Rating-Stars-Option on Prime 4

why is it not possible to rate the tracks in prime 4? Or did I miss something? at least the evaluation option in my opinion only really makes sense if you can also use it during deejaying, since you can bring in the reaction of the audience …

6 Likes

Yes, this function would be very useful. It seems to me that there is already a request in the specific section.

Try to see and possibly give your vote to make it happen: :heart:

2 Likes

If it offered more than 5 stars, like 10 maybe then I’d vote for it for sure.

1 Like

Well now let’s not exaggerate :crazy_face:: it is already difficult to get the possibility to edit 5 stars (as it is already available in EP), now you ask for 10 stars which would be no longer compatible with EP or other software.

Furthermore (if I remember correctly) also on VDJ the rating is done with 5 stars. @PKtheDJ what do you say about it?

Five stars is standard. It’s perfectly possible to rate something out of five.

2 Likes

Even in my opinion, having 5 stars is more than enough.

2 Likes

It would be easy enough for Denon to make engine prime match however many stars they wanted the engine in the players to work with.

As for matching other software, why should engine prime cramp us all into every track being just either a 1,2,3,4 or 5

There’s more than 5 genres (except for boring DJs lol)

There’s more than 5 BPMs (except for boring DJs lol)

There’s more than 5 music keys (except for… join in when you know the words)

Just because 5 or 6 other “main” DJ software limits us to 5 stars, why should every other software copy the limitation?

The current 5 just reads as “less than 3 stars = rubbish, more than 3 stars = playable”. 3 stars? Listen to it for 30 seconds, look at the crowd… cue it or unload it…

We need a bit more than just that. In 20 years time are we still going to be letting 5 stars, or less decide for us? Of course not, 10 years? 5 years? 2 years ? Why wait even that long?

If the answer to everything was “we’re doing things like this because everyone else does it like this” then we’d not have analysis inside players, we wouldn’t have players with gesture touch screens, we wouldn’t have real audio layers, etc

The stars are there for you to rate the track (same as stars on review sites etc), not tell you what genre it is, or what BPM it is, or what key it is.

You want ten stars. Are there only ten genres then? Or ten BPMs, or ten keys? Your reasoning doesn’t stack up.

The reason for sticking with five stars is compatibility. After you’ve spent ages rating your library, you don’t want to have to do it all again if/when you switch to another product, do you?

If Denon had invented their own audio encoding for these players, that only worked on the Prime series, would you be prepared to change all your music to the new format? If you did, then how would you feel when you came to use that music on another device and it didn’t work?

1 Like

I guess denon engine could have a compatibility mode for stuck in yesteryear software, where every one of denons 10 stars is worth half as many stars when exporting, and every old star is doubled when it’s imported.

“Coz it’s always been like that” is just plain old lazy.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it just does not make sense. There is a standard for a reason. I guess you’re lazy because you did not invent your own audio format/codec? If Denon did a 10-star system then EVERY other DJ software and hardware would have to change their code to make it compatible with Denon’s system. It’s not lazy it’s efficiency and common sense.

I sort of realise the old 5 stars will never be improved.

It just seems so hap-hazard thinking that THIS 3 star tune is as good, or not, as THAT 3 star tune.

Never mind

IMO, having to decide where to commit human resources to improve the product, I would see it better committed to solving the various problems indicated in the specific “bug” section and to add those functions indicated in the “Feature request” section with the greatest amount of :heart: rather than increasing the rating from 5 to 10 stars.

If the technicians were able to give us the opportunity to change the TAGs (therefore also the rating) directly from the display of the P4, it would be a good step forward.

2 Likes

Well that’s fine

There are certainly some things that need more urgent attention.

It’s questionable how useful any number of stars is anyway. If we know all the tunes on our hard drives then we should be able to decide without a number between 1 and anything, whether to play a song. If we know the song in our collection, we should be able to see and read the title and artist and Sort of hear the song in our heads anyway, without a number telling us.

Plus, Is anyone trying to give their audience only a 4 out of 5 night?

The more stars, the better, if we’re going to use it at all (and I wonder how many people really do use it? 10 on this thread? 5 would be ironic :-).

How about a thermometer that didn’t tell you it’s 6 degrees or 20 degrees, 22 degrees or 25 degrees or 35 degrees; it just said cold, warm, hot. The more points on the scale the better, but I don’t know if the feature is used all that much, or even if it would be used any more frequently if changed up.

@DJ_Didi make a request to put even a comet star while you’re there, it could be useful. :slight_smile:

Aside from the jokes, the only useful thing in my opinion, and that I had made as a request long ago, is precisely to add or remove stars directly from the P4, so it would make much more sense, you do it live while the sounds.

In fact, that’s what I wrote at the beginning of the thread: I remembered that this option had already been requested, and you gave me confirmation. This is the post: Link

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.