Prime4 sends info to google analytics

FYI I am using pi-hole that blocks certain trackers and I’ve noticed PRIME4 sends information to google analytics and there is no way to opt out.

I feel that there should be option to opt out of that. Not cool.

1 Like

I think that relates to some or all of the streaming services.

FWIW, I don’t believe that there is a Big Data opt-out in this world anymore, but one can surely hope.

@Reese Yeah, but we need to be pushing and rising these issues to everyone’s attention, if we stay quiet it will be more prevalent

6 Likes

Maybe you can set your router’s firewall to restrict your Prime 4 (recognizable by its MAC Addr) from being able to connect only to Tidal’s servers or your streaming provider. Otherwise if you are not using streaming you can turn off the WIFI inside the P4 and you are good to go.

I would like to know exactly what information is sent and to who. This should be documented.

@0ddw0rld Exactly this for sure violates GDPR privacy. On top of that this data maybe shared further with third parties for remarking / retargeting purposes and there is no way for us to know which data is being shared and with whom.

I’ve checked the license Legal - SC5000 Prime and it states that:

10. CONSENT TO USE OF DATA. inMusic may collect and use technical information about the software and the hardware devices you use in connection with the software in a manner that does not personally identify you. inMusic may use this information to improve our products or to provide customized services or technologies. inMusic may also disclose this information to third parties so that they may improve the way their products or services interact with the software.

@DjAj Not sure if you understood well but I already block this

No it doesn’t, you just haven’t looked.

https://www.denondj.com/privacy-policy

GDPR is one of the most misunderstood pieces of consumer legislation.

1 Like

You are right I could be wrong with my GDPR assessment, but as a consumer my understanding was that I should be asked for permission before I am being tracked, and should have option to opt out – again, correct me if I am wrong. Hence I’ve looked into the license.

After a quick look into privacy policy I would say there is a lot of talk how to opt-out of google analytics using browser cookies / extensions etc, when using their website, but it does not seem possible to do on the hardware level.

Also as per link, basically Denon collects everything they can at all times, because it is considered “relevant” to track “popularity” to create “competitive products”.

Simple question “Care to share anonymous usage data?” would change the narrative and be user friendly.

With streaming on standalone devices Denon DJ basically did what was Pioneers wet dream (Kuvo boxes): collecting analytics about tracks played in order to prepare the field for later royalties collection services.