Spotify Integration!

It would be impossible. Spotify do not permit use of their service from with DJ software (or hardware) or by DJs. It’s for personal use only.

They announced this more than a year ago.

Good feature for wedding DJs they’re just playing songs. Also, good for beginners to learn what to do.

Not for professional DJs who actually mix and play public gigs for a few reasons.

1. Lack of fidelity - pros and audiophiles only play lossless files (or at least 320)

2. Latency is not your friend when you’re mixing music.

3. Internet is unreliable. Lost connection = lost collection

4. As a professional, you make money doing what you do and it’s best to give back to the artists that give you fire tracks. You buy their music-they keep making it. It’s a good way to support the electronic music community.

Cool tech. I wouldn’t use it, but I see a purpose for it.

Doesn’t hurt me or help me.

Also, If pros start using it out they’ll end up sounding the same from using the same library. DJs with unique collections will stand out all the more.

Very unlikely

The full tracks are cached locally before playback, even when you lose wifi/internet, the song will still play in its entirety like a local file

Agree, but then you are not looking at the huge data streaming generates as feedback for the artistes. Data is valuable and can be monetized.

3 Likes

I use spotify for listening and it seems to present the same music to me as it does to my other friends. There might be 70 million tracks but that’s across all genres not just mixable electronic music. I also find it pushes a lot of the same artists regardless of what the seed of the station is. Got to dig the web to find the freshest tracks others aren’t playing yet.

I don’t buy it that it would be streaming lossless files reliably unless there is some strong internet. Spotify streams 128 in browsers and 320 in the app. I can’t find anything about what quality Spotify streams specifically with the Denons. I’d be surprised if it was over 320.

Sure there is an offline locker, but I think the size of that locker is 100 songs at most. (like Beatport offers) I personally have thousands of songs with me when I play out and morph what I’m doing while reading the crowd. Hard to do with a restricted list.

Also, it violates Spotify’s user policy to DJ commercially. It’s not intended for public paying gigs.

From their website:

" 4. Licence and assignment The Spotify Service and the content provided through it are the property of Spotify or Spotify’s licensors, and we grant you a limited, non-exclusive, revocable licence to make personal, non-commercial use of the Spotify Service and to receive the media content made available through the Spotify Service in your Local Country, based on the Subscription or Trial you have selected (the “Licence”). This Licence shall remain in effect for a period of 20 years unless terminated by you or Spotify."

I think you covered and quelled almost every point in contention there Mufasa.

I would also add that perhaps the term “wedding DJ” and what they do/play and how they play/mix may not be fully understood and appreciated by absolutely everyone, and possibly Mia-understood by a wide degree by others.

1 Like

Somebody hasn’t read the thread…

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.