New Machine? RMX?

That would require a new mixer again. A stand alone sampler that can be in Denon eco-system has more sense technically and marketing-wise.

1 Like

It is possible with both of Denon’s current mixers. Unless you are saying that YOU would need a new mixer.

It would be less costly and more profitable for Denon to piggy back off of an existing product with an open API (Ableton Link) then to develop their own communication protocol and release a piece of kit which will only be compatible with Denon players. I only know about 5 people who own a DJS1000. There are literally monthly gatherings in every major city of people who own MPC’s that are Ableton Link compatible. Akai being a sister company to Denon under the InMusic umbrella, there is no reason for them to create something that already exists and sells fantastically well. MPC’s have also been incorporated into DJ sets since before Pioneer Link was a thing by manually beatmatching in (the same way I did with my Korg Sampler when I was using a sampler as part of my setup while deejaying on vinyl). The need to have some sort of Product specific protocol for your playing capability just seems a bit posh in the long run.

I think the Akai MPC One is the sampler we have all been waiting for - OK, so its not a Denon unit, and doesnt look the same as the SC5000’s, but its got the same screen, the pads look similar, and it can use Link via Ethernet.

Think thats where I am going to go, as I think it extremely unlikely that Denon will release anything like this,

That’s a good conclusion. I don’t think denon will ever make something that could affect one of the other in-music brands products sales.

Only missing item here is full collaboration over the LINK. MPC One should then be able to get tempo and beat grid info, should be able to get samples out of loops of the decks, be able to send tempo to the mixer or be a master for Denon decks if used in SYNC. Quantize perfectly with beat grid via link. So if they will do it with software, I am buying the MPC ONE - NOW!

4 Likes

I fully endorse the opening of Engine Prime and Link protocols to other brandings.

Do you mean sometimes doesn’t or never gets BPM and beatgrids correct?

+1 here

Also for this to be done over usb too

Not by usb - via LINK (LAN)

What’s wrong with wanting it over USB also?

Bottleneck for data, and LINK is already running over LAN, so why to “kick open door”?

USB only has to send beatgrid data via midi. This would be good also

Not logical… Not in the prime eco system…

They are USB 3 ports… rather difficult to bottleneck on small amounts of data transfer

Am I correct in saying that the Akai Force “talks” to the Denon gear via Link?

Akai MPC One has only USB 2.0

Still 450MB/s combined over USB 2.0. There is nothing you would need a faster connection for. Also, utilizing both USB and Ethernet, again, opens up the ability to sync the units to hardware outside of the Denon ecosystem. Gotta stop thinking about your own personal aspirations here.

To set the record straight: it’s 450Mbit, so about 56MB/s. :innocent:

Unfortunately not, I own a recently purchased Akai Force and it only talks to Denon gear via midi, not via link. Akai force can be syncronized via Ableton Link, but not with Denon protocol. I hope this gets implemented soon.

1 Like

Can you pls tell me how you connect your system together?