Right out of the box..how would YOU setup your Utility Menu on the X1800?

If I would be wrong, it would sound bad. If it’s not, it means I am not wrong. Stop playing god of knowledge, no one asked for it, it’s really getting irritating. I spend a lot of time with audio engineers in studios and on the venues. You don’t have even half of their experience. Numbers are not the indication of human hearing perception. They can tell You it’s wrong, but it will sound good. When it is like that, it sounds good.

Right, voodoo and pretend is an indication of human perception. You are wrong, you’re just behaving extremely conservatively with your mixer levels after doing something stupid to the USB out level. It’s your prerogative, just don’t act like you know what you’re talking about and that it’s good advice. It’s not.

mind sharing what your settings are set at?

My tone controls are probably set to EQ and the bass band is set low like 100 or 150hz and higher than normal on the treble, I believe. Both the X1800s are in cases at the moment and the Rane is hooked up, so that’s a guess.

On the other stuff, put the SPDIFs & USBs all at zero both ins and outs, the master & booth outs at 10dB lower than its default so people can’t crank the master out past unity when the knob is at max, and I turn the limiter off since it’s just going to burn out drivers if people abuse it… which they’re more likely to do if it’s on than if it’s off and sounds like crap when they clip. If they sound worse doing it, they’re more likely to stop doing dumb stuff that endangers the sound system. If all you’re doing is streaming and/or recording at home, you can turn the master limiter back on. For that matter, if all you’re doing is using it at home, you can leave the master & booth out attenuators at default and just put the master knob at its marked zero.

By the way, if you’re using software & USB inputs to the X1800, DEFINITELY use the pad in the software if its headroom settings affect the USB audio when in external mode. You can fiddle with the software settings and see if it’s changing the levels into the mixer. If the headroom setting has no effect on the individual channels when in external mode (I believe VDJ 8 had this issue and it only attenuated the master), then you have to go turn all the channel gain/trims in the program down to like -6dB to ensure you’re never compressing or clipping anything in the software to the mixer ever… this is even with auto gain turned on due to things like software effects. You’re better off just turning auto gain off, anyway, though. Oh, and just put your software and the interface (in this case the X1800) at the sampling rate most of your music is, which is usually just 44.1khz.

2 Likes

Good to know, that I don’t know… thanks… Go write a book maybe about it… You are wasting Your talent here.

He sometime comes across as wasted, for sure.

1 Like

Hah hah… I was going to say that about those sound engineers… seeming like they’re “on something”.

Just stumbled upon this, entertaining as always!

1 Like

Thanks to all of you that commented.

Correction: We have no current control over the SPDIF inputs attenuation pad on the X1800, which I believe was most recently changed in the last firmwares to a lower -15.5dB. That works fine for me… or at least until they add a -6dB processing pad on the players, in which case it will need to be either adjustable like on the X1700 or changed to -10dB. The USB inputs we do, and on such inputs (USB or SPDIF) all you’re adjusting is the digital domain pad for them and thus what kind of range you’re working within on the gain/trim knobs. So you can put the single USB channel input setting to whatever you want without it making any fidelity difference. I believe it defaults to +6, which is a good match for a -6dB attenuation to the external mixer in the your DJ software you should be using. I haven’t bothered to test if that’s on top of the -15.5dB pad, in other words I don’t know if the USB and SPDIF both use that one, too.

I checked on of my X1800s, and the iso crossover points are currently set for 2000khz and 100hz by me. That’s totally a matter of personal preference, and next week I wouldn’t be surprised if I change it.

X1800 EQ mode does not do canned kill when full left. Not a bad thing, just adding info.