Removing Tracks from USB

This are all drives IN my PC link to my motherboard’s SATA slots. All I simply to do is setup a "base of operation’ where I prep all my songs be catregory and once done to send it all to the stick. The stick has no issue as it is by default FAT32. But as I can not use the base of operation to reedit and have it UPDATE the stick… so I end up doing all my work, erase or re categorise or put in other crates ALL FROM THE STICK.

I tried the so call update or sync or backup…but it does it back onto the stick. It does not recognize originally where te songs came from in my HDDS.

I just updted the firmware anyway…1.5.1

Then they must be set in the bios or raid-controller as removable. You shouldn’t see internal drives as removable; not in Windows and not in Engine Prime.

Check the computer bios and disable “hot pluggable” or “removable” type of settings per SATA port.

1 Like

I agree. If those drives are inside the PC, they should not be showing as external. Something very wrong.

1 Like

@Sammy does Windows allow you to eject the drives? I’m not saying you should eject them but if they show up as ejectable drives then Engine Prime will not be able to work with them.

I have the same problem with internal drives showing up as external (and removable),The major side effect of this was when I used internal drive for main collection (reported as external by Windows), create a playlist, engine would pack files (thinking it was external) and create duplicate tracks on my main collection drive.

I couldn’t find a fix, apparently it can be caused by a generic windows driver that doesnt play nice with your BIOS settings, even though I have hot swappable drives turned off in BIOS they still show up as so. I have tried everything including reg hacks, different driver installs, even a BIOS update, a BIOS update or correct driver could still fix it, but that depends on how old your motherboard is (mine is old), I gave up in the end and just use 1 external for everything.

1 Like

It does not rejct but it offer that option silly as that sound. One time I click it and it just showed the rotating wait prompt and that kept going till I cut it off by shutting down Prime Engine.

I finally found what I need… ON YOUTUBE… for me the whole fiasco was over someone here commenting he can erase the song from the Stick and when you backup or syn… something to that effect and it WILL Erase the song from my so call ‘base’ WHICH is all I wanted to ensure I do not have a troublsome workflow to do double or triple work. BUT IT CAN’T. That was why I thought i need to ensure that BASE portion is where I setup my songs and use that as the base to deploy my songs to the STICK. So I thought that base HDD HAD TO BE EXFAT or FAT32 to work. That start me on that silly route but then I found nothing that can do that and the few YOUTUEBE vids shows me that you can’t. So sayfor example you want to use the song preview to decide on songs to keep or take out from the STICK, you can erase it from crate or collection BUT YOU STILL need to go into the directory to erase the song proper.

One big round to come back to stage one heh. IF NOT for the special immediate preview of song function on the ENGINE PRIME. .I would not be bring this topic up. When you syn or do backup it does that to the STICK it does nothing OUTSIDE of the STICK. I wish if I did that to the STICK it will automatically clear it from my base where I store the songs.

So that’s it for me. Finally know the things this program can do or not do.

This comment was what confuse me somehow btw: “If you remove a song from the collection (I mean the one on your PC), then you use the SYNC MANAGER, that song will also be removed from the USB stick. Therefore you have to delete the track from the crate in the collection (in the PC), then do the synchronization between the collection and the USB stick. This causes the file to be deleted.”

It implies that anything you delete from the PC base, it does the same the song on the STICK. If I got it right. Well it does not as I found out trying it over and over again while my HDD was still NTSF THUS I want to ( and did) change one of the HDD to EXFAT.

And not I copy the songs over to the STICK so it does not say PACKED. If you drag songs and set of song to the stick then there is a column that indicate PACKED

Using the SYNC MANAGER is what happens. In fact, if in the SYNC MANAGER you de-select a crate, you will see on the right side (ie what will happen to your USB key) that the amount of memory used will become less. After performing the synchronization you will see that the songs that were used ONLY in the deleted crate will be deleted from the USB stick. If you use those tracks in other crates or in some playlists, then the MP3 files will NOT be deleted, of course.

Was this recommended by someone here?

I think it does this if the stick is connected when deleting from main PC collection. They may have changed it.

No it doesn’t have to be except you plan to stick the base HDD into a prime player. Base PC Drive is the default format for the OS ie Windows NTFS, MacOS AFPS. If using an external as Base PC drive - it can be AFPS, HFS, NTFS, ExFAT.

I will stay away from FAT32.

It shouldn’t be used for anything bigger than a 128gb stick with the Denons.

I don’t use FAT32 as it can not accept file size bigger then 4gig.

I know now that it can only on a STICK or a HDD that is an external you plug into the SC5000. The PC is just a means to use the ENGINE PRIME to manage and move your songs to a STICK or EXTERNAL Portable HDD (ExFAT or FAT32)

So much for this adventure heheh… it is still the usual work flow as i first started heheh…

My intention was take a batch of random songs I get, put it in a program to sort thru, preview listen, earse what I don’t need and keep and direct them to the crate of my choice and that’s it. Its becasue of the Instant Preview feature in the Engine Prime that i want to use it. If not for that, I would be organiing all my songs on my PC and then just copy them to the STICK hehehe…

I think it does this if the stick is connected when deleting from main PC collection. They may have changed it.” Nope it does not. I tried. So many different way in case i got it wrong AND that was why i change the HDD from NTFS to ExFAT to see if that was the case. NO GO.

The first time I click to open Engine Prime, it goes right into telling you all the HDDs or attached HDD storage devices are COMPATIBLE or NOT… this alone was a bit misleading thus cause me to go a different direction of understanding how this program worked. Thus…

Anyway… I am settled to what I need to always do or not do. Converting a 8gig HDD from NTFS to ExFAT sure took a damn long time LOL. Now I have to go change it back. good thing I am still in some what lockdown due to COVID19 as the company i work at still can not open. Event management companies are still sucking hard like the rest of entertainment industry and clubs.

In my case it doesn’t work like that. I have 2 crates on PC and the same crates on Prime 2 SSD (copied using sync manager). When I delete song or songs in original crates in PC and use sync manager to sync my crates from PC to Prime 2 deleted songs will remain on Prime 2 SSD. Engine Prime sync only track data (beatgrid, BPM, metadata ect.) and copy new tracks from PC to Prime 2. It doesn’t delete anything on Prime 2 SSD :frowning: So I have to delete crates on Prime 2 and sync them again to get rid of the tracks I remove on PC.

Yes, you are right: if you delete a track from the collection, it disappears from its crate on the PC, but in the remote drive you will always see it in its crate (Packed version). I use the sync manager in a different way than you: I never delete tracks after putting them in a crate, but instead I activate or deactivate the various crates from the sync manager to “load” or not the crates in the remote unit based on what I have need.

In fact, if in sync manager you deactivate a crate, after synchronization you will see that the tracks contained in that crate will be deleted from the remote unit, if the track was contained only in that crate that has been deleted. I mean that the related MP3 file will also be deleted.

It might be easier to do it like this:

1. Delete the tracks you want to delete from the crate in the collection.

2. Open the sync manager and “deselect” the crate from which you have deleted the tracks.

3. Start a sync.

4. When the synchronization is complete, activate the crate you previously deselected, and start the synchronization a second time.

So you get the deletion of the tracks and then the new update. I know that it is not an intuitive method, I know that sync manager does not work as one would think of its operation, but this is what we have. Unless we are all wrong to use it, then it would be better if some Denon DJ guys explained us where we are wrong.

I repeat: for my use, it is also fine as it is. For your use and others, it can cause problems.

Thanks for the tip with deactivation the crate. I will be using this method instead of deleting crates on the unit (which is not deleting tracks on Prime 2 SSD).

@DjAj hey bro i’m facing the same issue, i delete some songs from PC, it remains on the USB, ( not all the time by the way it happens for some track, some remains some removed) - i have to format my USB & re-sync each time to avoid showing the old files on the USB… did you find the solution for this?

Try connecting your USB remote drive to your PC before starting Engine DJ.

Then delete the track from the main collection on your Engine DJ (always keeping the external drive connected to the PC), in this way that track will be deleted from all the playlists in which it is contained.

Next you need to use Sync Manager from the local collection to the remote drive.

ok dear thank you, ill try & let you know, this is the only issue im facing with prime dj, everything else is good, the goods news is i can format & resync each time as my library is only 40 GB which takes 2 hours max if the above failed.