing.

I realize it’s subjective however I’ve found that through conversation, new information or ideas come up that can help to make a better decision so fire away!

Because you want to make use of other devices in your setup I would say you’re better off with the whole Prime Kit (Sc5000 & X1800) rather than the controller. We have already been told that a few of the Prime 4 features will be introduced to the SC5000s. Keep in mind they both use the same ecosystem.

I own the kit and have been happy with it so far. My only issues (which I am certain will be addressed in due time) is with the effects. I still have not gotten used to them having had a DJM all these years. I used echo a lot with my old setup but can’t get used to the one on the x1800 but instead have adopted and love the “wash out” for now.

The good thing about this mixer is that it can be upgraded. Unlike the competitor’s mixer, the effect names are not marked on the mixer but rather show up on the display and since I bought mine, 2 more (effects) have been added. I am sure in time, this mixer will be better (to my liking) than my old one :slight_smile:

I don’t think you would be disappointed. It’s a great kit to play with and has room for future enhancements unlike the competitor’s gear.

1 Like

I’m glad I asked as I did not know that the internal effects were able to be upgraded or you can add more. I wonder if this is akin to software synth patches for physical hardware, apologies for the obscure reference, where you could either create your own or download more and upload to the mixer?

Coming from a DJM background as well, never used a Denon mixer before, only their players, I’m sure it will be a bit of a learning curve and re-wiring of how things are “done”, especially that touch pad. I’ve got a row of 1 1/4 3/4 etc to slice effects on my current mixer, the touch pad should prove interesting.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the mixer in relation to my wanting to incorporate external hardware!

1 Like

You’re welcome Nils and good luck with your choice.