Pressing Play = Nothing Prime 4

The Problem

After returning to the unit after a few weeks. I tried to play a track from the SD card. Pressing play did nothing. The track wasn’t moving, the platter didn’t show anything was playing and there’s no sound. Yet, the play button is lit like it’s playing and if you try to load another track into the same deck. It tells you to pause the track so another can be loaded. Uh what?

Checked to see if there was a firmware update, there was to 2.1.1. I had been on 2.1.0 with no issues. After the update via the web. The problem still exists. The update area also still indicates that there’s an update to 2.1.1, even though it’s currently running 2.1.1.

What’s been done?

• Unplugged for up to 20 minutes (several times)
  • Firmware 2.1.0 reinstalled (usb)
  • Firmware 2.1.1 installed and reinstalled (web+usb)
  • Air blown around platters
  • Tracks loaded on different decks (same issue on all)
  • All user settings reset
  • Platters Calibrated
  • USB formatted to ext instead of Fat32 (Fat32 wouldn’t even be recognized)
  • Beatport Link (track will download, same issue)
  • All manual controls have been checked and verified

So, where do I go from here?

Hello @tmoura Welcome to the forum.

First check if this happens with Vinyl mode on and off. Run a test - do exactly the same but switch OFF the vinyl mode and observe what will happen.

Conclusions of this test: If tracks starts playing after vinyl mode set to off - probably Your jog wheel registers touch. So as You would virtually hold Your hand on the jog and stop the track by this. This could be the grounding issue or some static electrical fields near by - plasma ball or magnetically unshielded speakers can cause this. Check if it happens when You play your device in different room - maybe bad grounding in the power socket - jog wheels need solid grounding to work properly.

If tracks still don’t play - software issue. Reinstall the software and check again if that can help.

Make these tests, please and let me know if anything helped. Good luck :wink:

It would be a good thing to finally stop saying it’s a grounding issue or because of vinyl on/off positoon. We are many users to have this problem and all the tests prove that it’s a bug due to 2. 1 update. I also have this problem, and I can’t use my Prime4 to work anymore. And still no fix provided.

But this is related. First we want to rule out any possibilities. And we all know, there are many aspects, that can cause this. You need to understand how this actually works. Software is the last thing to check. I mentioned the software re-installation as well.

1 Like

I have already done all possible and imaginable tests. My P4 was working perfectly on 1.6 BEFORE I tried the 2.1 firmware. BEFORE, I never had a jog issue, ground issue, file issue and when I pressed play, the track started as it should. A Denon staff member told me to DM him and so what ? I’m going to tell him exactly what I’m saying here, and there will be no solution until a firmware update fixes the problem. In the meantime, I can no longer use my Prime to work in the evenings, I’m too afraid that this major problem will occur in the middle of an event. As a service provider, I claim zero defects for my clients. Denon does not seem to do the same for its own, taking its customers for testers who come up month after month with obvious control problems before placing on the market. I paid 1800 euros for a device of dubious reliability which only worked for 4 months. I no longer have any confidence in this material, and when we do our job, it’s the worst thing that can happen in the evening. I’m not the only one, there are also facebook groups where this problem comes up constantly since the 2.1 update was released. It can’t be a coincidence, nor a sudden outbreak of jog or grounding issue. It’s nice to want to help us, but the problem is obviously elsewhere. Denon must admit it and act accordingly.

Your complain here is not helping anybody. Not me to help the other user, or even the user himself. Please don’t use other users posts to just complain about Your own experience. This does not bring anything to benefit anybody. I would consider every case of issue as individual, to the point we rule out all possible options. Then we can talk about defects embedded in the software or hardware.

For example I and many other users have no issues with the latest software release.

3 Likes

Strange that the ExFat format is not or will not be recognized ??? What brand / exact reference is your SD card?

Don’t speak too fast. I use other post just to say and proove that many users have the same problem. Even Ethan Leo encountered problems !

2 Likes

Around me there are 5 users that this P4 or PGO and none have had any problems with Play. On the other hand… there are some who have a problem with the P2 Otherwise, there is just the X-Fader function which disappeared between 2.1 and 2.1.1

The problem is still there even with vinyl turned off.

Fat32 wasn’t being recognized. Had to reformat the usb to ExFat.

Ok… it was the other way around! But normally we just format everything in Fat32 (old standard) so it’s strange anyway ??? What is the brand of your SD card (Kingston, Sandisk, Transcend…)?

Everything is fine from the SD card and USB. It won’t even play if it’s Beatport Link.

Well, now I’m confused…

can you please check this, too ?

Disable 4 deck mode with “Shift+Deck3” or “Shift+Deck4”

Reboot your player with disabled deck 3+4

After that load a track to deck 1 or 2 … press play.

when this works

turn on deck 3+4 mode again with “Shift+Deck3” or “Shift+Deck4”.

I had a bug in beta, where my play button also failed, this recovered the function. Don´t know if this will work on your player, too, but it´s a try.

Same, no change.