SoundCloud DJ

I’m a sick puppy - I am doing that a month on Beatport.

:grinning:

I’d be doing that sometimes back in the 80s, after getting my weekly wage - straight down to the record shop and buy a big stack of vinyl. These days it’s just a weekly top up of 5-10 tracks.

Those were the days - I can so vividly recall the train journey home after spending the afternoon at Swag records and Big Apple records in Croydon - I was uber excited to get home, to listen to my treasures.

The digital age is WAY more convenient and cheaper, but we have lost the emotional attachment with physical records.

2 Likes

I could not agree more. Not only for records. For almost everything.

Progress, right?

:roll_eyes:

I’m saving so much money and so much space, I don’t care about the emotional attachment :grinning:

If I’d bought every track in my collection on vinyl or CD, I would have no room left in my house!

As it is, having stopped buying physical media in the 90s (I’d guess) it’s already impossible for me to keep it all in one room.

I feel for you.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:]

In fairness - each to his own, right?

People making good music is also lost. A lot of stuff is too formulated.

If I put a remix on the cloud would anybody stream it?

80’s & 90’s DJ who was on most of the major mailing lists at the time, & also did the weekly big shop at my local record store.

I’ve gone from a spare bedroom with floor to ceiling racks containing 15,000 12 inch singles, to a 4Tb hard drive on the side of my desk.

Does the 4Tb drive feel the same as the records though? I don’t think so. It’s a visceral feeling when you touch a record - it can and never will be replaced by digital media, sadly. Hope you’ve got a backup of that drive, mate - nothing like losing 15000 tunes, all in one go.

I hear you when it comes to space though - I only have around 2000 records, but even then, its a bit of a mission storing them.

2 backups. One kept offsite & rotated every couple of weeks or so.

Let me tell you a little story… I was that guy who was a vinyl officianado. So i totally “get it” when people talk about that special connection or experience that you only get with records.

Unfortunately, I was unlucky enough to lose about 4,000 of my records in a small house fire. No serious damage done, but I lost a sizeable chunk of tunes. …since then, i’ve genuinely not been bothered about records.

At the end of the day it’s only plastic, & peoples lives are more important.

Absolutely, mate - I completely understand your decisions.

4000 records gone up in smoke. Ouch!

I was upset enough when another DJ stole about 5 records out of my bag years ago. I can’t imagine losing thousands of 'em. :cry:

I think I’d cry for a month if I lost my records.