Tidal price change for DJs from April

Tidal have announced that from April 2024 the pricing for DJs is increasing.

$10.99 for consumers. $19.99 for DJs.

I was pretty disappointed when I got the email about this. Theyā€™re also dropping the military discount. $20 for DJs is just enough to make me switch to something else. Iā€™m probably going to start focusing on building a larger local collection of music.

1 Like

Yeah, I moved away from Tidal a while ago, knowing this was due. I have no access to streaming on my Prime kit now. I wonder if weā€™ll see this happening across the other providers. Some have already stopped stem separation.

I donā€™t have any active subscription for a while, but afair it was about 8-9ā‚¬ for the regular HiFi tier, which was perfectly fine for me and most other users (320kbps). That new plan equals a price doubling. Lossless is better for offline files than streaming anyway, especially where cellular or Wi-Fi connection is mediocre.

Tl, dr: No, thanks.

1 Like

Can anyone explain to me what the difference is?

What would a DJ get instead of a normal user?

I was thinking about TIDAL as I spend so much on Apple Music, also it makes sense to get a subscription and stop buying music which others are getting for free elsewhere.

The only advantage is probably the ability to cache tracks for offline use. This has been implemented in VirtualDJ. Not sure about Rekordbox or Serato.

Offline caching (for any service) is a long promised thing from Denon. Maybe now is the time?

1 Like

You ā€œgetā€ to make money on the back of the Tidal service when you are out playing bangers and serving sambucaā€™s

2 Likes

Just saw this email from them. So if I still only want to use 16/44.1 lossless for DJ streaming, theyā€™ve effectively multiplied the student price X4 (300% increase). From $5/month to now $20/month with features I donā€™t need. Absurd.

2 Likes

So I get this correct, you join a streaming service, download tunes you like into a playlist letā€™s say, then you upload them to your Prime 4 where you have the internal storage device and then you can use them as you please and donā€™t need to be connected to the internet? If this is what they are going to do that is a game changer and why would anyone ever buy music again? Sorry brain engaged before typing :joy: so how do you analyse tracks on these stream services? I take itā€™s just the same process with a Prime 4? For Ā£9 or $9 more itā€™s a no brainier. Have I got this correct?

Also should have said thanks for the reply to my question.

:joy: So your thoughts are for the professionals and not the hobby DJ. Sambuca only if itā€™s black :joy: I canā€™t do the clear stuff for some reason.

When Denon do finally get around to enabling offline storage then you will be able to cache a certain amount of tracks from the service on your device, enabling playback without requiring an internet connection.

Itā€™s not permanent though, and the tracks are protected, so you donā€™t own them and they canā€™t be played anywhere else. They would stop being playable if you cancel your subscription.

1 Like

Thatā€™s how I thought about it, Iā€™ve already contacted them for an answer, as if itā€™s like the person above said then this is great value for money if you can get the tracks you wanted, as a hobby DJ Iā€™m not out making cash, Iā€™m spending my cash on tunes from Apple, Iā€™ve been tempted to go to one of these free sights and get 100,000 tracks for free, however I keep having a moral battle about this, if someone could get for free what my business done I would be finished and thatā€™s not fair, even though many DJā€™s have said Iā€™m mad for buying new tracks all the time. I guess time will tell, fingers crossed itā€™s much more than just ripping off DJā€™s as we actually promote music for free.

Ah cool, so I think Iā€™ve got this wrong then, I have a PRS license with my business that I was going to use if I ever went out DJing, so this is just for DJā€™s who want to stream music from the TIDAL service and pay double for the pleasure. Sounds like a bad deal to me as it will just push DJā€™s to a cheaper service. Thanks for the clarification

I wonder what places DJā€™s get their music for free?

This price change is insane. Did Tidal not just drop stems support as well ? I have used Tidal and Beatport for a longer time and even with the lower quality on Beatport I had so much more fun.

1 Like

So they got back to me so quickly as I said to customer service Iā€™m thinking of joining the subscription, so this is what you get and also who it works with. Wow is my thinking, the more seasoned DJā€™s please your thoughts before I spend more cash that I might not need too.

1 Like

It says they will allow stem separation on this new subscription.

1 Like

Neither Tidalā€™s adulterated ā€˜Hiresā€™ nor stems separation are of interest to me, unfortunately.

Iā€™ll probably end up back on Soundcloud, even though itā€™s not lossless. They have more diverse & obscure electronic & dance stuff, anyway. The whole point of me going Tidal was better sound quality at the same price as Soundcloud even if I lost some of the selection diversity and the great sub-genre categorization. Tidalā€™s organization is horrible. Iā€™ve gotten past that, though, by creating/stealing a massive number of playlists, which Iā€™ll be sad to lose.

1 Like

TuneMyMusic

Thank me later.

2 Likes