Showstoppers and Issues with SC5000M

When I played on that event we had an Xone 92 mixer plugged in. So hard to say, that X1800 caused anything. I didn’t experience any dropouts but the decks seem to be a bit slow. Not like usually when I play on my decks, that are lightning fast. @TheHrdRebel decks were acting like with a delay that night… I was thinking it was my own fault that something was not right, got very confused… Anyway, that night was full of odds :smiley:

I remember an event earlier I broke a drive in a laptop only because of vibration. Also had a couple of times usb disconnected and reconnected only by the bass. That was a wild set, but then we used a different pair of decks, or were these the same?

My first thought, hairline cracks on pcb’s. After @NoiseRiser mentioned that these units reacting slower than others, maybe really a flawed cpu batch or inconsistent memory could be responsible for it. Perhaps it is possible that a malfunctioning or to small dimensioned inbuild power supply causes some of the issues, just a faulty capacitor could be enough. In worst case all comes together. Remember Murphy’s law.

yes both units came out of the same batch, nearly identical serialz ending - 3436 & - 3446

true, several issues are identical some differ

We had luckily spare units around. At one gig we had to exchange with the DJM900NXS2 of our rental partner, next night we were forced to place the full Pioneer rig from the rental beside the two SC5000m, increasing the event costs (kindly asked, who will replace such higher costs?). In December at a secret Video shot, we tried to perform with the Setup (before it was returned) but it was a hopeless endeavor. Hangin’ / self reseting units no Artist can handle or perform. We had to switch to the club owned non-Denon stuff.

Great News? For me, it’s very sad news if a less than 10 day old X1800 must be replaced after a few hours of light use with a new one due to the holy bunch of delivered issues. Maybe a sign of bad Quality Control, before units are shipped. I didn’ t list all the errors regarding the X1800 in this post cause Denon already signaled to swap the X1800. But there were so many issues that these crappy unit was fully useless to us. It makes me sick, when new units have to be serviced after one slightly use, have to be send back and are far away to use for a longer time period over 4 month. Not understandable at all is that devices such as the X1800 are still delivered with issues that have long been well known as factory production errors, but obviously still have not been fixed in factory commodity production. Some x1800 owners reported to having received an X1850 as a replacement for their faulty X1800 unit, so we asked DenonDJ to do the same (if necessary with a small paid surcharge). This was refused. Frankly, does DenonDJ accept approvingly that Artists have to deal with faulty equipment on public stages?

We need reliable, solid units to trust in, that simply work. Not stupid words for things that should be taken for granted in this pro price range.

To resume, here are our “Great News” of turnaround times in short:

Bought several setups:

• Setup one: Mixer X1800 was Dead on Arrival, Unit send back directly - replacement took over five months. We had to rent a spare mixer to compensate
  • Setup two: Mixer sold, seems to work, both SC5000m’s are still originally packed (sale items // emergency backup stock)
  • Setup three: All three units crappy since Delivery in November, Not solved yet, X1800 will be swapped, both SC5000m are part of this thread discussion, turnaround time already >4 month

Which firmware was used on the players ? Did you use fully analyzed files or where they rekordbox databases which had to be anlayzed by first loading ?

Some of these things have been happening since release.

I’m sure Denon will sort you out, the limited involvement I’ve had with the team has been positive.

I previously had one of my players crash when playing on it in a livestream, however, since the release of 1.6 I’ve not had this issue again.

I’ve used my players and mixers for two charity livestreams, one being 24 hours, the other being 26 hours. During this I was doing dnb quick mixing, dual layer mixing, using my SSD and tidal. I have zero issues, zero crashes, zero complaints (bar a bug with the back button, but that was easily avoided).

I’m not saying you don’t have issues, far from it! However in my experience I’ve not had any of the issues you have and hope they get sorted for you.

The only thing I might wonder would be, does the same issue happen with various mediums? (I’ve read this on my phone so might of missed it). As in, do you get the same with all usb ports with various usb devices/ SSDs? Does it happen with tidal/ SoundCloud etc

That’s why we think it must be hardware related.

Well, my personal players also never let me down. Since day 1, they are rock solid and @TheHrdRebel seen them running good multiple times. But unfortunately he has some real problems with his decks. I was convinced at first, that it was something wrong with me, not with the players. I realised what was wrong actually after he told me about it… I was so hardly convinced that everything should be fine, that was stress and/or people related issue… but no…

That’s true, real buggy hardware.

@NoiseRiser not your fault, as we know now it belongs only to these two decks. Several DJs had to many issues with it including me. @Noah_Agricola Noah owns the same setup too. I played on it with my sticks and the behavior is totally different. No hangs, no hickups or resets. fast & smooth. No link problems or loosing drives etc.

I think this only happens when hooked up to a Denon x18xx mixer. Was yours hooked up to that mixer when it happened and how many times did it happen to you so far?

Is it similar to these posts?

https://community.enginedj.com/t/solved-pressing-cue-while-track-is-playing-leaves-the-platter-unresponsive/37815?u=wyley1

https://community.enginedj.com/t/expected-behavior-switching-layers-quickly-can-cause-platter-to-become-unresponsive/36084

Hey @Wyley1

I played on that gig when was the issue a year ago. The mixer was xone 92. Your issues are not related unfortunately. I also was trying to help solve these, as far as I seen…

Are you talking about this one?

I’m still trying to track the cause of it.