Link 2 s3900s together? (Solved)

djnugz Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:31 am Link 2 s3900s together? (Solved) Is it possible to link 2 s3900s together with an Ethernet without running them to a router? I would like to use a usb drive as a back up, but don’t want to have to carry 2 of them or a router in case of emergency. • Dj-msx Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:33 am Re: Link 2 s3900s together Yes, as long as the cable is the right one for the job, not just a straight PC-to-hub patch cable. Eg. STP crossover type. • djnugz Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:40 pm Re: Link 2 s3900s together Is this pretty straightforward? Just hit link on the deck that needs to be linked? Thanks. • SlayForMoney

Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:12 pm Re: Link 2 s3900s together djnugz wrote:Is this pretty straightforward? Just hit link on the cdj that needs to be linked? Thanks.

SC2900 Manual, page 29 in the PDF version, 23 in the printed version. Please read the manual first then post any questions if anything is not clear enough. • djnugz Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:12 pm Re: Link 2 s3900s together This lists the instructions for using a router, not linked directly together. Am I missing something? • SlayForMoney

Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:43 am Re: Link 2 s3900s together If you don’t use a router then just skip setting up network ID for the player. Also, if I remember correctly, there’s a good workflow video on YT that will show you exactly how to the players behave when linked, difference between using Engine analysed music and non-analysed, etc… • Dj-msx Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:14 pm Re: Link 2 s3900s together Manual page 14… It doesn’t mention the crossover cable type (maybe they assume it’s general knowledge for Ethernet connections?), but it shows the direct connection layout you seem to want. • DJ_Double_A

Type of DJ: Mobile DJ Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:17 am Re: Link 2 s3900s together SlayForMoney wrote:Also, if I remember correctly, there’s a good workflow video on YT that will show you exactly how to the players behave when linked, difference between using Engine analysed music and non-analysed, etc…

There are actually two helpful videos that show the different ways to hookup/use the decks.

Older one. (Start watching at 1:27 for “Offline Mode”), but you should watch the whole video. It’s useful for future reference.

And a newer video. (All the different workflow diagrams start at 21 seconds. The “Offline Mode” is the first one shown.)

/ / /

I would like to use a usb drive as a back up, but don’t want to have to carry 2 of them

A DJ should always have multiple backups when they do a gig. I would never do a gig with a single drive. I always carry at least two (or three) just in case something unexpected were to happen to my main drive. The same goes for a media or cd deck/backup player of some kind. (Murphy’s Law) • djnugz Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:55 am Re: Link 2 s3900s together Tried this and it doesn’t link. I am going to buy a new network cable and see if that’s it. • Dj-msx Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:28 pm Link 2 s3900s together The only thing I remember changing to get them to network properly was ‘network id’ in the utilities menu - numbers eg 1 for left, 2 for right. Then after there’s something loaded up ready to share, press link on the other deck, and choose the deck that shows up. • djnugz Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:22 pm Re: Link 2 s3900s together Ordered a crossover cat 6 cable from Amazon and link is working! Thanks all! • SirReal Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:35 pm Re: Link 2 s3900s together YaY • SlayForMoney

Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:35 pm Re: Link 2 s3900s together DJ_Double_A wrote: SlayForMoney wrote:Also, if I remember correctly, there’s a good workflow video on YT that will show you exactly how to the players behave when linked, difference between using Engine analysed music and non-analysed, etc…

There are actually two helpful videos that break down the different ways to use the decks.

Actually, I was referring to this one:

DJ_Double_A

Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:23 am Re: Link 2 s3900s together That makes 3 video then. (but the two I posted are shorter and to the point)