Feature Request: Auto Mix

Prime 2 has a continuous play feature but this leaves gaps in between songs. For things like background music during meals, buffets or the early part of an evening, the ability to change where and how the song mixes would be good - similar to the features available virtual dj and such.

3 Likes

OK but (in my opinion/experience) if itā€™s just for background music, nobodyā€™s going to care whether itā€™s mixed or not. Even when people are dancing, it isnā€™t really necessary for the music to be mixed.

Only the DJ cares. The audience does not.

4 Likes

Have you never used BPM STUDIO - TRAKTOR - SERATO - REKORDBOX to manage music for diffusion in pub or disco? The fade in and fade out function is the most important tool to delete the silence between tracks!! So, how could you say this is secondary? Really incredibile.

1 Like

Guess thatā€™s matter of opinion, and yeh probably it is more the DJ that cares but I like everything to look and sound professional and personally Iā€™m not a fan of a gap of silence between songs. In some cases there could be 5 or more seconds of dead air at the end of mp3s!

Itā€™s a feature that has been around as long as DJ software has existed, so just asking the question if it can be added to Prime 2 & 4?

Iā€™m not suggesting that your request should be ignored. Iā€™m just saying itā€™s highly unlikely that clients will care whether thereā€™s a gap between songs whilst theyā€™re eating (etc).

Yeh thatā€™s fine mate, buffet is one area that I would use auto play/mix, also use that function for background music during a Karaoke and quiz evenings etc and as I said my personal preference would be to eliminate gaps between songs. Iā€™m certain that would be the preference of most!

1 Like

Hi Guys! I would like to use the missed Automix function on my LOVED Prime 2!

THX!

So many different posts on this request to Auto Mix songs in a playlist which I agree with. Even rekordbox has a horrible version of this capability with no fine tuning (fade in/out, cut out silence, etc).

Currently none of the major DJ Software like Serato, Rekordbox, Engine DJ have an Automix feature so if you look at it that way Engine DJ is par for the course. Obviously what many of us want is to use a strong DJ Software like those mentioned above but with the features of Virtual DJ or even algoriddam Djay Pro software which both of those offer the Automix feature.

Why is everyone ā€œattackingā€ engine dj?? Iā€™m not sure attacking is the correct word but hounding possibly. I feel the reason is engine DJ has been making the most advances lately (more then the othersā€¦ except Virtual DJ has made some huge jumps recently as well). Since the developers of engine DJ seem to care, it might have a change to consider adding an Automix feature.

Whats crazy to me is the big three (Serato, rekordbox and engineDJ) all analyze the music for beatgrids which VirtualDJ doesnā€™t do well. In fact if any of you use SoundSwitch only and try and use VirtualDJ strictly youā€™ll more then likely be presented with an error when trying to autoscript your song or playlist within SoundSwitch spitting out an error, track missing beatgrid. Now run that song through any of the big three and try autoscript and it works.

SO my point beingā€¦ the big three have a better understanding of the song with an accurate beatgrid but canā€™t produce an automix featureā€¦ odd.

Most have an automix type to include:

• Smart (analyzes the gap or where the outro is)
  • Fade (remote intro/outro)
  • Fade (remove silence)
  • Fade (remove nothing)
  • Fade out, Cut in (remove silence)
  • None (back to back)

These seem simple enough but Iā€™m not a developer for the software but if I were, this feature would be built in and would be the first of the big three to have it. Until thenā€¦ using my Macbook Pro in controller mode on the denon prime go so I can run VirtualDJ but secretly I wish it was built into the engine DJ software then I could do everything from my denon prime go without my laptop especially since you can run lights from the denon prime go (engine DJ) as well but the Automix is the deal breaker at the moment but easy work around using a laptop with VirtualDJ

Why is it odd? Maybe they consider that professional DJs donā€™t need automix.

What I find odd is that you donā€™t include VDJ in your ā€œmajor DJ softwareā€ (but you did include Engine DJ which is library/database software.)

1 Like

Like I said, very touchy subject which Iā€™m not sure why itā€™s a big deal if a feature is added to the software or not. Some close minded individuals (probably windows users) are so against new features. You donā€™t need to use all features in a software platform.

Of course I included engine DJā€¦ itā€™s built into most stand alone controllers by Denon. I would say thatā€™s more powerful than other software platforms that is not built into stand alone controllers.

Also I mentioned the big 3 that can correctly analyze music and VDJ does not as I mentioned and tested so therefore itā€™s not a big3. Also the big3 have proprietary hardware you will only find engine dj in denon hardware pioneer and many others make hardware for either rekordbox OR serato

no hardware is strictly VDJ or algoriddam djayā€¦ I mention algoriddam djay since itā€™s the best dj software on iPad Pro so far.

we all have our opinions but this feature should be easy and can be used or not used. some fans will use it and others wonā€™t. it doesnā€™t make the software less of a performance beast with this feature added.

Firstly welcome to the forum, it usually helps to do an introduction of yourself, who you are, what type of music you play etc, before going in headfirst with the long winded rants.

Lets try and clear up some of your comments here.

95% of the personal computer market is made up of WIndows based computers, so its probably best not to throw comments like this around.

On your point about software, ill give you some information as it seems you are getting mixed up between Software and FIrmware.

Firstly Engine OS is the ā€˜firmwareā€™ that powers Inmusic standalone products, it operates solely inside the hardware devices, and it works much in the same way that Pioneers Rekordbox Firmware does for their own standalone devices. These devices are marketed as ā€˜performance DJā€™ items and aimed towards that kind of DJ. To date there are no standalone devices from either of the two main brands that offer any kind of auto mix feature, and the sensible conclusion would be that the market for those items doesnā€™t demand it in any sort of quantity that requires development.

That is something for DJ product related developers to decide, not something that we on the forums should be speculating about with such gusto.

I have no idea what makes you believe this, but why would you assume the hardware inside a standalone device is as powerful as that inside a modern computer? Also what makes you think its as flexible for making changes as computer based software?

Computer based software is infinitely more flexible and taps into far more power than the OS of standalone hardware can. The units connected to Laptop software are nothing more than midi controllers that send midi messages to the computer, which in turn powers all the features being used.

So to clear up:

Laptop based DJ software: Serato DJ Pro, Virtual DJ, Algoriddim DJ, Rekordbox DJ (performance mode)

Laptop based music prep software: Rekordbox, Engine Desktop

Hardware based firmware: Engine OS, Rekordbox OS

thanks for the reply. i suppose i understand more. honestly was trying to help engine dj (as a software whether firmware in the controllers or laptop based) be a more successful DJ software platform. As it stands now they have a long way to go.

just a note on windows vs macā€™s yea windows has more of the market but itā€™s not 95% anymore but any professional in any of the jobs I do utilize a mac and mostly because they are reliable and donā€™t crash when u need them. Itā€™s the difference between a chevy equinox (a ton of those crap boxes on the roadā€¦ cheap, affordable and functional but not designed for the long haul or to be reliableā€¦ thatā€™s windowsā€¦ vs a toyota 4runner thatā€™s built to last a million miles)

i see everyone who has brought this ā€œfeature requestā€ up get the same treatment. So I see why this feature will never get added. Totally fineā€¦ there are BETTER options like VDJ which is probably the most popular software used today. so doesnā€™t effect me. PEACE

That is your opinion, and youā€™re entitled to it, however as far as the players themselves go, id say its the ā€˜otherā€™ brand who have the catching up to do in many areas. Their desktop software needs some work but its certainly not show stopping right now.

Funny, i work for a large telecom company (120000 employees) in system support and everybody uses WIndows based machines to carry out their day to day work, from coders/developers to end users. Im personally using a Surface Laptop 4 and its just as reliable as any of the 3 Macbooks ive had for personal and DJ use, its also just as well built and usable as the Mac too. I think your views on the matter are too emotional to look at it with any balance.

Im not sure what you mean by this, i personally was addressing some of your confusion around what does what in the DJ world, and the difference between software and firmware and why it matters.

If youā€™re happy with Virtual DJ then continue to use it, it is the most popular software for mobile and event DJs due to its feature set that is tailored for that space, much in the same way a pair of CDJs and DJM mixer are popular in the club/bar/dance music space due to their feature set, horses for courses and all of that. Inmusic/Denon are clearly trying to pave their way in the latter, which as far as im aware they have never tried to hide.

We will not agree on the windows vs mac debate but I too have worked in the military for years (way more employees than 120,000), worked in the top IT consulting companies (again much more than 120k) and every technical vendor came in with Macā€™s. All of our power users at these companies utilize Macā€™s since they are built on Linux OS which is so far still the most secure operating system which is why 99% of websites are built on Linux and not the unreliable Microsoft IIS product.

Majority of professional mixing/scratching DJā€™s (not your wedding DJ which are also professional) from what Iā€™ve seen all use Macā€™s but again if you are happy with windoze then good for you. Rock On and Play Hard. Iā€™ve been burned as well as many have been burned by windoze failing during an event. So far since 2000 (thats 23 years) using Macs since they moved to Linux and Intel chipsets, never failed.

I doubt you are DJing with a surface and if you are good for you being able to DJ on a iPad wanna be. I hope for your sake you donā€™t run into a notorious blue screen of death (what windows is famous for). Of course there will be haters but us Mac users donā€™t care if you hate on Macā€¦ we Mac users will still be running on the same hardware after youā€™ve had to replace your windows laptop several times. lol

I appreciate your comments but we have different opinions.

You win on pushing me off this forum. I thought this forum was focused on helping build engine DJ and wanted to participate in helping. I donā€™t want to be here defending feature requests, or any comment I make so Iā€™m out hereā€¦ I donā€™t need this crapā€¦ and obviously other forums (like VDJ) is much better at taking suggestions and discussing topics. I can tell you are very young and inexperienced in comparison just donā€™t need the whining.

Im not addressing all the Windows vs Mac nonsense again, its petty and childish, and you clearly didnā€™t read a single thing i wrote above.

The trouble with making assumptions, they are often incorrect.

As far as the feature request goes, nobody is saying it is a bad idea, in fact its a pretty good idea. The key is how you deliver those thoughts, and accurately distinguishing between the different platforms youā€™re comparing. In this case you compared a piece of hardware OS with 3 pieces of computer software, and that in itself runs into some issues.

Nobody is pushing you from the forum, and if you actually bother to read through many of the threads you will see help being given out and received across the board, and plenty of feature requests being voted on, ive certainly used all my 10 allocated votes.

Perhaps when joining a forum you should take consideration to how you introduce yourself, your opening comment here is certainly not endearing is it, you dont even get past the 2nd paragraph before youā€™re throwing accusations around.

If you feel strongly about this request, search for the actual feature request dedicated to it and use one of your votes on it, im not sure bumping a 3 year old thread with no option to vote is going to achieve much regarding you ā€˜helping it to get betterā€™.