Turning off screen when in use with Serato?

Hey guys, i wanted to share an idea which would be probably useful for some users.

I use to mix always with Serato, as standalone mode is a bit restrictive. My computer stands right above the mcx8000 and I have to say that i don’t use those 2 screens at all, as I’ve got my PC right in front of my eyes with every info I need.

So, my idea was to turn off those screens which use A LOT of memory (to transfer track info from the PC to the controller) when in use with a computer, and turn them on when in use in standalone mode. That would probably be a real deal for DJs who use older PC or less powerfull ones (from a personnal experience, when i began to mix with the mcx8000, i was using an PC with i5 processor, 8Gb flash and when i was searching for a song through the controller, the sound was cracking and jumping).

I don’t know if that’s something that could be implanted in the next update as an option in the controller (like for screen brightness and stuff) but i think it would be great in terms of “accessibility” for “less expensive computer” DJs which i used to be.

Hope you understood me and that it’s a thing you will think about :slight_smile: (sorry for my english, it’s not my main language)

I’m curious, why buy the 8000 if you didn’t want the screens? The 7000 is basically the same thing minus the screens for less money.

1 Like

Although yes it is basically the 7000 that the poster wants I’m going to assume he is already using an 8000 and does not want to buy a new controller just to turn the screens off. Lets assume again the 7000 wasn’t out when the poster purchased the 8000.

Anyway so basically a firmware update to enable the screens of the 8000 to be turned off. is basically what you are looking for then? However I’d also say that the actual issue that the poster is mentioning is actually something else entirely.

The issue is that you have a very good spec machine and found when using serato that sound distortion is an issue when searching through tracks. Well thats not actually an issue with the Denon unit or with the data pulled to the unit i’d say its more to do with Serato and the latency settings. Also the size of your library and other tweaks on the laptop…

I for one have never had an issue with an i5 windows laptop with 8gb and and ssd (windows 10) and a library of 11000+ songs and using serato. But others with beefier laptops have (heck my mates laptop as a mac had loads of issues).

So is the issue you have repeatable every time? if so is your AV running, have you done all the optimisations that serato suggest?, running the latest firmware, using the good USB port and all that? Is the music collection on the internal SSD or using a USB drive? All these things can lead to audio drop outs also increase the latencey of by 1 notch and see if you can re-create.

This isnt itself an issue with the spec of the machine you are using or the 8000 and its screens (although it does take up a little more usb traffic than say a 7000, but then thats what minimum spec sheets are for). I’d say its more Serator and the other aspects.

1 Like

@JonnyLove you completely understood my situation, I did bought the MCX8000 when it came out and the 7000 wasn’t announced. Another point to buy this unit was because of the standalone mode, I used to found it useful because at this time, I was using an old computer (i5, 8Gb ram, 500Gb HDD) and I wanted a sort of “security” in case of crash and stuff like that.

When I got the mcx8000, I experienced sound distortions when I was searching for a track through the unit. My computer was fully optimized for Serato and was only used for mixing (so not even one other soft was install appart from Serato). I add that I used this pc on very various units but never got this problems before the 8000.

Now I bought a brand new PC with very good spec (i7, 16Gb ram, 500SSD) and I’ve got absolutely no problems. So from my experience and from a quite logical deduction, the unit must use a lot of memory to transfer track info from the computer to the screens and that’s why it causes those sound distortions.

And that’s why I made this post. I found that it would be a advantage for the unit to be used even with a less effective computer by simply turn off those screens. That’s more an idea than a complain :wink:

3 Likes

Ah yes - I do forget there was more time than it seems between the release of the two units. Anyway, as JonnyLove mentioned, your older machine was spec’ed decently so should have been able to run it. I would also suspect there was probably something else going on with that machine that was causing you some issues.

In the bigger picture, it shouldn’t be a difficult feature to add. A simple on/off toggle would do it. I would suspect the toggle would be part of the software though - not on the actual hardware. Just turning the screens off wouldn’t accomplish much if the software was still pumping all that data down the line because it didn’t know they weren’t on.

If you are using a mac, this can be achieved by simply removing the screens in the midi setup. I’m sure something similar could be done with a pc. Basically just disable the midi screens.