New pioneer xdj rx3

I’ve been thinking a lot on fact that Pioneer have invested a lot of money into Rekordbox. As management and performance software with different plans to open up functions. They built there eco-system around it and therefore it’s hard for them to ditch it and go another way. And when you work with hardware it’s buttons, menues and lot too learn before you can operate them easy. You need a degree maybe? and therefore they appeal of those who think that they are “more” than others. But with that said, there are good things in their stuff to. Maybe better FX? Some things in their software and hardware that is worth and I for sure know that Denon staff looking into it that can add to Engine in the future. Well this is my thoughts and this “fan” thing of trashing the other brand is stupid. See what they do better, learn and develop your own product. They overprice because they can, the X3 is flying of the shelf, the fans are fanatic. Personally I think Denons products is more future proof, more value for your buck and suits my needs more. I don’t like Pioneers obsession of computers, you need one to play on their standalone units. This is from a company that told me many years ago that computers is not for the DJ-booth. Yeah right!?

All of the RX3’s are preorder only with inventory arriving in Late December. So less flying off the shelves and more sitting in a container or warehouse somewhere.

The device looks really cool. All through its strange they still going for that old touchscreen. It’s also kinda strange Pioneer didn’t implement streaming in their devices services yet. Especially the new generation DJ’s won’t really care about building up collections. They are used to have everything available via subscription (like spotify, netfix). I think we will start to see a shift in the market towards Engine OS devices if Pioneer will not adapt fast, and this would be great for us as consumers.

1 Like

“Competition” is better for consumers

3 Likes

Oh I didn’t actually realise that, I thought it had been there from day one

Yeah, it blew a lot of peoples minds when it was announced as the SC5000 was well into its product cycle. Some people already knew it was there as looking up the internals revealed some unused functionality. It was just assumed it was part of the board and came as a whole unit.

There is also Bluetooth hiding inside these units so maybe one day we’ll get keyboard/MIDI support over Bluetooth but that’s a whole new topic.

3 Likes

Its not actually something I personally have much use for as im old skool and like to own my music (plus Im running Engine, Serato and RB simultaneously) but I love the fact they offer it as millions of people pay into streaming plans.

Ive watched loads of reviews of this new Pioneer Unit and aside from from a couple of features I just cant see how it touches the Prime 2, without even talking about the money.

2 Likes

Maybe you want to vote at this feature request? https://community.enginedj.com/t/prime-go-remember-the-parameter-settings-for-each-individual-effect/37007

1 Like

Of course I already did

Unfortunately, only a few vote for PrimeGo features, which is probably due to the fact that of course not as many devices were sold as Prime4 or Prime 2

I hope we will be heard anyway

2 Likes

Yeah! Serato support is what has long been demanded for the P2. Same for additional Sweep EFX next to the boring standard filter.

I don’t get why Denon had to castrate their Prime 2 that much. Even if I don’t need 4 channels, I have to buy the bulky Prime 4 just to get these features + external Inputs. The RX3 has proper effects (which are also easier to access), external Inputs and gets Serato DJ support next year. Also, it looks nicer and more mature.

Yet, the RX3 lacks too many features for me. Next to proper multitouch and streaming/wifi even essential stuff like a SD-slot, dedicated beat jump buttons, full track buffering, key sync or Ableton/Midi. Also, not having a dual-view waveforms + library s*cks, I hate to constantly jump between two screens during each track selection. Prime Go/2/4 thankfully shine here.

1 Like

What’s the price of the RX3 ? And your local price on the Prime2 ?

1 Like

And the (overcharged) price of the RX3 doesn’t allow me to compare these units? Btw, in Europe the price for the Prime 2 went up to 1400-1500€. The RX2 is 2000€ including the typical Pioneer tax. Considering this, they are pretty similar. Both of them are 2ch AiOs. And while the Prime 2 has many great advantages, I have every right to list drawbacks as well, especially those which had been unnecessary design choices compared to the Prime 4. For me, these are a) lack of proper inputs b) no Sweep FX and c) no Serato DJ Support.

a) can’t be fixed, but b) and c) certainly can, thanks to software. The market is all about competition, hence I would welcome those. The according request threads do exist. For everyone interested: Here and here. Unfortunately, archived because of the new voting system…

P.S. I would never buy a RX2 or RX3. :wink: Cheers!

1 Like

I have to agree with Venom on this. As they are both units with the same goal, it is perfectly fair to compare them regardless of price.

Currently, the RX3 sits below the normal pricing standard for pioneer units with added features too. Even tho it is 2ay more than I believe it is worth.

1 Like

Btw, in use the Denon Prime 2 is a dream…I’ve had mine a couple of months and it did it’s first gig a couple of weeks back, absolutely loved it. Coming from a DDJ-SX2 and Serato, it was just brilliant as a compact 2 channel standalone. The screen resolution is amazing and clear and I’m loving the internal SSD.

This is from someone who owns the ultimate home setup of 1210s and a Rotary mixer, plays on a Nexus 2 setup at my regular venue and has used countless different bits of gear over the years. The Prime 2 is a beast, it makes me smile using it.

4 Likes

Pioneer actually did a good job with this unit. It has good connections for other gear, good fx and good performance pad functions. They didn’t omit much of the things they usually do this time around but still managed to leave out key changing, Ethernet port and aux cue for headphones. It’ll probably be one of their best sellers though.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see users of the pioneer unit have a denon sc deck attached to it.

3 Likes

Indeed, it’s just not how Pioneer operates; their approach is slow and steady with a mostly fixed feature set from launch. That’s why they often release a MK1, 2, & 3, just to add new features.

It’s not a simple case of adding wifi either. Streaming, WIFi and onboard analysis are interrelated features that need to be released together, so it’s a major hardware and software upgrade.

I’m pretty sure we’ll see more features added to the CDJ-3000 than on its predecessors. Also, hardware (cpu) in it seems to have been designed with future additions in mind.

Yes, they have made a small step towards a more flexible platform, but a lot of stuff is fixed because of the physical layout, and they won’t dare change anything that might upset big name DJ’s who just want familiarity. I would not bet on anything beyond minor UI refinements and maybe a new feature or two.

They might release a new XD-J that is more forward-looking and flexible, but I would not buy a CD-J 3000 with the expectation it will improve much beyond the current offering.

1 Like

I think that the big name djs are less of a issue, as a majority of other users, that would buy the devices in large quantity - from bed room djs up to working pros and rental companies. Big name djs will have in the rider what ever they feel ok, or what ever they are paid for. Many djs adapt if they want, or sign a contract and have benefits from asking for specific gear. I am in a booking agency, I know how this things work…

Regardless of who they are targeting they took zero risks with the CD-J 3000 and put a crazy price tag on them. The whole range of Pioneer gear just got a price hike to make things even worse.

I could have bought CDJ 3000’s over my SC6000’s but it almost feels like Pioneer are giving a middle finger to their fan base right now - “We can do what we want and charge anything”. Obviously that’s not their intention, but that’s how it looks and it’s pretty sad.

The RDX 3 looks to be another incremental improvement with a big price tag. :man_shrugging: