Right out of the box..how would YOU setup your Utility Menu on the X1800?

Interested in hearing how YOU setup/tweak your X1800 “Utility” menu…ie. Digital Out, USB Out, etc------>O R do you just run your X1800 on “factory” default? Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Great question!! Just abou to get one tomorrow myself - how does everyone setup their effects also???

The edits I’ve done are:

• setting the colours of the pfl buttons to match the colours assigned by Serato to each track. This is unfortunate, as what I’d like to do is to be able to set the colours myself in Serato. I need to go with the ones Serato decides.
  • pfl buttons to be off instead of dimmed when off.
  • reordering the FXs to put the ones I use the most at the top.
  • bumped up the resonance of the filter FX.
  • big FX button set to orange colour

On top of this, I’d had liked to tune a bit more the FXs themselves, but this is not possible. FXs are not very customizable in the X1800 (I don’t know how it’s in other mixers as I’m coming from Traktor). Only customizations you can do is filter resonance and noise level, AFAIK.

Also, I’d like to dim the channel FX enabled LED a bit, as it’s glazing bright for my home setup.

2 Likes

EQ on isolation.

FX resonance on 0.

Cue headphone split other way around. Master left ear. Level somewhat higher because of my DT770.

Rest as is.

Leave the limiter off. Pad the master out at -10dB. Put the master knob at max and leave it.

I’m hoping they add a “Side” mode to the cue select in addition to Left and Right that changes based on whether ch 1 or 2 or channels 3 & 4 are selected. If you had the cue/prgm pan knob all the way to the left, that would also mean you could have both a left cue in the left ear and a right cue in the right ear at the same time. Flip it back to the right and it should bring the master in stereo back with no cues.

I would be cool with the Master knob becoming resonance as an option, too. I don’t like needing to have resonance or cue side up on the screen all the time.

1 Like

I think you missed the point about “out of the box”

Other than the master pad, my two used settings are currently not set and forget, though.

Just got my x1800 Monday anymore settings you guys would like to share?

Pull up USB recording +10dB, it is very silent…

Why, so you can compress or clip the sound if you hit the first blue?

I run my inputs max at 0dB, so the recording in Logic pro comes very silent. Adding 10dB over usb master out fixes the issue, and I am still having enough headroom on the recording.

Inadvisable, but it’s your mixer. 0dBVu = -18dBFS and is the “nominal” level for the design and average level over time the system should be running at to get both the best combination of its specified total dynamic range verses appropriate safety headroom. That’s normal and what’s being visually metered. Peaks on usual operation should exceed the nominal point. To be a similar relative loudness to normal music, the only content that only needs to go up to 0dBVu in a set would be the most highly compressed music, pink noise, or a sin wav. What you’re doing is basically functioning like your mixer only has one blue LED. And it’s not as if it’s virtual. You’re literally lowering the brick wall. Adding 10dB to the live USB output is less wise than either running your mixer levels hotter on the actual metering that gives you visual feedback or simply raising the level of the recording later in post. If you’re the only person using the system, you don’t care about worse S/N ratio from the mixer analog outs, and you know how you’ve rigged it, then more power to you, I guess.

I’d like to know if anyone has changed the HPF and LPF settings, and if so, to what?

You mean band divisions on the tone controls or the bleed vs full cut option on the combined filter knob with the 12 o’clock bypass? I tweaked them all, and also frequently change the resonance setting for the filter.

When I play, I have the peaks jumping one or two led’s up. That is ok. I like to keep my tracks on a same level when mixing, thats why I keep the headroom and see/hear when it’s too loud or to low so I can adjust the input gain, no need to touch the master - once set, runs as it should, no problems. We never encountered any issues and with such setting and Inputs/outputs usage we still get better quality sound out of prime then on nexus 2 set. Many venues and pro sound engineers agree with that, and we know it’s the proper way. No need to go in to specific sound physics and signal processing discussions here. We know what we do, it works, quality is high. No one complains, everybody is happy.

I was referring to these settings: EQ These settings determine how the Channel EQ knobs work.

• High Cross Over: This is the crossover frequency between the High and Mid EQ knobs when the Type is set to ISO: 1000Hz–8000Hz (in varying increments).
  • Low Cross Over: This is the crossover frequency between the Mid and Low EQ knobs when the Type is set to ISO: 100Hz–800Hz (in varying increments).

Ok, then. You’re backtracking, though.

As you’re kind of hinting at when you mention “hear”, loudness consistency from track to track is not predicated by peaks, unless every track’s the same RMS.

Your engineers appear to be clueless.

As for the sound quality thing, the Prime system is measurably inferior by like a hundred fold unless you’re comparing like keylock & master tempo features turned on while you’re at substantial negative pitches on the fader. Even if I was at -6% on both with keylock/master tempo activated, I’d still probably rather listen to a DJM-800+CDJ-1000mk3 over Prime’s current audio processing. NXS2, more so. Not saying this is a hardware thing, either, or that it can’t be improved. You like IMD + compression, more power too you, I guess. Being able to mess around with keys and not have to worry about sound quality getting hugely worse is nice. Sound is already degraded from the get-go, though.

As for the USB thing, what you originally talked about is completely harmless to streaming or recordings as long as no one goes into the first blue.

Yeah, I tweaked my settings to be closer to the D4, I think, or maybe to match the crossover that was being used to the subs or something. Can’t remember. I’ve definitely changed them, though. I didn’t want the mid knob cutting the bass, for instance, cutting the bass knob dropping the warmth of vocals, or cutting the treble to do too much to the rest of the mids. It’s always a kind of tough trade off, though. You also can choose whether you want a true isolator or an EQ… and that iso’s got a nifty bypass when the tone knobs on a channel are all centered. Try it. You’re not gonna hurt anything.

Sound engineer is not clueless - as I mentioned, I worked with many. The one I worm most knows his job. As for the rest, I was asking you specifically not to go in to the sound physics and processing, and once again You can’t help Yourself.

The performance has to sound good - it does, as mentioned before even better on prime then on nexus setup. I know all about imperfections of prime system, but as long as it sounds good, no one will even care. Why You try to teach signal processing and sound physics even when they specifically ask You not to do so???

1 Like
  1. It’s bad advice to tell people to turn the USB out up 10dB without warning them about the implications, and 2) you’re demonstrably wrong about what the metering means and the sound of the NXS2 system.