Key detection comparison 2021

Processing: Key-Detection-Comparison—2021-chart-overview.png…

More details: https://www.reddit.com/r/DJs/comments/rn2wu5/key_detection_comparison_2021/

4 Likes

Why not just find out from artists directly what key each track is written in? By doing this comparison to ear, it still leaves the entire comparison open to subjective review.

Uh sure, sent me their email addresses ?

2 Likes

Shoot me a track list and I’ll see what I can do.

1 Like

Oof there’s a lot of old tunes there. I already have contact info for some of the DNB and breakbeat hardcore artists on the list at first glance.

MiK is always well ahead of the rest, and it’s not expensive, so why use anything else?

3 Likes

Convenience for one. Import your new tracks to one program, where they are analysed quickly and ready to use - rather than having to run them through MIK first, where it writes the info to your files, then importing to program #2 whose own analysis has to be switched off so it doesn’t overwrite anything, and dragging the MIK data back out.

Besides, MIK doesn’t analyse from streaming services, so you’d end up with some tracks analysed in s/w #1 and others analysed in s/w #2 which is not a good idea.

1 Like

I don’t produce music…so I stick with the key analysis of the dj program I’m using…If it’s bad, it’s bad. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@bascurtiz good job with the comparison.

I did one for BPM and downbeat identification as well, but using a very small sample size.

It doesn’t really matter what key detection software you use.

Why? Because if the software is wrong, it’s usually wrong in one direction so you will still mix complimentary keys.

1 Like

Use your ears and trust your feelings.

Every good DJ should be able to know which songs are matching and which song to play next.

If you are good you don’t use sync and you don’t need a key.

If you are a good dj and use more than 3 decks, sync becomes very helpful.

1 Like

In “real Life” any of the detection tools are good enough.

Becoming a “key slave” will ruin your creativity and mixes.

It’s a tool, not a spiritual guide :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Some of the dudes my brother hung around in the 90’s keyed their tracks by ear and wrote the keys and bpm’s on stickers and sometimes even on the label. It’s not new technology and it’s something DJ’s have been doing since the disco era. You’ll be okay letting technology and set prep help you on your gigs.