No longer able to have my master library on HFS+ Disk

So the problem is bigger than this - I have a 1TB library on an external HFS+ drive. I copied it over to an exFAT drive and it wouldn’t work! The drive just caved because the file system couldn’t cope. Drive works fine with the files as HFS+, but as exFAT with the same files, it can’t even read or write, which isn’t surprising, so to me this is a huge bug!

It’s NOT a bug…it’s a “feature”

Perhaps I should have posted these rants in this thread, rather than within the Feature Request thread…maybe if this were posted in here it would have gotten someone from the Dev Team or Management’s attention.

As much as I LOVE my SC6000s, Denon forced my hand, and I have ordered a pair of 3000s. Obviously, I am praying that Denon come to their senses. I’m gonna’ hold onto my SC6000s in hopes that they do. The Prime range truly has the potential to dominate if Denon can just get the software side of things nailed down. The hardware is already there.

1 Like

@blackavenger “feature” my ass :slight_smile: - NTFS, HFS+ etc are listed as supported in the manual for the Desktop software. The biggest problem is I’ve tried both Fat32 and exFAT and the drive won’t work with my library when formatted that way - the performance hit makes it unusable.

My guess is they’ve updated the core library which is shared across all products and done it in a daft way.

I love my Prime Go as a fun device to take out, but my music library is stored on an external drive as my laptop doesn’t have enough built in storage. I need to sync from external music source, to USB stick I can plug into Prime Go - I used to be able to do this, but recent updates have made this impossible.

Obviously if they’ve dropped native support on the hardware devices for formats other than Fat32 and exFAT, that’s slightly different and users will run into the same problems with the filesystem being unusable with large drives.

Yeah, I have a dual boot Windows 11/MacOS Catalina SFF (small form factor) PC. I have no choice but to keep my Collection Library on external drives. Like I said in the rant, the APFS drive was the first to stop working, but once I updated to 2.1 the NTFS drive stopped as well. Now, I am forced to use Rekordbox for preparation, and then use Denon Conversion Utility to convert the XML for use with the SC6000. Sooo unnecessarily convoluted!! That’s why I figured if I am going to be using Rekordbox anyway, I may as well just go back to CDJs. Three steps forward, two steps back. Ughh, so frustrating!

Come on, Denon…don’t do us like this!!

Hi Everyone,

Apologies for the troubles this change may have caused. The team is currently looking into restoring this functionality in a future update, and we will let you know once it is available. As always, we appreciate your feedback and support.

1 Like

AMEN!!! I’m sooooo glad Y’all have come to your senses on this matter. I ordered CDJs because of this change. I’m gonna’ keep the CDJ order, but at least now I can rest assured that all will be restored to normal, and I can remain within the Denon ecosystem as well. I didn’t want to leave.

Hi all, I have a workaround for this while Engine DJ gets FIXED ←

So, you have all your music on an external USB drive formatted APFS or HFS etc.

The process here works 100% but it WILL duplicated the music you add, thus you’ll need the space. No its not pretty… but once you get the idea… you can adapt as required… Can’t upload a pic as I’m new… bless…

The value for storage in MB / GB …you know how much music you have and you know how much you’d like to use at this point in time ( I’m just using a subset to get me by).

1. Open Disk Utility

2. File - New - Blank Image

3. Save As: ENGINE.dmg ← don’t use long name as you can’t in FAT32

4. Where: Your External USB drive - Root of drive or folder… up to you

5. Name: ENGINE ← don’t use long name as you can’t in FAT32

6. Size: for GB use: GB for MB use: MB

7. Format: MS-DOS (FAT)

8. Encyption: None

9. Partions: Single partition - Master Boot Record Partition Map

10. read/write disk image

Click SAVE

This will create and mount the disk on your desktop.

Copy your music onto this disk, yes you’re copying the music from the USB drive to the USB drive…

Open EngineDJ and drag the mounted ‘ENGINE’ Drive over to make a new playlist.

Yes this will need to be scanned.

You can now playback from that drive, use it as you would any other source.

NOTE:

Treat this as any other removable storage. Eject when finished and remember to mount it before you start Engine.

If you want you can add the DMG to you Login Items in User and Groups so it will mount when you login or restart.

If your backing up this disk (and you should be) make sure DMG files are not excluded from backup.

Yes, it’s a massive FUDGE, but it works and it maybe useful.

As and when this gets fixed… it might be a problem replicating the database back to the Apple formatted disk… the database files are SQLite, so not impossible… but this is temporary fix…

:sunglasses:

engineworkaround

I can upload a picture… woohoo!