Serious error effects and seep fx doubled volume rise prime go

Some advice that someone very wise gave me a long time ago.

If you don’t have anything nice to say, then don’t say anything.

Just consider if you had expectations that weren’t met and you just dropped a thousand dollars. How you would feel.

1 Like

Shame you can’t take your own advice then

…as that comment from you was far less nice than my observation that the fx difference should be fixed and that fx mixing wasn’t the only way of mixing.

You might consider trying some of the other types of mixing that don’t require fx, in the meantime, while seeing if denon will adjust the current fx Params, or not. Or of course, you might not consider the other types of mixing. That’s totally up to you

I do not have a prime go or the 1800 mixer yet… But this may not be an issue or can you provide some more feedback (no pun intended). The original post says the volumes are increasing when using effects like a delay. Please look at page 25 of the user manual. Some effects like echo and reverbs use feedback and decay. Most effects hardware offer these envelopes or gates. Without knowledge of Denon’s effects i can only assume you are experiencing a feedback loop. This is normal and a great advantage for mixing ambient music. Some effects require knowledge of these signal paths and adjustments to the following envelopes like a channel volume or gain.

I would start with the user manual, turn down feedback and decay adjustments and bring down the volume as the effect is introduced into the mix. It sounds like the original poster is trying to help someone less experienced.

I could only hope a little device like the go has some wild delay and reverbs. Can you imagine playing some noisy bliss, drinking coffee with a battery powered music machine. Now im all excited to make coffee and mix music.

Some DJs are saying the fx volume is going up up up when they run the effects. Other DJs here are saying the fx volume is going down down down.

The one fx can’t be doing both - there got to be a variable or a user setting in the menu that’s boosting or dipping the fx - that sounds like a Intended parameter to me

It’ll probably be a massive asset having that control , it may take time for all to find it and master it though.

Another thought is maybe where the fx bank is fed from Eg post/pre channel gain And post/pre fader and crossfader.

So maybe if the channel gain is blasted up into the red but the channel fader is only half way up, the effects die away quick, but if the channel gain is just bouncing low, and the channel fader is right up to the top the fx build and build in volume , or the other way round.

Like all things amazing, it just takes practice. Now that we have tried to help this new friend I’m going to go turn the feedback up on my sp404 and mix some jon hopkins.

1 Like

Thanks for you feedback but I have set the feedback all the way down and there’s no channel indicator for levels so I keep it in the middle as far as the trim knob for each channel.

The volume increases 6db as soon as you turn on the echo and if you leave it on it gets Louder.

My x1800 only gets loud after the effect has been left on for longer than the set parameter for the beat. Ex: 1 beat, 4 beats, etc

This thing if you have it set for 2 beats the very second you turn on the echo instant volume increase.

I’m not pulling my channel fader down 25% of the way every time I want to throw an echo out because then there’s no tail on the echo because the volume is turned down.

Believe me guys I get what your saying but I’ve been DJ’ing for 25 years. I know how an effect is supposed to work

Thank you for your feedback and help

2 Likes

It may have nothing to do with your FX issue (or it may have), but ever since DJ mixers came as standard with gain/trim knobs there really is no need to use volume faders instead of gain/trim knobs for gain staging a track before mixing it it and keeping your volume fader not at 100%.

I see shaitload of people still doing it and it’s silly.

1 Like

thank you very much, dj aluzion, you are absolutely right, I have also been mixing for many years, I still do many acts, the go is very practical, but I cannot afford not to do the fx correctly, the croosfader does not cut well … . does not work with resolume … there are many errors that have to be corrected …

I think this video shows well what the OP is trying to highlight. Whenever Mojaxx plays around with the wash effect you can clearly hear that the volume jumps up significantly. The OP is saying this is the same for the normal effects too.

I’m in agreement the effects need work. The echo max feedback is way too short, the effect tails fade too abruptly when you turn the effect off, as opposed to pulling down the fader, the ping pong needs decay instead of pan, reverb is too harsh.

5 Likes

Glad to see your still looking into this, i have some interests in the go so this is helpful information. This could be a case of the signal path. Turn the gains down to about to about a quarter turn from the left and bring up the channel faders with a little headroom in the fader. Then adjust the main to bring up the volume. If the main volume is low dial in a little more gain. Depending on the signal path and gain staging the signal going to the effect path may be too hot, and probably is.

There is a difference between the gain and channel fader in the signal path. In theory you would look for 0db to the channel then 0db to the mains before the effects. The vu at the fader is from the gain, the vu on the main output is from the channel fader. I later saw something in another post that the channel meters may not display the gain, but the master in the current firmware. But this still applies. If you have your faders up and your main up you can bring the gain up just a little bit to reach the desired 0db output.

I hope someone will try this. Im very interested to hear some of your feedback if you own the hardware. And hopefully this will reduce the peak when the effects are triggered.

1 Like

That’s the problem, you use a new device, you have to learn using this device. It does not work like a Pioneer mixer (which are better). Effects works well but you must turn down the dry/wet knob and use the feedback button instead. If you turn the wet knob too much it creates more effects, so more volume. You don’t have an effect limiter on Prime go.

Generally you don’t use more than 50/60% of dry/wet button on Prime Go.

Prime go has an internal limiter which can’t be bypassed (unlike P4)

2 Likes

The only thing i got out of this video was a DJ who enjoyed mixing music in a lawn chair. And what he learns listening to the recorded mix will make his next lawn chair mix sound better. This little device looks awesome and fun to play spontaneous mixes for and with friends. Im going to need one of these next summer. I hope the mk2 has main stage sound quality, an internal 30-40,000 watt amp, mind controlled pitch faders and xray wave forms so i can see my musics boobies.