Microphones Distort Horribly

I have two Shure Wireless Microphones. One is set to the low impedance level. Both sound horrible and distorted. I cannot go past 1/2 on the microphone levels. If I do, horrible feedback kicks in.

I tried a wired microphone and while not as bad, I cannot go past 3 as the same horrible feedback kicks in.

Please help!

There seems to be two distinctly different things happening here.

Firstly the incoming signal level from the radio mix receivers to the MCX. Low impedance mean A low amount of hinderence meaning big volumes. If I were to impede you on the street, I would be reducing your speed - if I impede you just a bit (low) then I wouldn’t be slowing you down much. Try setting the mic to high impedance.

Also most radio mic receivers have a selector or “volume control” on the receiver to precisely attenuate/reduce the level of signal leaving the mic receiver, going out to the MCX.

The other issue of feedback (high pitched squeals) is where too much of the mic signal is being picked up by the mic again as the mic sound leaves the speakers. To combat this try keeping the mic away from the speakers, or move the speakers further away, or angle the speakers outward slightly (away from the mic) , set the speakers up slightly in front of the imaginary line you’d be standing on , rather than having the speakers behind you - all this is to reduce how much of the Mics own output makes it back into the mic

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

I literally unplugged these mics from my Pioneer DDJ-SX and into the Denon. They work find on the Pioneer, which is known to have microphone issues. Ironic, huh?

The first issue is that if the Shure microphone setting at a higher volume, the mic is even more distorted.

The second issue is that I am testing this in my garage, with one EV ZLX15 way off to the side. The feedback is because the Denon is throwing out a way too high signal. Remember, the volume control is barely at 1. If I pass it by a millimeter, the feedback screams.

These are not the problem. Thank you anyway.

Also, I must apologize for using the word “Impedance”.

I meant to say regular 0dB gain and low gain of -10dB,

I have the mics set at -10dB already. At 0dB, the distortion is even worse.

On the radio mic receivers are there any adjustment options for the output level? Sometimes these are nothing more but a tiny hole which you may need to insert a very small screwdriver into, in order to adjust. However check the mic manual before putting screwdrivers in anything, of course.

It just sounds as if the mic receivers are outputting a very high signal, when the MCX8000 only requires a low/med incoming mic signal.

Can you post the model of your microphones, please?

I’ve already used MCX with various brands of wireless mics (including Shure) and never had a big problem. Sometimes you need to gain stage them properly (starting with the output from the mic receiver, then the volume from the mic input),.

So not sure what goes wrong here,

Since I wanted a bit more flexibility, I bought a small PA mixer (Yamaha AG03) and run my mic through that, With a built in pad, gain AND channel fader this gives a much broader option for inputs.

Which microphone would you choose in combination with this controller.

wireless or cable.

Volume controle possible ?

Hennie

Ultimately the best microphone is the one that meets the needs of your performances. What’s your typical type of gig?

Do you need a mic for just you? In that case I’d go with cabled and dynamic. No need to use condenser mics for DJ speech. Personally I think the Shure SM58 is the worst out there, but that is just me. I use an old and very trusted AKG D321, dating back to my pro residency years (talking mid 80’s here LOL). Reason I picked it because it pretty much has the right characteristic for my voice without too much EQ needed. I usually do a bit of low-off EQ but that is it.

If you need a mic for third parties, like mobile DJs doing weddings and corporate stuff with speeches and such, then a wireless mic would be your best choice. Be aware that in this category specifically you “get what you pay for”. So get a good setup from a reputable brand. Rather get the entry model from a good brand than the high end model of a budget brand if the prices are in the same range. Again, dynamic mics are fine. Be sure to get a windcover (one of those foam “balloons”). Not only does it help diminish some of the noises people make (like breathing loudly LOL), but it also keeps lots of stuff out of your microphone (not everyone has dry speech so to speak). Easier and cheaper to clean/replace the cover than the mic, right.

If you have musicians/singers to work with then the story becomes different yet again and you might start considering adding a small PA mixer to your setup and run their mic(s) through that, giving you some extra options to manipulate the sound.

Just my two cents.

1 Like

For me the best DJ Mic is the Senheiser E835 S.

Rocksolid. low Feedback. great Sound. and i NEED to have a Switch to instantly turn it off without to touch the controller.

A DJ Mic without Switch is not an Option for me.

Hello DJ Vintage,

I need this mic only for me, sometimes some people want to say something to there family for example.

Work this mic AKG well with the MXC 8000. ?

Maybe are here people how using a wireless mic, which brand do you use with this controller and is this system adjustable.

Hennie

The AKG works perfectly with the MCX8000, but I doubt you can find one anymore. Haven’t been sold since the 90s anymore. Just wanted to make the point that picking a microphone is personal and if you have a chance you should try some out in a store.

Ask 20 DJs and they will all have their favorite.

Some brands to look at are Shure (but the beta 58a not the SM58), Rode (M1 has great price/performance ratio) and all the other usual prospects like Sennheiser, AKG, Audix, Audio Technica, Electro-Voice.

Hope that helps some.

1 Like

I’ll agree having an on/off switch can be a blessing. Tip for everyone that is considering a mic with a switch: make sure the switch is a magnetic one, not a regular switch. The latter can become really untrustworthy, are more susceptible to dust and when they do get worse they will start making scratchy noises. Also they will make switching noises easier than magnetic switch.

With a magnetic switch, the actual switch sits inside the microphone and the thing you slide from on to off and vice versa holds a little magnet and is entirely on the outside of the microphone. There is NO hole through the microphone casing for dust to crawl in.

Just my two cents.

1 Like

The Shure BLX24/PG58 S8 system works fine for me right now. I also combine the microphone with 2 stable stands (straight with a heavy plat on the bottom), a long one for free stages and a short one for the desk/lectern. You can use this very easy for some kind of interviewing-sections, speaches, presentations, spontaneous singing and karaoke.

Beside this, I think you should also use a wired table microphone at your decks. Actually I don’t know which one I would use. It would also be fine, if I can also use this for broadcasting-purposes. Something like the TIE AUDIO FLEXIBLE MIC STAND PRO for installation would be fine. To find a stable solution is also a little bit tricky for me…

Beside this I also think about AKG D-5 as a backup solution for the nearer stage.

In core you have to think about quality, purpose and money you are willing to spent. For me a microphone, should not cost more than 200 Euros, but it has the be stable and handy.

2 Likes

Update: i have buy now an Sennheiser E945. It’s works well with the MCX8000 great sound.

Yep, having a “swan-neck” mic holder is a good way to go.

Dynamic mics are the way to go, stay away from condenser mics (no controllers or mixers with Phantom power) or anything battery-powered (for wired mics).

Personally I think the worlds most used mic, the Shure SM58, is also the worst microphone for DJs. While indestructible, it’s not a very nice mic from a sound color perspective.

There is a whole range of decent mics available though, so plenty of choice. One of my preferences (great price/quality ratio) is the Rode M1. Sennheiser mics I like also. My personal mic is an old (30 years+) AKG D321 (the filter-less brother of the venerable D330BT). Another brand that is making great strides is Lewitt. The company was founded by a guy that used to work for AKG. They have some really nice mics.

The directional pattern should be cardioid or super-cardioid for minimum risk of feedback as they are most sensitive directly in front. Also make sure you keep the mic close, especially if you have it in a stand.

I’m using a dual AKG WMS40 2/3 mini for the guests and a mono AKG WMS40 1 mini for me.

One more general tip for mic use. ALWAYS instruct people in the audience that are going to speak to use the mic very close to their mouth.

I usually tell them to hold it against their chin (like an electric razor) and speak over the top of it. This has two distinct advantages over keeping it to your lips and speaking directly into it. You get far less breathing and handling noises and the sound pick up is better.

Also it gives people a solid place to put the mic where it’s not in front of their mouth (which seems hard for some people), their mouths can still be seen (lips moving, good for the deaf in the room :smiley:) and -generally speaking- they tend to move it less and when they move their head the mic moves with it, rather than the mic staying were it was and the mouth moving left and right (which raises and lowers the sound level obviously).

And finally, that close to the mouth will increase audibility while simultaneously reducing the chance of feedback when they start walking around, often in front of the speaker. Which you should also tell them not to do, but they will generally forget. So I am happy if they remember to keep it to their chin.

2 Likes

I want also buy a wireless mic handheld. Maby you give me some tips for this.

Is this a good choice:

Sennheiser XSW 65 (Band B, 614-638 MHz) handheld draadloos.

Sennheiser EW D1-945 handheld draadloos (2.4 GHz)