Playlists don't seem to sync back from device

So I’m relatively new to the Denon DJ ecosystem and library management seems to be the area where I’ve had to do the most learning so far. At first I was pulling my hair out when trying to figure out why I was getting duplicates etc, but once I figured out how the distributed DB works and switched to keeping my entire music collection on my external drive things seem to be working well.

But I’m running into a weird issue, not sure if it’s a bug.

I have a workflow where I use my laptop to quickly preview some tracks and then pull them into crates and playlists, since the tracks are all on the my USB drive the only thing to sync are the details of these crates & playlists themselves.

Then, on the Prime Go I add cue points and make any changes needed to my playlist. For example I added an extra track to the playlist when practicing to make the mix flow better.

But when coming back to the laptop I found that Sync Manager says “no details to sync” weirdly enough the cue points showed up, but the extra track is not there… Am I doing this wrong? Feels like this is exactly what moving to / from the devices should allow me to do - especially when both should be referencing the same DB files on the USB.

If you read the Engine Prime manual, you will see (page 27) that only metadata is synced back from the device to Engine Prime.

Yes, Sync Manager really is that bad!

Forget Sync Manager. Drag and drop instead.

1 Like

Wait a minute

Is this the drive you plugged into the GO?

ie same drive goes back and forth between laptop and Go, then sync manager is right by saying there is nothing to sync. The database is the same.

1 Like

Ah! You’re totally right - that means there’s never anything to sync.

However for some reason the Go and Engine on Mac seem to have the playlists in different states. 12 songs on the Go (I added a song while practicing) and 11 on the Mac. Same Drive & DB… weird

1. How did you get the tracks and playlists into the external drive in the first place?

Possible workaround

1. Disconnect drive from Mac
  2. In Mac music folder, rename the Engine Folder to something else (you can also zip it and delete the original folder)
  3. connect drive to GO, make crates or playlist changes
  4. connect drive to Mac
  5. Start Engine Prime
  6. Check main collection playlist/crate
  7. Check Devices tab and the playlists
  8. What happens?

See here.

https://community.enginedj.com/t/incorrect-drive-info-for-playlists-on-engine-prime-1-5-1/27150

Something’s not right.

Could be a nuked Database on the internal mac drive.

I have experienced the same. Added que points on the devices sd card + edited my playlists and when plugged to pc there was nothing to sync between the playlists on the pc and sdxc card.

You cant sync back playlists currently, but you can sync back hot cues, loops created when gigging assuming you exported to said SD with EP in the first place

2 Likes

Thanks for feedback. At the beginning the source EP and SD were same. Modified just the track order and removed some track on the device and it was really disappointing that this simple information could not be synced back to EP. Now the SD Card is the Playlist-Master and not sure how to secure this. Track collection is on EP and SD but adding tracks manually… First drag&drop goes to EP then from here to SD.

Ah that explains it, thank you - I was confused as Crates, Cues, Loops etc do seem to sync so it was non-obvious that Playlists didn’t and that tripped me up.

1 Like

I did say five days ago (reply #1) that only metadata gets synced, and that it’s in the manual. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Touché @PKtheDJ :upside_down_face:

Maybe one day (probably years from now) Denon will give the Sync Manager the ability to sync and to manage. :smile:

2 Likes

Haha :wink: I really believe they will act faster like repeated by the Denon representatives so many times on YT in their promo tests and unboxing materials: “We are really listening…We are working on…” I’m in love with my Prime Go using it for drum&bass sets → actually streams only :wink: Few months passed since I bought the GO and when I see how slow the software/firmware is being update I’m just rolling back to year 2007 when I’ve changed my Denon setup: 2x DN-S3500 & DN-X1500 to Pioneer DDJX + Serato, I was so amazed how fast Serato was updating their software! In October 2020 I almost took the biggest Denon alone-standing Bad Boy, but before spending doubled money just considered to see how is Denon now…and what has changed after so many years being with Pioneer. I’m still hoping that a lot good things will surprise us :wink: GO is a really neat device if you don’t take the cross-fader to seriously. An instant option to get an upgrade or better one should be offered. Open both playing faders and go to one side with the cross-fader and just gently press/tap forward or backwards (without sliding left or right) and you will hear the opposite channel “coming through”. This should not happen on this “Prime” level - it’s Denon! not a bedroom Reloop build in 2002 :wink:

Ps. Here my last goodbye Pioneer drum&bass stream:

Hoping to use here a stable 1.7 Prime next time :wink:

All the best to ALL in 2021! :wink:

Haha, we haven’t even had 1.6 yet. :rofl:

1 Like