Quick Tip on Analyzing on the Prime 4

For those that need to have songs analyzed on the unit itself.

Many of us only use the two decks Left(1) and Right (2), leaving 3 and 4 available for other uses.

one thing I have found is that when I need to analyze several songs in a crate to generate their wave forms and grid is to utilize the unused decks just for analyzing.

For example:

I generally scratch using the right deck only, while having my main song playing on the left deck, I also use Hamster style on the fader. For those unaware, it just reverses the cross fader.

process is as follows.

1. Start initial song onto left deck
  2. Find next song and cue it up on the right deck. even if the song is not Analyzed, I generally have the BPM and Key in the File name to give me an idea of what is should be. I load song on 'right deck and it analyzes within about 10 seconds.
  3. I scratch in, or just mix in the right deck with left and move crossfader to only playing the Right deck.
  4. I then “Double Click” the load button on the left deck to do an “Instant Double” of the song playing on Right deck and move crossfader back to let my Left deck continue playing my main song. The left deck is always my main deck, while the Right deck serves as my Cueing, analyzing and scratch deck.

Now here’s the tip: I sometimes have a crate full of songs I didn’t analyze in Denon Engine ahead of time. Knowing the general order I play them in, I Pre-load songs onto the empty decks 3 and 4 to let them analyze ahead of time.

My experience is that when I load songs onto empty decks at the same time, the will Analyze at the same time. This bypasses having to wait to analyze songs one by one, or as I come to them.

As I analyze two of the songs ahead of time, when they complete, I load two more songs onto 3 and 4 to let them analyze. I do this while my main song is playing and my Cue song is ready on deck 2 to bring in.

A little convoluted I know but this works very well for me.

Kudos to the powerful processor in the Prime 4, allowing simultaneous analysis of the songs on different decks.

2 Likes

Great tip @prod, thanks for posting! If you need to analyze tracks on the fly that’s a good way to do it, as you said though, this is a better solution for 2 Deck users.

I want to make a topic about this, but it’s a cool workaround for now! My big suggestion to make the onboard analysis better would be to permit you do this;

say a new DJ came and doesn’t have his PL analyzed because he comes form PIO or whatever, if tracks 3 or 4 are not being used, to let you have an analyze function for entire folders of a USB or external media. I mean, if the computer has enough power to analyze tracks on the fly woudl be cool to save time while your mixing. If the CPU is doing a hard process it coudl even throttle the analyzation until it’s in less use. Not sure how riskey this would be but I’m sure they could alocate some processing power if the user can decide how this is done, say like in your case, are only using 2 tracks!

Let me know guys if this is crazy but I think it would be yet another amazing thing this series could do that we won’t see in other “competitive” players :DD

Cheers!

2 Likes