Fx 1&2 display timeouts?

is it normal for the displays below the fx2 dials to go dark after the unit has had a period of no use? (kind of acts like a screensaver) it takes moving them to bring back the display again. - even after pressing play / using other functions cheers

My understanding is this is desired behaviour due to the screens being OLED and this being a way to fend off burn-in for longer.

was just checking that it happens to other peoples p4 too?

I guessed it was something as you describe, but wanted to be sure as the 2 year warranty that I get with the distributors is up soonā€¦

Can you quantify how many minutes it takes to turn off your display? This has never happened to me, but I also have to say that when Iā€™m not using the console, I turn it off. :smiley:

What seems strange to me is that if there was some kind of ā€œscreensaverā€ that comes into operation on OLED displays, then that screensaver should affect ALL OLED displays and not just those of the FX2. That is, the FX1 displays should also go out, I mean? :wink:

Prime 4 user hereā€¦

If you donā€™t press a button on the controller (the touch screen doesnā€™t count) then the OLEDs go dim after around 5 minutes and off after about 8 minutes (kinda). It should affect both sides.

I get a slight issue where if you have the Beat Break effect loaded into an FX bank and the screen saver kicks in, it kills the OLEDs as normal but waking it up by touching a Prime 4 button doesnā€™t turn on the ā€˜PATTERNā€™ OLED.

Itā€™s minor and Iā€™ve mentioned it in feedback to Denon DJ. The only way around it is to twist the pattern knob to wake that particular OLED up. Itā€™s so minor most people will probably miss it!

@MrWilks Thanks for this - you have put my mind at rest. glad Iā€™m not the only one. I had noticed the beat break thing too but I agree, it is minor and doesnā€™t seem to affect any operation of the unit.

@DjAj it is weird, I wonder what was ā€œspecialā€ about those displays and not the others

1 Like

No worries. Glad you are all sorted for you.

The OLED displays have individual pixels that light up and LCD displays have liquid crystal with a backlight. With OLED, if you keep an image on for too long you will see this ā€˜burntā€™ into the display. You can see this a lot on phones in mobile phone shops as they have the brightness up 100% and usually have fixed images on screen for 12 hours a day. The Android navigation buttons can be seen long after they have gone. TVs also suffer from it with channel logos (DOGs) but I think LG are one of a few OLED TV manufacturers using OLED as Samsung decided against it (unless they changed their mind?).

Always good advice not to have a sat nav burning away on your phone for two hours when driving as you may permanently have a ghost image on the screen!

1 Like

Well, now I know too: it had never happened to me. :+1:

@jamm can you confirm that only the FX2 displays turn off as you wrote? From what @MrWilks wrote, all OLED displays should go out, not only FX2.

will check when i get home i am working from memory (which aint great!)

Edit: 1 AND 2 - my bad. influenced by the thread next door

changed title

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.