Introducing the SoundSwitch Control One - A Professional DMX Lighting Controller for DJs

The control one comes with a trial sub.

Exactly. Without a X1800/1850 mixer. The control one will only control the unit which it’s connected to.

Correct.

You may want to look into other solutions eg Wolfmix W1.

1 Like

But would be automatically converted into a monthly fee subscription, there is no way to get a free license without the automatically conversion to a monthly fee subscription and there is no minimal software to download to just set the DMX channels.

Sorry, with a X1850 mixer!

This is not an option, meanwhile I will look into something I can use my own tool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kyjajE7mRk like sync with the app LINK TO MIDI: https://g-zi.de/Vid/Link2MIDI.mov and wait for the next version of the Control One with bigger display and the availability to re-program it on the fly and the next maior release of SoundSwitch or wait until the Micro DMX Interface is available again.

Update: It sounds that the Wolfmix W1 can be synced with Ableton Link but might need a special software (WLINK) for that.

Of course not - in the same way that’s it’s not possible to get a free Control One.

I’m having trouble understanding why you were happy to pay $300 to buy the hardware, but won’t even take out a trial of the software.

The only way to use the product is to configure it with the software first. Did you not read any reviews or watch any videos before you purchased?

It’s perfectly possible to cancel the subscription at any time.

1 Like

Of course I did: SoundSwitch - The Best Way to Light your Event From this site: Prefer performing without a computer? Control One is plug and play compatible with Engine DJ hardware running Engine DJ v2.0 or higher. Simply connect Control One to an available USB port on the Engine DJ hardware. Once connected, you’ll have full standalone control over the entire performance environment, music, and lights.

So I have Engine DJ software and hardware, there is only one sentence: “Powered by SoundSwitch” what I think is in Engine DJ. Then it should be possible to drive the Control One with Engine DJ hardware, what I have. There is no sentence “you need SoundSwitch” or so.

I don’t have anything against trial’s but I don’t like the automatic subscription to monthly fees! Please post the complete sentence and not just grab a part of it, here again the complete sentence: “But would be automatically converted into a monthly fee subscription, there is no way to get a free license without the automatically conversion to a monthly fee subscription and there is no minimal software to download to just set the DMX channels.”

Why is it not possible to just set the DMX channels on the Control One or have at least a very simple program to set the DMX channels?

I can only assume then that you have never signed up for a trial of any subscription service - because they all work the same way. After the trial, they start to take a monthly payment…unless you cancel.

1 Like

Oh yes I have tried a lot of software without automatic subscription, I have to say that I have seen this first with SoundSwitch, I cannot subscribe to SoundSwitch before I make a contract!

1 Like

Many services offers/offered the same:

Tidal - Free to try then auto sub kicks in.

Beatport - Free to try then auto sub kicks in.

DropBox Plus - Free to try then auto sub kicks in.

Netflix - Free to try then auto sub kicks in.

Disney Plus - Free to try then auto sub kicks in.

Rekordbox - NO free to try, just pay from the start.

Really nothing to debate here. It’s simple: Pay for the SoundSwitch service (which it sounds like you don’t want to do), use the tool that you built, or purchae a standalone DMX control board. SoundSwitch wasn’t misleading anyone on how the Control One, or any of the DMX interfaces work.

1 Like

All of those exept the last one (recordbox is free) are file transfer subscriptions, not software!

I can name a lot of software where you can have test versions without an automatic subscription to monthly fee: MAMP Eagle Ableton Live Loopback MPlab kikad meshlab Preform DxO Traktor Serato Auth0 Max Cura Eclipse Petrel VMware tNavigator … I have tested or still use all of those software packages.

Yes, your absolutely right exept the advert of Control One, thats misleading.

Advert is not misleading.

Please do your research (SoundSwitch website, SoundSwitch YouTube page):

Questions you want answered:

1. How does Control One work? Lights have to be programmed.

2. How do I program the lights? SoundSwitch desktop software.

3. Is SoundSwitch desktop free? Free to try then I have to subscribe or purchase a license.

4. After I program the lights, do I need my laptop to run Control One? No, not with a full Engine DJ top end. Yes, if I’m using it with a DJ software (Serato or VDJ).

5. Do I need to keep a SoundSwitch subscription? No, If I’m never going to change my lighting rig and use the Control One with a full Engine DJ top end. Yes, If I intend on making changes to my lighting rig, using it with a DJ software, or scripting individual tracks.

1 Like

Oh Mixlive, you do not need to convince me. I still have made my choise. I tried to get a test version without autosubscription, thats not possible, I have been forced to create a iLok subscription but even that is not working, I cannot subscribe to SoundSwitch without buying anything to get a test version. I have sent back the Control One and will wait until the next release. Hopefully with a bigger display and the ability to change the DMX channels. Don’t take me wrong, as I said it’s a nice piece of hardware but it’s not a stand alone tool (and the display is really much to small)!