Over-the-air update already works with 1.6.0?

Out of pure interest… maybe someone can enlighten me.

I have two SC6000M. Both had OS version 1.6.0.

The first device told me “There is an update to 1.6.1”. After that I could put the device in update mode as usual and update via USB cable. So far so good.

After that I started the second device (the first device was already switched off again at this time). The second device also told me: “There is an update to 1.6.1.” But now comes the big mystery: the second device suddenly offered me the update directly via internet (although it was still on version 1.6.0 at that time!). In fact, this also worked and I could update the device directly online to 1.6.1.

So now my question: why did the two devices behave differently and why was the second device already with version 1.6.0 able to get the “over the air” update - which should actually come only with version 1.6.1?! :flushed:

OTA updates generally happen via rollout batches on other devices, probably the same thing happening here.

1 Like

Pure coincidence. 1.6.0 already had the OTA update option, but the backend infrastructure wasn’t even available directly after 1.6.1 release.

Like @JonnyXDA stated, could be batches or a load balancing cue.

Wow, I should be a gambler. :joy:

2 Likes

OTA updates are now online. The hooks were in 1.6.0 and 1.6.1 is the first version that the device can be updated to via OTA. When connected to the internet, you will receive a notification to inform you that a new update is available. If you choose the update option from this notification, you will be able to tap ‘Web’ from the update confirmation dialog. The device will then download and install the update.

5 Likes

Yep! Just updated OTA from 1.6 to 1.6.1 on my Prime Go

Same here 1.6 to 1.6.1 ota. Made me very happy. No need for a 3rd party peripheral to update. Along with TVs, Phones, PlayStations, PC’s, laptops, tablets etc all do this. Thumbs up from me.

Hello! How long time did it take for you to download OTA with your Prime ? ( i have the prime 4, and around 17 Mbit per second right now, still " downloading"…)

I tried using the web download earlier, and it was very quick - but I’m on 65Mb/s.

I have the 1.6.0 and just pushed update after i turned on my device , something more to do or just wait? :wink:

There is no “update” to push.

The choices are “check for updates” next to Firmware Version (this is what you need to click) and “reboot” next to Update Firmware at the bottom of the menu (don’t use this).

I had to “switch off and on” and after this more options appeard :smile: Everything just works fine now! Thanx!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.